Author Topic: rescues - how do you deal with "I've got a stray" calls  (Read 2273 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: rescues - how do you deal with "I've got a stray" calls
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 11:38:58 AM »
  She rang me in a bit of a rage because nobody would take him,

Some people think we are sat here just waiting for them to tell us they have a cat for us. I ear it every day, many are amazed when I say it  or more usually they will have to go on the list of cats waiting to come in. Many say well its not my problem. Unfortunately when we have no room  there is not a lot we can do. I have often been offered money, I don't think the believe me when I say you could offer me £1000000 and I still could not take the cat in. I mean that, money does not buy a cat a place. We take cats in purely on need.

Her OH's reactions sorrow me
I agree, it is not the cats fault. Once neutered within about 3 weeks or even sooner it may become  a dream.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 11:29:12 AM »
Ela, have you ever had an unneutered Tom that was chipped? In our experience - full Tom = no chip = either no owner, or one that doesn't care..

Um, Um, now let me think. I cannot think of a single one.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 11:26:29 AM »
Dawn

If she's thinking of getting her own cat tested for FIV, it's best to wait at least a couple of months for the antibodies to show up. FIV is a weak virus, so even if the stray is positive, it's not for sure her own cat will be as well.

If the stray is positive, she'll have to find an indoor home - assuming he'll be happy as an indoor puss.

Her OH's reactions sorrow me. It's the hormones that make them stay and fight, or invade another cat's territory. A cat's natural reactions to a confrontation is to run. Ask her OH if his private bits have ever done the thinking for him, and whether he's like his whole character judged an the actions of a such a small body part..  :rofl: :rofl:

Ela, have you ever had an unneutered Tom that was chipped? In our experience - full Tom = no chip = either no owner, or one that doesn't care..  :(

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 11:19:10 AM »
We advise:-  If you have a cat living with you and think is either lost, abandoned, the owner has moved and left it behind (sadly all too common and to think the cats/s was the result of someone’s so called good home, or you know of anyone else with such a cat  DO NOT ASSUME IT HAS NO OWNER (OR ASSUME IT HAS), PLEASE REPORT IT TO US IMMEDIATELY EVEN IF IT LOOKS IN PERFECT HEALTH, PLEASE THINK HOW YOU WOULD FEEL IF YOU LOST YOUR CAT AND SOMEONE DID NOT BOTHER TO REPORT IT  It may simply be lost and could have been lost months previously. It is not unknown for cats to get into cars, removal vans, and so on, and be transported miles from their homes. We have hundreds of lost cats on our Lost and Found Register and the number increases on a daily basis.  Most of the cats who go missing must be out there somewhere and, although we do manage to reunite quite a few with their owners, most of them are taken in or being fed by well meaning people, but are never actually reported., depending on the condition of the cat and the safety of the location we can decide what course of action to take to ensure the cat receives all the help it needs.  E.G. if the cat is well please ring our lost & found xxxx xxxxxx take the cat to a vet to see if has been micro chipped, alternatively if you live near some of our fosterers (5 have microchip readers) they will do it for you. If there is no record perhaps you could on a long thin piece of paper write do I belong to you and your telephone number then attach the paper to a cat collar by wrapping sellotape round and round then put the collar on the cat if after 3 days you have received no reply take the collar off as they are considered dangerous and many cats have lost their life to them, ring us and we will put the cat on the list waiting to come in. If you ring Elaine xxxxx xxxxxx she will supply you with a paper collar which is very safe.  PLEASE OFFER THE CAT SHELTER &  FEED IT, I KNOW SOME ORGANIZATIONS SAY DON'T AND THEY IT WILL MOVE ON, HOWEVER IN OUR VIEW THAT IS CALLOUS, I AM SURE IF YOU LOST A PET IT WOULD BE NICE TO THINK SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE WAS CARING FOR IT. ALSO THE CAT HAS A GREATER CHANCE OF FINDING ITS OWNER  OR COMING INTO CARE AS IT IS NOT ROAMING FROM STREET TO STREET LOOKING FOR ITS NEXT MEAL AND ENDANGERING ITS LIFE. We also suggest that you ring the Cats Protection Headquarters shelter in Derby  xxxxx xxxxxx between 11 am & 3 pm   any day and put the cat/s on their list of cats waiting to come in, as a shelter they usually home much quicker than us therefore spaces become available more frequently. If they cannot help please ring Elaine, If the cat appears below par PLEASE  contact us immediately and we will pay for the cat to be seen by a vet and if possible bring the cat in.
IF THE CAT IS TIMID AND YOU CANNOT CATCH IT WE HAVE TRAPS, AT LEAST THEN THE LITTLE ONE CAN BE TAKEN TO THE VETS TO SCAN, HAVE A MOT, FLEA AND WORM TREATMENT ETC.
Also contact PET SEARCH UK xxxxx xxxxxx

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 10:08:19 AM »
It's always difficult when they say "I've got this cat in a box.."  :-:

We'd prefer she keep feeding him so he doesn't run off, then he'll be placed on the list to come in.

When his slot comes up, we'd arrange for her to drop him off at the vet and we'll take over. We'd neuter him, chip and vac and test for FIV/FeLV - the whole shamozzle.

If anyone out there is thinking of lifting a cat like this, do it on a week day night and usually the vet can neuter the next day if asked nicely. But it's frustration when folks catch a cat on Friday or Saturday night - especially as in some cases the cat has been visiting for weeks!  :tired:

Tell your pal to get him on a list somewhere and keep feeding him. This time of year she shouldn't have to wait long... but rescues do need a bit of notice.  ;)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
rescues - how do you deal with "I've got a stray" calls
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 09:53:26 AM »
a friend of mine rang me frantic on Friday night about a stray cat she had in a box, it has previously beaten up her own cat and her cat currently is being treated for an abscess at the base of her tail probably from him.  My friend came home to find him on her lawn with lots of bald patches and decided she was going to help him, she put in him a box with some food and water and flea treated him and started ringing rescues where she got no joy. 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 16:34:58 PM by Dawn F »

Link to CatChat