Author Topic: Rehomed cat - time indoors?  (Read 5118 times)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
Re: Rehomed cat - time indoors?
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 17:34:59 PM »
I'd base my decision on how well the cat is settling in, not on a finite time period. Some cats setlle after a couple of weeks, others take longer. None would be allowed outside until they are chipped. At present I have two newbies, Smidgen and Esther. Smidgen is around 16 weeks (b. 8 May) and Esther is a rescue cat of indeterminate age, but an adult. She is fairly timid and does not like being picked up. She startles when new sudden events occur and can be reluctant to be approached. She alone will not be allowed out until she is comfortable with me walking up to her and picking her up and allowing me to hold her long enough to get her inside. She will also not be allowed out until she responds to her name by coming to me.

Smidgen is rather more confident and so, in normal circumstances would probably be venturing outside, supervised, already except a) he is not chipped and has not finished his vaccination course and b) I have an urban fox over the back fence and he is not yet big enough to face it down. I have had them since the end of July, to give you an idea of timescales.

Hope this helps you make your decision. Some cats never go outside and I have had several who fall into this category. As long as you can provide them with lots of physical activity and mental stimulation, they are fine with this.

Best of luck and welcome to Purrs.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 17:26:53 PM »
 :welcome: Gail

Is he chipped?
Its good to have recall with them, treats in a pot that rattle is a good sound and doesnt take long to achieve the desired reaction.

When you do let him out do it on a day you have no other commitments so you dont have to shut him out if he doesnt return when you need him to. Nothing worse than to be sat at work worrying if he is ok.

Final thing, do you have any pics? Gingers are my fav  :Luv:

Offline Rosiecat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 17:11:37 PM »
I would have him microchipped first, if not done already  :)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 16:07:41 PM »
Welcome to Purrs.

We always recommend 8 weeks in the hope that people will keep a cat in for 4 weeks. Please remember you are the adult and know the implications of allowing the little one out early you cat does not.

I would suggest  you always  provide a litter tray irrespective of your cats age, if you keep an eye on what your cat is passing, you can spot many problems, e.g, cystitis is very common in cats and needs urgent Veterinary treatment. It is shown up if the cat uses the tray frequently and or, passes blood, something you would never know if you had no tray.

We also advise people to never let cats out once it is dark or leave them outside all day if you work.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 11:25:48 AM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 15:56:38 PM »
At two weeks he may be ok, but I'd give it a bit longer.

Has he bonded well with you? That makes a lot of difference.

I think cats who have come from foster homes take longer than cats that have been in pens.

make sure when you let him out he is hungry so should come back for food. Have some photos taken in case he does a runner and you need to put up posters. Also even if you don't like collars I personally think a safety collar on him with your contact details - you can always ditch it in a few weeks.

Finally, if he does go out and diappear for a day, don't panic too much - a lot of cats seem to go for a wander in a new place, its almost as if they go off to suss out the neighbourhood.

Offline GP

• Kitten
Rehomed cat - time indoors?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 15:48:42 PM »
Hello

Anyone any opinions about how long to keep a new (5 yr old ginger) rescue cat indoors until I can let him out?
He is used to being outside and tells me hourly how he needs to go out. (using his litter tray only when desperate!)

I've had him in for two weeks now,and he is feeling more settled and is eating better now.

Vets, rescue home people, my own experience varies, so what does the forum think?

:shify:

many thanks

Gail

Link to CatChat