Author Topic: Please can anyone help, another cat needing a home...  (Read 7298 times)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
Re: Please can anyone help, another cat needing a home...
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2007, 17:39:22 PM »
I have come to the conclusion that 63% of the population is alergic to cats,

Someone once asked me to take in their cat (who had lived happily with the family dog for years) because the dog was allergic to the cat.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2007, 17:14:30 PM »
I understand that in some parts of Australia they do not like cats that much and almost consider them as vermin.

Granted that cats are not well-thought of in certain circles in my home country, but taking them into the country is not that big of a drama with a little forethought. The only exclusions would be for certain breeds of cat (eg Bengals have to be F5 or greater, the ones closer to the wild-cat cross are not accepted). There are also some parts of the country where the local authority limits owners to not more than 2 cats unless they are registered breeders, but a) these local regulations are not policed unless someone complains and b) we are talking one cat here. So taking it into the country (unless it is an excluded breed) is not, or should not, be a problem for the owner if they cared for the animal at all. Quarantine kennels run by the government are limited, as you correctly point out, and the AQIS site makes it clear you have to book ahead. However there are other facilities that are approved facilities where the animal can also sit out its quarantine period. So again, there is no excuse except laziness on the part of the irresponsible owner. Unless the cat is suffering from some form of illness that requires it to be medicated during the flight, there really is no argument for not taking it, as I intend to take mine back with me when I leave here and as I have taken my dog (and cats) to NZ and the UK with me as I have moved around.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2007, 16:37:29 PM »
I have come to the conclusion that 63% of the population is alergic to cats,

Someone once asked me to take in their cat (who had lived happily with the family dog for years) because the dog was allergic to the cat.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2007, 16:35:05 PM »
But why don't they take it to Oz with them? An 8 yo cat would make the journey no problems.

I understand that in some parts of Australia they do not like cats that much and almost consider them as vermin.

There are a very limited number  (3 I think) of quarantine kennels in Australia and they are booked up always for many months ahead. Although the quarantine period is only 30 days.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2007, 16:26:40 PM »
Not all dogs like cats &  I know are few rescues that wont rehome with cats.

I appreciate that but as I say all our fosterers have dogs and I expect have many posters on here and often given patience the introductions can be very successful.

Too many people use it as an excuse for not taking a relatives cat. If for instance someone dies, often friends and relatives will strip the house of all its effects, can’t wait for the will to be read, but when it comes to the cat the all have an excuse usually an allergy or they have a dog.

MBll

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2007, 16:00:06 PM »

So often people use the excuse that they cannot take in a relations cat because they have a dog, well most of the fosters have dogs and given time it can work out if you bother to try.

Not all dogs like cats &  I know are few rescues that wont rehome with cats.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2007, 14:03:33 PM »
Ummm, just a thought. But why don't they take it to Oz with them? An 8 yo cat would make the journey no problems. The only possible impediment is that they may have left it a bit late to book it into quarantine as there is a waiting list there ...

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007, 13:15:53 PM »
After having only a month or so on the phones at CP, I have heard the following excuses for not offering temporary shelter to a stray, or for immediate and desperate need to have a cat rehomed (TODAY!) used at least a 4 times...

1. I/my partner is alergic.

2. My new baby is alergic.

3. I have my children's dog visiting at weekend.

4. My resident cat is old and I don't want to upset it.

I have come to the conclusion that 63% of the population is alergic to cats, and the remaining 37% can't shut a door...  :shify:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 10:48:32 AM »
Her or her partner are allergic to cats otherwise they would have her

Sorry but where have I heard that before. I am asthmatic and have up to 8 inhalers a day and some cats get me in a terrible state however, with a few eye drops and antihistamines, within a few day all is OK. I understand  Petal Cleanse™ works wonders, it is a surfactant based lotion that removes from the coats of cats, dogs and other pets the allergens that cause allergic reactions in humans see www.woofnwhiskers.com/info-store/petal-cleanse.htm.

So often people use the excuse that they cannot take in a relations cat because they have a dog, well most of the fosters have dogs and given time it can work out if you bother to try.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 11:32:47 AM by Ela »

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 21:11:23 PM »
Hear hear Mark! I think the lady whose sister in law it is would be in full agreement.

Ela - I think she is in the Northern part of the North West, she is based at our Preston office. I will find out more details on Monday and let you know. That's a very kind offer, I appreciate how full everyone is. If it comes to it I will be happy to help with transport if the lady cannot manage it herself. (My most recent foster dog went to her new home in Derby yesterday so it could be a good opportunity to visit her too)

The lady at work has been trying for a while, there was a home lined up which sadly fell through. Her or her partner are allergic to cats otherwise they would have her. I will make more enquiries and keep you posted.

Thanks again, hopefully in the meantime something may have come up closer to home. 

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 13:57:17 PM »
Where in the North West Please?

If no one nearer can help if you can get the cat to me I will take it although we are full to bursting and have a huge list of cats waiting to come in. I cannot see a little one PTS when it is unnecessary.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 16:06:51 PM by Ela »

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 13:54:30 PM »
PTS the sister-in-law heartless blitch  >:(

Couldnt have put it better myself Mark!  :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 13:01:51 PM »
PTS the sister-in-law heartless blitch  >:(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
Please can anyone help, another cat needing a home...
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 12:37:22 PM »
Hi all,

just thought I'd try here - there is a post on our work forum a lady in the North west is trying to find a ome for her sister in laws cat as she is moving to Australia. Sister in law thinks best to PTS but this lady trying to help.

cat is approx 8 (I think) tortie and sounds like she is of the type who 'must be obeyed'.....

They have been looking for a while. I can get more details if anyone thinks they can help and I'm sure this lady will be happy for people to contact her

Thanks - I know rescues are silly busy just now but it's always worth a try

x

Link to CatChat