Author Topic: I'M NOT HAPPY (AGAIN)  (Read 2956 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: I'M NOT HAPPY (AGAIN)
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2007, 10:35:31 AM »
Sometimes yes, but not always.  And in a situation where someone might be evicted they are probably hoping there will be a last minute reprieve.

I do know what you are saying and some people do ring and ask for advise in some situations, what I say to them is put the cats on the list waiting to come in and every day you are moving up, you can always change your mind or if they ring you before a final decision is made defer bringing in the cat but you will still be top of the list.

However many of the cases we deal with there is no chance that they will win a reprieve and it is always those types who don't bother until the last minute. Then usually tell us it is our responsibility to take the cat or more usually cats.
What make me even more annoyed is when they have known for months there is a problem yet it is a mum and kittens that needs to come in. At least had they bothered to get mum spayed the problem would have been more easily resolved.

Another problem I find is  relations purchasing kittens for usually the elderly and within days the new owner cannot cope and we are asked to bring in the kittesns, of course the person who purchased the cat does not want to know.

Very recently a man who lives in London purchased two kittens for his very elderly mum to keep her company, she just could not cope but he did not want to know and just said I can't do anything now I live in London. It put s us in a very difficult situation when you have a very elderly person crying I can't cope.  Of course somehow we do help but it is at the expense of another desperate cat/kitten.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2007, 10:17:33 AM »
Sometimes yes, but not always.  And in a situation where someone might be evicted they are probably hoping there will be a last minute reprieve.  Those who don't want to give up their pets will not want to give them away too early in case things change and they can keep them after all.

One of my work colleagues decided to go travelling for a year about 18 months ago.  She and her husband had got 2 kittens about a year previously (she had a cat a a child and always wanted her own cat, so when they bought their own property they went out and got 2 kittens.  Had no plans to go travelling at that point) so she had to rehome them.  She was really upset about it and started looking months before they left but couldn't find anyone.  Originally she wanted someone to foster them for a year (with her paying all costs) but realised eventually that perhaps it would be better to rehome them permanently.  She found someone then they changed their mind.  Eventually she found someone at work to take them on permanently but it was all a bit last minute.  She was really upset about the whole thing.

Of course those kind of people seem to be in the  minority, but sometimes people may come across as not caring or having left it til the last minute but really they're just desperate and angry at being in a situation where they have to give them up at all.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2007, 10:10:06 AM »
I agree there are some genuine reasons why a cat or more usually cats needs to come into care. However, very often in those cases the owner has known for weeks often months that their situation is about to change yet sometimes it is not until a few days before of even the actual day of the change that they try to find somewhere for the pets. Only last week I had a man with 2 cats and a dog, he admitted he had known for months he was to be evicted but he just thought when the time came a rescue would be able to take the pets in that day. I can't tell you the number of times people have rang me and were driving around with the pets in the car. It is heartbreaking but also galling when they have known the situation for a long time.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2007, 09:49:10 AM »
Some people have no choice if their circumstances change and they can't choose where they live.  It's often distressing for people to have to give up their pets - they're not always being heartless.  And most don't realise the demand on rescues - they just reach out to the rspca and cp etc thinking these people are the experts then when they get told there's no room at the inn they just don't know what to do or where to turn.  I know there are loads of people who don't care, but sometimes people are genuine and just exasperated and upset when they are told they can't keep their pet but can't find anyone to take it.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2007, 09:42:31 AM »
. I wonder if it would be worth starting a collection for one of these sheds ?

Do they have runs?

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2007, 21:28:41 PM »
I have to say we don't even take holidays one of us is always here for the mob and Jazz the dog and we both work round our work schedules - I said at time of my interview if Robin is away all week I will work from home and they have honoured it already - one week home in July and another in November

Also have to say that I don't trust people with the cats as they are set in their ways and who would want ot do 18 litter trays daily and remember to feed the outside cats in 3 locations abd give Tyson his special treat and dog biscuits for the 4 visitng dogs from next door and up the hill - sometimes its like we feed everything that moves!!!  :Crazy:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 21:22:41 PM »
I agree Mojo  >:(

I get worried going away for one night and leaving them with all their timed duishes and army of litter trays and bowls of biscuits  :(

Offline Mojo

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 19:17:46 PM »
I cant stand this throwaway world we live in nowadays, where even a living creature can be seen as a commodity, that can just be thrown away or discarded when its not needed/wanted or the person has grown bored of it.  >:( >:( >:(

Sorry just made me seethe reading this post, but I guess you rescue guys get that feeling whenever you come off the phone to a person like that.

Kudos to you guys  :shy:

Add Glitter to Pictures

R.I.P My beautiful Mango xx 13/05/2006 - 01/11/2009

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 19:07:26 PM »
Nice idea Nick. Such a shame people in rescue get so many of those phone calls.
Please spay your cat

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 17:33:12 PM »
there is a cat rescue centre local to me that supply special sheds to house fostered cats, fully fitted out  . They supply them free to fosterers. I wonder if it would be worth starting a collection for one of these sheds ?  It might make things a little easier for one of our fosterers/ rehomers  and mean they can perhaps take a few more homeless in ?
We could do it like the Churches collect for roof repairs lol with one of those flagpoles showing how much has been collected towards the target  ;D

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 17:27:21 PM »
They use this PTS threat too many times!  >:( And we all know the saga of earlier in the week...  :tired:

I am sorry that you have to deal with this so often, Ela. It's not fair on you. It's not you that is dumping cats. There are only so many you can fit in before the sock drawer has to come into play...  :(

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 17:19:51 PM »
Sorry you have to deal with people like that regularly Ela :hug:

second that Sarah
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 17:16:16 PM »
Nor I, and  it must be difficult dealing with those sorts of phone calls    :hug:
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 17:16:55 PM by janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Sarah (seldom_use)

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 12:52:32 PM »
I don't know how people can do that sort of thing :(

I would never take on a cat if I ever expected to have to give it away. The thought of leaving my babes to go on holiday upsets me :(

Sorry you have to deal with people like that regularly Ela :hug:

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 12:48:52 PM »
yeah I guess that line works every time. barsteward  >:(  still the cats have got  to be better off without such a heartless owner.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
I'M NOT HAPPY (AGAIN)
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 09:29:26 AM »
A man has just phoned to say he is moving in about 5 weeks to a property where he cannot take the cats and although the cats are on rescues lists nobody seems to want them. I said it is not a problem of a rescue not wanting the cats; they are all full to bursting. It is that owners don’t want their cats. I am not normally that harsh but I did say it in a nice way. ;D He did say that he may have to have them PTS, (what a surprise) now where have I heard that before, um, um, Oh! I know almost every day on the phone.

I did tell him that if it came to that he needs to ring me.

Link to CatChat