Author Topic: Help with the feral babies  (Read 3079 times)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
Re: Help with the feral babies
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2007, 14:30:11 PM »
Apache just miowed!  :cheer:

It sounded so odd, he scared himself...  :evillaugh:

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2007, 09:47:55 AM »
Of course, now they've been here a few days, and he's seen the progress, and Apache went up to him and eat from his fingers, he's asking me if there's any more out there....  :evillaugh:

You've got him hooked!!

My OH is still coming along to the idea of helping cats, I mentioned that CP will let there fosterers have a pen outside after being with them for so long.

He asked how that works in the winter as he wouldn't want the cats to get cold ;)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2007, 09:16:50 AM »
I'm playing a delicate game here, Dawn. I suspect OH really didn't think I was going to actually catch these babies when I told him about them. When I walked in the door and said "Look what I caught!", he nearly went through the roof.  :evillaugh:

A bit of reassurance was neccessary to convince him the house was not about to become infested with parasites and we weren't all going to catch a disease from them. The only way he wasn't going to turn me round and make me put them back, was if I promised to get them checked over and treated at the vet the next day.  :shy:

OH is very tolerant of the time I spend and the trouble I go to to help the CP, but I'm pushing his limits. And he's like a lot of the population in the fact he didn't really think about ferals or know much about them.

Of course, now they've been here a few days, and he's seen the progress, and Apache went up to him and eat from his fingers, he's asking me if there's any more out there....  :evillaugh:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2007, 22:59:14 PM »
Actually, they didn't need sedation.

I can't believe they actually considered sedating them for worming and defleaing and I think I would be horrified if they did that on mine :Crazy:  :Crazy:  If I can't get near mine, I leave them a few days and then take them in for a check up.......this is usually enough time to get them handleable within reason and will certainly allow the vet to flea and worm.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2007, 22:55:16 PM »
I don't agree with the feeding by hand method, I think it's stressful enough after they've been caught without being forced to have food only by this method.  All my ferals regardless of age, I leave them to settle in and just leave the food down for them.  The hand feeding method is good and does work, but I find it cruel if this is the only way they get fed.  I tamed Tiger down with food but I always did it after a good feed as well, I used prawns which he couldn't resist.  They will tame down really quickly without having to resort to making them come to you because they are starving.  When they are eating, I usually try and get a sneaky stroke in until they learn to accept not all hands are going to hurt.  I am a bit behind with the posts lately, so hopefully the problem of them eating has been sorted.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 08:37:54 AM »
The food from hand does work but perhaps a little further down the line - I find Bernard mathews American fried chicken is great as its thin and one slice can work wonders onthe coming to you - I use this as a leader in to a trap with nice sardines r Kentucky fried chicken batter removed is a nother great one to.

They need to be changed to your time frame to - I tended to leave the light on all night and shut curtains through the day as this changes there time pattern to one that suits you!

They will come round with a lot of paitaince and love - I am still working on some after 5 years but each month there is a little improvement and some of ours have come as far as they can and live in harmony in our home but oonly tolerate us but have a safe environment to live their days out.

In fact Lima and Clio our first ferals who will be 8 in September took 3.5 years to become the cats they are today but even after 7 years Lima still doesn't like me - took him 5 years to sit in the same room as me but his sister Clio adores me and is a stalker when I am at thome.
This pair of babes were trapped aged nearly one year with no human contact and were known as Havoc and Chaos in the shelter and we were advised not to adopt them as they weren't for the feint hearted still we had tamed Tiger down at this point after 9 months and Robin wanted his own cats and here lies the the start of the Clan Cats ferals!!!!! :Crazy: :Luv:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 07:49:14 AM »
I dont actually agree with the advice of only feeding them by hand, and I would try and tame them without it.
Please spay your cat

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 06:37:55 AM »
Funnily enough, I caught them on Sardines in tomato sauce..!  :wow:

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 21:57:14 PM »
Just keep leaving food for them.

To get them closer try sardines in tomato sauce, it worked for my one feral kitten Harley. She's even coming up to my OH now in hopes ;)

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 21:03:54 PM »
I think there plotting behind your back to send you round the bend :)
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 21:01:57 PM »
They are going to drive me loopy, I swear..!  :evillaugh:

I placed a plate of chicken pieces in the cage and left them. 10 minutes later I went to check and the plate was licked clean.  :censored: :censored:  :rofl:

I feel just like a new mum...  :shy: :evillaugh:

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 20:19:55 PM »
Dont worry they will clear the plate during the night  :)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 20:14:23 PM »
Actually, they didn't need sedation. The vets have this brilliant nurse and she managed to calm them enough to treat them without it... Amazing!  :wow:

I think I probably will put a bowl of chicken bits in. I know they haven't 'earned' it but I'd feel better knowing they've eaten. As it is now, they haven't eaten since the bait food last night, i think... They haven't done poo either.  :-:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 19:58:25 PM »
Should i just put a bowl of it in their cage and hope they just eat it when I'm not around?

I would....they are prob terrified right now.......id defo get them eating before the hand feeding....how old are the babes again?

Just noticed your other post....maybe they are still a little sluggish from the sedation  :)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 20:01:27 PM by Ruth (Bazsmum) »

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
Help with the feral babies
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 19:48:51 PM »
I am getting worried. They won't eat!  :scared:

The advice from Cat Action Trust's website says you must make them take food from your fingers. If I'm quiet and slow, I can get my fingers right up to them. But they seem 'frozen' and just try to back very slowly away.

I've got to the stage where I'm actually rubbing little bits of chicken on their noses but they won't touch it. Only sniff it.

They have had a traumatic 24 hours, but they need to eat...   :(

Should i just put a bowl of it in their cage and hope they just eat it when I'm not around?

Link to CatChat