Author Topic: Scam donations via email  (Read 2920 times)

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
Re: Scam donations via email
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2007, 11:18:45 AM »
I got this one the other day - I was suspicious because it says you take care of pets rather than cats.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2007, 10:51:07 AM »
This scam was on Watchdog - they use it to pay for anything, could even be eBay etc.

They will say they have a large amount of cash, and could you cash the cheque for say £5000, take your £100 donation, then sent them back their part of the money?

They will send the cheque, you will send them the £4,900 when the cheque clears thinking everything is okay and the bank will later on send you a letter informing you that the cheque bounced.

What a disgusting thing to do to a charity!! >:(
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2007, 08:41:47 AM »
I`ve had it too

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 17:21:01 PM »
We had a warning about this one from CP HQ, it seems it has gone to a few CP branches and other charities. If anyone wants to see the text of the email so they are aware of the name involved etc then PM me and I'll send it to you. It is a scam so please don't reply to this person. Won't say what I think of them but  :censored:  :censored:

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 07:18:18 AM »
I got this email yesterday and asked Tan to check the email address for me..! In fact anything with a hotmail account could be considered dodgy and therefore we never replied.... However, what nearly made me reply is the email before that that was in fact truthful, someone's friend who had recently died and was an ardent cat lover and they wanted to donate some money to Jesirii fund in leiu of flowers.. which i thought was a lovely thought....
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 23:14:00 PM »
They are so evil. Instead of doing general scams, they are targeting different groups. To target charities is the lowest of the low. They say they are sending you a large western union cheque for more than the amount and ask you to refund the difference. In the meantime, the cheque they send you bounces. They target B&B's & hotels by saying they want to book 3 rooms for 10 days. They say they are sending you a cheque which includes the "delegates" expense money and ask for you to transfer the money into an account. I know people are taken by it as a one room B&B round the corner sent me an email asking what I thought. She had already answered them once telling them she only had the one room.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 23:26:29 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 22:58:30 PM »
gill see my post before yours  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

MBll

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 22:57:38 PM »
This is a SCAM..............this is doing the rounds EVEYWHERE & paying threwing western union.    If its not donatiing to aniamls,  orphan kids in africa,  mission work, selling animals/birds/monkeys (the usual non exist animals) my house burned down & i have nothing left/sob storys etc.....theres MILLIONS  of scams

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 22:54:11 PM »
No what I meant.........not having a good night LOL..................is how would someone out there donate? Could they do it without asking you how to do it?

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 22:51:02 PM »
Hmmmmmmmmm how did he get your email addy and how would peeps make donations normally?

well, email addy could be got from anywhere. I was told if you addy is in test on a site then it can be extracted by one of these superdooper scambots. I was advised that addy should only be displayed within a graphic.
or of course it could come off a list somewhere...... (which is one of the easons I have posted this here to see if anyone else has heard from this person)

If anyone wants to donate in reality (and don't all rush at once). The old fashioned check, paypal or through our website via charity choice (so tax can be reclaimed)

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 22:47:44 PM »
email addresses are harvested from across the net if you put you address in anything it can be collected by people looking for the right bit
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 22:44:34 PM »
Hmmmmmmmmm how did he get your email addy and how would peeps make donations normally?

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 22:42:38 PM »
sounds like the Nigerian scam with a new slant

unfortunately
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
Scam donations via email
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 22:40:39 PM »
I had a suspect email earlier today, not being sure I replied to it and have now received teh following.

Below is the first email,

I'm so glad to get in touch with you and the wonderful work that you have been doing as regards to helping pets and looking for a
wonderful home for them .
In this gesture, I would like to donate a little of what I have got, I hope it goes a long way in your outreach. Acknowledge this mail with the kind of payment so that I can give a token.

Waiting to hear from you soon,

Regards,
G***

the second email -

Hello,

You are really doing a wonderful and great job. I`m having a thought of donating to your shelter once in 2 or 3 months. I`ll be donating via cheque and there shall be an excess in the payment meant for my agent as I want to donate elsewhere.
I will Instruct my account officer to make out payment payable to you when you get me your address, kindly get back to me with your contact phone number so that payment does not get to the wrong hands and also with other things that the shelter needs besides cash.
Waiting to hear from you soon.

Best Regards,
Greg

I've left out the addy as I don't want to upset if it is real which I don't think it is!!!!!)

(as an aside I think all the owls in the city have descended in my garden tonight!)

Link to CatChat