Author Topic: URGENT APPEAL TO HELP SAVE Jesiri, a very poorly puss!  (Read 26975 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: URGENT APPEAL TO HELP SAVE Jesiri, a very poorly puss!
« Reply #165 on: September 10, 2007, 08:06:10 AM »
What a lovely article, I hope it has a good effect for you.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #164 on: September 09, 2007, 22:15:43 PM »
Thank you and we thank Jesiri for getting well  ;D

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
Re: Jesiri update
« Reply #163 on: September 09, 2007, 21:19:11 PM »
I thought you would all like to know that Jesiri now has his own purple collar, and ID.. and jumps around the house like a gazelle. He is a very cheeky puss and is getting on with the other elderlycats in the family.  He has not been outside yet but has access to the house and isnt in his pen anymore.. You wouldnt really know about his injuries, he does limp every now again when he over does it abit..though. He loves  his food and dosnt mind being played roughly, he loves his toys and his bean bag to sleep on.. He is a wonderful, energetic  and playful puss and everyone involved in his rescue, and those people from Purrs should feel good about themselves in helping Jesiri on his road to recover.  The following is what i wrote for our newsletter that has just been printed.

Using up your nine lives!

It isn’t very often that i write a rehoming column in our newsletter about one particular cat, but this one deserves a special mention.

Only two days after waving goodbye to our dear Baz (featured in our last newsletter) who was the picture of health the day his new owners came and collected him…we took in Jesiri. 

Abit of a weird name for a cat i hear you say? Well, as it happens it was all short notice and we had to come up with something quick… My Niece, who is soon to depart to Namibia and Jesiri means “Gold” in Namibian.. So let me tell you about this young ginger tabby cat, with huge yellow eyes.

Jesiri was just another uneutered stray handed into a vets, but he had suffered a great deal after being involved in some kind of road traffic accident (RTAs), indeed all nine lives where used in that one incident i think... Unlike many RTA’s we come across, Jesiri had come off much worse, having a suspected broken pelvis, leg and jaw…. All which turned out to be true, as well as a broken tail... However, it was a full week before we got to hear about his plight and before swift action was needed to literally save him from being put to sleep.  Despite Jesiri’s injuries he remained a cat with huge character and charm.. Not aggressive in his pain or at all, just sorrowful eyes and a pleading look was it took to take him on.. The reason he was untreated for so long was the cost of repairing his injuries, at the time reckoned to be around £800.00..

Once again Isobel our Welfare office, immediately got him signed over to our care and to a vet where we assessed his injuries.. Things didn’t look particular hopeful in saving his crushed leg and his pelvis was pretty bad as well.. He was on a drip for a day or so which gave us abit of time to decide what to do…Jesiri’s injuries were not recent, he probably had all those problems for at least two weeks beforehand, how this mite survived in getting  himself food and water is abit of a mystery, but he did, and although thin he was not overly so…(indeed he weighed abit more then Baz when he was first brought into our care)… If a cat unfortunately has to loose a leg, its not the end of the world as they adapt very quickly and cope surprisingly well. Losing a front leg it not ideal and having a dodgy pelvis as well does not much help distribute the weight. Jesiri had major problems, but we or the vet didn’t see an option for him but to loose his leg.. Fate was to prove to be Jesiri saving grace, when x-rays revealed that the leg and  his pelvis had started to heal, and being such a young puss (no more then one year we would say) his body had started to repair itself.  This meant that with rest and reduced activity in time Jesiri would get the use of his leg back again, although no where near perfect and always with a bad limp, he could in essence live a life with four legs rather then three. So Jesiri was neutered, fixed up with dressings, wired his jaw and given plenty of antibiotics before being sent to one of our fosterers for many weeks of TLC..that was over six weeks ago.

Jesiri turns out to have a character of youth; his playfulness and general ability to take all that life has thrown at him make us marvel at his personality. He never once bit or hissed, never got really annoyed, at the constant bandaging (that he has a habit of getting off two seconds after you put them on). In the weeks we have had him in our care, he has put on weight and has inched his way into the fosterers hearts, and there have been a few cats in the last few years that have been in that same position, but this one seems to be firmly placed as staying here with his fosterers,  literally. I write this a day before Jesiri goes back into the vets to have his metal fixture removed from his jaw that was broken and also to have his tail removed.. His tail was damaged so much it has become separated from this vertebra and thus there isn’t much chance of it being much use to him in the future.. However, having to loose a tail in place of loosing a leg is perhaps a small price to pay for happy life..

Jesiri, has had an impact on our finances especially only a few weeks after Baz’s high veterinary cost (broken jaw and weeks at the vets, through another RTA). However, it is good to know that we were able to give Jesiri a lifeline where there was none and that’s what rescue is all about. All those people who have so kindly donated money towards his care… Jesiri sends you head butts and purrs for saving his life.  As so often in rescue we have limited funds and resources, but hopefully never get to say “no” when some hope exists. I also happend to be a real sucker for hard luck stories and don't give up easily!

I would like to thank Bourne vets who have done such a great job treating Jesiri in some difficult circumstances and also Isobel  are welfare officer, who sometimes goes beyond the call of duty when she see’s an animal in distress, despite the fact that being a veterinary nurse she see's this on an almost daily basis. 

So as three cats loose their fight for life in one week due to terminal illness or major neglect and suffering, three cats returned to owners from the efforts of our lost and found co ordinator, two direct rehomings, two ferals neutered and returned, twenty three cats and an amazing thirty four kittens rehomed since our last newsletter, Jesiri  is a example that we can indeed make a difference.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 22:23:12 PM by canterbury_cats »
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #162 on: September 01, 2007, 11:30:00 AM »
Fantastic news  :)  Am so pleased for him  :)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #161 on: September 01, 2007, 11:14:09 AM »
So pleased to hear this, it is wonderful to hear a good outcome.
Please spay your cat

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #160 on: August 31, 2007, 22:36:47 PM »
Well done Jesiri  :Luv: :Luv:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #159 on: August 31, 2007, 19:48:22 PM »
[quote author=canterbury_cats link=topic=6188.msg109966#msg109966 date=1187981996
As for the life of Riley!! Well i hope Mark doesnt mind me mentioning it but last time  he dropped at cat off to us, he got lost getting out our driveway!! (sorry!))) Mark.... But we have a long and dark driveway surrounded by woods so its easily done, isnt it#?
[/quote]

No I don't mind at all Sharon  :see:

I was a bit embarrassing having to phone you to find me though  :evillaugh:

Jesiri looks incredible - one happy ending. I suppose its cats like him that make it all worthwhile  ;D

Also, completely offtrack but couldn't help noticing the kitchen - I had never heard of plinth heaters until a few weeks ago -  but we are having them in our new kitchen. They are taking out the radiator so the wall can be used for more workspace - really good idea - do they give out much heat? - it says 2.4Kw but not sure if that is enough to heat a big kitchen?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 19:49:13 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #158 on: August 31, 2007, 19:19:38 PM »
Just Brilliant

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #157 on: August 31, 2007, 17:56:58 PM »
You just wouldn't believe this was the same cat, would you?

Well done for looking after him so well.

:Luv:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #156 on: August 31, 2007, 17:19:12 PM »
Wonderful wonderful news  ;D

Isnt he handsome and am so pleased he has a forever home and wont get hurt any more  ;D

• Super Cat
« Reply #155 on: August 31, 2007, 17:14:06 PM »
Hi all
Jesiri went back to the vets today and was signed off..!! He has made a fab recovery and thats been in part to the wonderful people on Purrs, vets and everybody caring.. He is one fab puss, fulll of the zest of life and is now doing so well, without his tail.. He gets round like a springbuck,.. This is him today having some time without his collar that is on h im to stop him taking the stitches of his tail.. Another week or so.. However, leg and pelvis have now healed well, and the longer term outlook is good.. He is one lucky, lucky puss and will now live out his days in the country away from traffic...

THANKS EVERYONE FOR SUCH A HAPPY ENDING... !
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #154 on: August 25, 2007, 17:21:35 PM »
Thats great, we get pics forever  :rofl:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #153 on: August 25, 2007, 13:03:27 PM »
That is brilliant news, I am so pleased for him, he deserves it.
Please spay your cat

• Super Cat
« Reply #152 on: August 24, 2007, 19:59:56 PM »
UPDATE

Jesiri went to the vets today, they took off his tail but they though the jaw had not quite healed up. xrays revealed some slight infection in his leg and thus is now on different meds for a week. Nothing serious but something to keep on top off. Good job he went in for his tail as well, as that was going abit bad!!

AND ITS OFFICIAL he will be staying with us.. I dont mean me personally, as i have two cats Leo and Bella but I am lucky to be surrounded by woodlands and another family member that just lives a few feet away from me will be taking him on.. They have been his fosterers for the last few weeks and it has now fully adjusted to life with their two elderly cats.... In five years of fosterering he has become the only one that has managed to stay!! And believe me he has had some competition.

Jesiri thus still needs to go back and have his jaw done, but the vet was frightened he would fracture it again if he took it out today.. He will always limp very badly but hey!! No one is perfect.

I promise to get some photos to you all........just have started a new job this week, so its all manic....

As for the life of Riley!! Well i hope Mark doesnt mind me mentioning it but last time  he dropped at cat off to us, he got lost getting out our driveway!! (sorry!))) Mark.... But we have a long and dark driveway surrounded by woods so its easily done, isnt it#?

« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 20:02:13 PM by canterbury_cats »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #151 on: August 19, 2007, 21:53:05 PM »
Well Jesiri will have the life of Riley at yours Sharon - glad he's on the mend  :Luv:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #150 on: August 19, 2007, 15:47:31 PM »
Thrilled that Jesiri is on the mend and that he has landed on his paws after all his misery.

Attaboy, Jesiri  ;)
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #149 on: August 19, 2007, 15:35:21 PM »
Aw, glad the future is looking so bright for this little darling  :Luv:

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #148 on: August 19, 2007, 09:59:11 AM »
He will never be perfect and will also i reckon walk like John Wayne but who cares!!!!

He will always be perfect in your eye and thats all that matters.........big hugs  :hug: :hug:
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #147 on: August 19, 2007, 09:37:56 AM »
It all sound good for Jesiri  ;D
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #146 on: August 19, 2007, 00:24:54 AM »
I think that Jesiri would be very grateful to you  ;D

We want some more pics please  ;D

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #145 on: August 18, 2007, 17:02:21 PM »
aww, glad there is such a good outcome, and he will have a fab home. I should imagine you can insure him, but anythign that could relate to his jaw or leg will be excluded. Worth a chat with an insurance company.
Please spay your cat

• Super Cat
« Reply #144 on: August 18, 2007, 16:56:34 PM »
Hi all
I lost to thread to this, but thought to say to you all that Jesiiri continues to do well. Now he dosnt need his dressing all the time and it s aright little character..........He now hops around like scooby doo........His pelvis is taking time to heal and we put off having his jaw fixture done this week for another week of rest..

Now a little secret....the longer Jesiri stays with us the more he is getting on with the fosterers (my brothers) two elderly cats.. they dont seem to take alot of notice of him now and he never growls or hisses at them.. So all t hings considered, Jesiri will slowly and surely intergrate and i reckon will end up staying with us.........We are just cautious that as he gets better his other character comes out but so far he is the most laid back puss i know (other then my Leo)! He would suit a home with us as we are fairly rural and and woods around us and his hoppy character would be safe as can be...He would be well loved as well........in fact he would be more then loved he would be adored.. They have done a fantastic job with his aftercare and its so nice to see him improve... He will never be perfect and will also i reckon walk like John Wayne but who cares!!!!

We are just thinking about how we would go about getting a cat such as Jesiri insured.not for his current problems but for others........

Anyhows time will tell ................

« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 16:58:58 PM by canterbury_cats »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #143 on: August 10, 2007, 20:44:03 PM »
So pleased that Jeisri is doing well and I feel guilty cos I have an envelope address for Jesiri and keep forgetting to post it.............must do tonight  ;D

• Super Cat
« Reply #142 on: August 10, 2007, 20:39:11 PM »
Thanks to everybody and some donations by our members as well, Jesiri fund is doing well and will now probably cover his ongoing costs at the vets and his other operations. He is never ever going to be perfect though!

The appeal thread, i think would be a great idea... Without some funds being available at the time we took in Jesiri just after having Baz in our care which cost us 600 quid, i doubt we would of been able to do as much as we committed ourselves too. He was going to loose a leg and i did manage to get him referred to a specialist vet for advise to our vet.. He thus now has four legs but will prob loose his tail!.

Lilly also will benefit from the publicity of Jesiri as she may also need abit more vet care... All in all our bills on 3 (Solomon, Baz and Jesiri and Mabel, FIV and thyroid) cats in the last 4 months have been around 2500 which is an big chunk of fundraising money.. Espc as the weather up until now has been so poor...May not seem much compared to other CP branches, but we are a small branch with only a few fosterers and not many reliable volunteers that fundraise tirelessly.. However, 3 wks ago we did rehome our 100 cat so far this year which is going to make us exceed our total for year and the last 4 years the most ever having rehomed is 160 in one year.. We have though this year had over 50 kittens in our care and more just last weekend (one mum and 5 kittens).. Kittens are very expensive!!!! 

We choose to chip, vac and of course neuter all our adult cats, and although we could save money by not chipping we have decided something else should go before that... Mainly becuase i get so annoyed when people ring me up and their cat isnt chipped!! We get 2 calls a day about lost cats hardly any of them have been chipped, and i no that some of the cats that we have rehomed and were chipped, we have been able to help them when they have needed medical care. A cat missing for 1 yrs Freda who we rehomed last year, went AWOL and was taken to a local vet found to be chipped via us.. Freda had been out for a year, but had cancer and although we tried her best she was PTS.. I dread to think how she would of suffered if we didnt get to here about her..

Sorry for the waffle and abit of thread!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 20:53:30 PM by canterbury_cats »

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #141 on: August 10, 2007, 20:17:15 PM »
25 smackeroonies on the way , not much i know but I have  donated nearly £200 this month already  :-: ;D
how is his fund doing ? sounds like I should maybe send a shed load of food as well lol

Looking forward to seeing some more piccys . he sure is a lucky fella to have you as his Mum  ;D

• Super Cat
« Reply #140 on: August 10, 2007, 20:06:13 PM »
Cheeky monkey Jesiri is doing well. The other night he took his dressing off and we were doing that at 10pm at night, he is such a good patient, no wriggling or biting.. His attitude is one of pure joy that someone is taking care of him.. His pelvis is still abit all over the place, but his leg is doing well.. He will got back next Friday to have his jaw mental removed.. Funny thing is that he gets that mental bit tangled in  his blanket!!! Silly sausage.. His tail will def be going though, no improvement at all.. Limp at the base and its getting in his way..

He eats for Europe combined... so far we have given him 3 sachets of felix in one sitting and he still wants more!!! (he has been wormed!!)

He is such a darling, not many other cats would put up with this....

More photos over the weekend pls... In the last 10 days or so we have taken the stock of the local vets, 15 bandages he has got through...the liittle devil...

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #139 on: August 10, 2007, 14:08:54 PM »
thanks Julie I'll get something off in the post. glad to hear he's doinf so well. he is a little gorgeous but then I do love the gingers  :Luv:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #138 on: August 10, 2007, 13:53:06 PM »
Nick... I dug this out for you.

I haven't heard news of Jesiri for a few days, but the last I heard he was responding well, and the bill so far was £500 and Sharon is so grateful for the help people on purrs have given Jesiri's fund.

He's a lovely wee soul and in the best of care now. What a shame we didn't find him earlier as we gather the poor thing had been living in a barn with these injuries for up to a week!

Hello all.

As i have been swamped with people  asking me for details to donate to help Jesiri, details are as follow.. Firstly, we do have a PO BOX number and its emptied whenever one of us can get that way, which isnt that often as the Post office is abit out of our way..

So can i plaease plea to people to send to our Branch Secretary, that way the funds get to us quicker..
Also you would do us a great favour if you were able to just write "Jesiri" on the back of chqs (not the envelope), that way we can  have a dedicated fund for this treatment and you know that its going to him directly.. Our branch secretary is a lovely lady and will give out gift aid forms on request.. We can give receipts as well, but if you can give us an email address i can then send you an email to say we received the chq so you know it was receieved okay . Pls bare with us, poor Jane does this with little help and there may be a delay in sending or replying to you. If  you use email we can save on stamps for receipts.. I will promise to keep you all update via the forum.

So mark the chq (not the envelope) for the attention of Jesiri fund
Chq payable to Canterbury and District Cats Protection
Canterbury and District Cats Protection
C/O Jane Holness Branch Secretary
3 Austin Road, Studd Hill, Herne Bay, Kent, CT6 8BL..

Our branch telephone number is 01227 266838 if anyone wants to talk to a branch member.. its 01227 360432 if you want to speak to me on the CP Homing line (but its may go to answerphone). If  people have objections to donations being sent direct to Jane then of course pls send to our PO box (PO Box 833, Canterbury, Kent, CT1 1WH). Still marking it for the attention of Jane and write Jesiri on back of cheque.. 

and finally please don't think that even small amount's don't help, because believe you me they will.............!!

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #137 on: August 10, 2007, 13:13:33 PM »
He's gorgeous isn't he.  Well done everyone.  I can't see how yet again I managed to miss this important thread . I would like to send a contribution also if I may . Could someone let me know where to please . I could do an instant online payment if I had the account details .

I wonder if it would be a good idea to have a special forum at the top solely for appeals ?  that way all of us will see them all every time we visit. It probably  just needs to be a single  locked post with the details photo etc and where to contribute . I'm sure it will allow more members the opportunity to give something

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #136 on: August 07, 2007, 17:45:19 PM »
Hope Jesiri is continuing to do well?  :hug: to him.

When Blip had to have a bandage, she managed to get the whole thing off in one undamaged piece (how?  :Crazy:)  so Jesiri is obviously a kindred spirit.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #135 on: August 06, 2007, 07:45:43 AM »
Aww, glad he is doing well.
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #134 on: August 06, 2007, 07:27:25 AM »
he is lovely  :)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #133 on: August 05, 2007, 20:26:01 PM »
What a handsome fellow   :Luv: :Luv:

• Super Cat
« Reply #132 on: August 05, 2007, 18:42:48 PM »
Another photos of our Jesiri!

• Super Cat
« Reply #131 on: August 04, 2007, 22:13:52 PM »
We get Jesiri out his pen for a few times each day so to avoid muscle wastage.. He has a habit of manageing to get his bandages off.. So far he walks really weird but seems to cope.. He just eats and eats and eats... I found out that he was originally found in a barn in Faversham (very rural) part of Kent. He has a very femine miew, tolerates being handled and seems to just enjoy watching you.. However, i can see him eyeing up jumping on tables. No doubt when he is better he will be...

But is a superb patient very tolerant, i think he realises we are doing him some good. Still on meds which he takes well

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #130 on: August 04, 2007, 21:34:09 PM »
Am so please he is doing well and how could you not fall for him, he is lovely and is coping really well with his banadge changes - hope they are more boy coloured!

Will send some pennies at the end of next week as cheque book still in Dublin although I'm sure I thought it was here!

Good healing thoughts -  :hug:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #129 on: August 04, 2007, 20:28:25 PM »
So pleased to hear this lovely boy is doing well. Well done Sharon

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #128 on: August 03, 2007, 09:23:13 AM »
Great news that he's doing well - I think I'd fall in love with him too  :Luv: :Luv:

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #127 on: August 03, 2007, 08:31:00 AM »
Pleased he's doing well  ;D

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #126 on: August 03, 2007, 08:27:36 AM »
Just to let you all know Jesiri is doing very well.

:)

Afraid to say i am falling in love with him...............

I can understand that  :Luv:

Link to CatChat