Author Topic: Taking my BOY back to the vet tomorrow for x-ray/RIP sweetheart  (Read 90782 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Taking my BOY back to the vet tomorrow for x-ray
« Reply #825 on: May 07, 2009, 23:34:29 PM »
She may have smelt it.

You can test yourself at home, shine a torch into her eyes and see if the pupils or Phoebe react to that  :hug:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #824 on: May 07, 2009, 23:32:44 PM »
Quote from: Gill (sneakiefeline) link=topic=9690.msg432105#msg 432105 date=1241648452
Its terrible when the vets don't know what is wrong and why things are happening.

What did the vet do to test that her sight?

Yes Gill,Its terrible not knowing whats wrong, but i have to say at least he is honest enough not to put her through unneccesarily tests and treatments.
The only thing he did was with his hand just going towards her face and she reacted by pulling her head back

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #823 on: May 07, 2009, 08:10:38 AM »
Ah Pav I hope things get better for Phoebe and you.  Hope, too, you can get to the bottom of her problems  :hug:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #822 on: May 07, 2009, 07:39:16 AM »
Fingers crossed you can get things sorted for her. I get my puppy pads from PEts at Home, you can order online. Not sure they are as good as last years though (the first lot came from The Range, the second from Netto), but I put them on top of carpet protector, so they do the job OK
Please spay your cat

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #821 on: May 07, 2009, 02:43:16 AM »
 :grouphug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #820 on: May 06, 2009, 23:20:52 PM »
Its terrible when the vets dont know what is wrong and why thiungs are happening.

I agrre that I think stress is a lot of her problem and you did good to remind the vet how stressed she gets going to the vets. I dont know what is causing the howling but she seems a bit young for dementia.

What did the vet do to test that her sight?

I do hope things get better for you and for Pheobe  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #819 on: May 06, 2009, 23:13:49 PM »
Oh I am so sorry.  I use Simple Solution's Stay at Home floor protection pads for adult dogs. They are 23" x 24" and have 2 sides, one coarser pink one I put face on the carpet and a whiter side that you can brush up stray litter with a dustpan and brush (if you use it under the litter tray). I buy them at PAH and they are the best I've tried so far. Nothing has gone through on to the carpet as yet.

As for the yowling, it is so horrible when they do that. It could be high bp which can make them quite manic, especially if they can't see (double stress). What dose of Istin is she on?
Thanks.
There is no PAH close to us, i am going to see if i can order on line!
She was on 5mg, 1/4 aday but when i moved her to new vet in December he said not to give her any more, and i cant remember why.
I asked yesterday if he can take her blood pressure but she doesnt stay still, the nurse had to hold her from scruff yesterday in order for vet to take blood and i was really sad to see her like that but it was that or sedation.
I better go now, have to order food and feliway from vet uk, i think they have some offers on.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #818 on: May 06, 2009, 22:42:30 PM »
Oh I am so sorry.  I use Simple Solution's Stay at Home floor protection pads for adult dogs. They are 23" x 24" and have 2 sides, one coarser pink one I put face on the carpet and a whiter side that you can brush up stray litter with a dustpan and brush (if you use it under the litter tray). I buy them at PAH and they are the best I've tried so far. Nothing has gone through on to the carpet as yet.

As for the yowling, it is so horrible when they do that. It could be high bp which can make them quite manic, especially if they can't see (double stress). What dose of Istin is she on?

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #817 on: May 06, 2009, 21:35:41 PM »
Pleased that Boy is doing well  :)

It's a shame you can't get to the bottom of what is wrong with Phoebe, maybe it's a mixture of things that's making her feel unwell. I'm not convinced that HT is causing the yowling either, I do hope her appetite picks up.  The B12 should help to make her feel better let us know how she gets on :hug:  :hug:

eta:  I've never used the puppy pads Pav so not sure about that.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 21:37:15 PM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #816 on: May 06, 2009, 21:33:43 PM »
 I forgot to ask if any one knows whats the best puppy training pads? I am using Sherleys atm, but as soon as she wee it goes through and the floor gets wet so not only i have to change the pads then i have to wash and dry and spray the floor and by the time is all cleaned and changed to fresh one she goes back and do it again  :evillaugh: Seven times since this morning, i am exhausted.

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #815 on: May 06, 2009, 21:01:18 PM »
Boy is fine , Thanks. :hug:

I took Phoebe to the vet yesterday, he doesn't think she is blind and said he thinks everything happening to her right now is down to her hearT, she hasn't been taking the right dose in last 2 weeks. She is on 5mg twice a day but i haven't been able to give her that everyday because she refuses to eat, hence no food no tab! He said the yowling is because of the Thyroid, he did a full blood and told me if the blood doesn't show anything then he doesn't know why she is not eating :-: At least he was honest!!He didnt want to put her under sedation so didnt have x-rays, he gave her B12 injection and said i should just carry with Periactin for a while longer and said if i cant get it to her i can take her to surgery every day and the nurse will do it, i reminded him that i don't think its a good idea because of the stress it causes Phoebe.
The blood test was ready 30 min later and he said her kidneys are better than last month but also said that its a false result because if her blood pressure was high due to stress then it effect the kidneys and the result wont be right but her Thyroid level is up from 22 to 75 and he said normal should be about 50-55 so i have to make sure she takes 2 tab a day .
What i forgot to ask is when her thyroid was 182 in October she never cried and yowled like this, so i am still not convinced is HT causes the yowling and she is worse since yesterday, every time she is left on her own if i am upstairs or by the door she start making really loud calling, i also know she is not well or very stressed because she is not using the tray again, she gets in but wee and spray out of the tray.
Aww and she has put on 100 grams since last week, which is odd since she is not eating . I just dont know what elso to do when she stops eating again :tired: I just see how it goes for next few days.   :thanks:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #814 on: May 06, 2009, 17:01:23 PM »
How are Phoebe and Boy doing Pav?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #813 on: May 03, 2009, 00:27:26 AM »
Forgot to say that if cats react like humans when sedated, this means that their subconcious cannot be sedated. They know nothing about what is happening but it does not necessarily mean because Pheobe is stressed at that time, the blood pressure tab is not working.

I would definately go for putting her back on them to maybe help her eyes cos stress can cause high bp and that in turn can course loss of sight.

I agree with you that it sounds like she cant see very well cos she is showing all the symptoms of this from what you describe and that will be making her scared.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #812 on: May 03, 2009, 00:22:17 AM »
I so wish you were close to me and then she could go to my special vets and I guarentee Rachel would be able to handle her and would be able to do basic stuff without sedation.

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #811 on: May 03, 2009, 00:07:17 AM »
I agree with Janey and a vet should be able to tell easlily if she is blind or nearlt blind.  Kocka had detaching retinas and would go blind and then her sight would return although it wasnt very good. When she was blind I could tell cos she had just big black eyes that did not react to light at all.

The was on high blood pressure meds cos the vet said thats probably what caused it but she was very old and was by then shouting and suffering with dementia. BP meds are very very small and I think Kocka had a quarter of a tab which I would crush up and put in her ad diet which she ate off my finger.

Franta seemed to be deaf and my vet agreed he was after clapping and jingling stuff behind his back and this was two years ago, no ear twitching or reaction.....is he deaf, lol no not just stubborn. He suddenly started to react and come to me when strted using his old name Napoleon! He is a monster  ;D

You will have to remember that Phoebe will be able to smell you.......dont mean that in any nasty way lol, so she will know you are there and be able to walk towards you and if she is going blind she will also know here way round the house by now unless you put something large in a diferent plce.

Cats are so clever at disguising things. I am so pleased she is playing, thats a very positive thing  :hug: :hug:
I agree with Janey and a vet should be able to tell easlily if she is blind or nearlt blind.  Kocka had detaching retinas and would go blind and then her sight would return although it wasnt very good. When she was blind I could tell cos she had just big black eyes that did not react to light at all.

The was on high blood pressure meds cos the vet said thats probably what caused it but she was very old and was by then shouting and suffering with dementia. BP meds are very very small and I think Kocka had a quarter of a tab which I would crush up and put in her ad diet which she ate off my finger.

Franta seemed to be deaf and my vet agreed he was after clapping and jingling stuff behind his back and this was two years ago, no ear twitching or reaction.....is he deaf, lol no not just stubborn. He suddenly started to react and come to me when strted using his old name Napoleon! He is a monster  ;D

You will have to remember that Phoebe will be able to smell you.......dont mean that in any nasty way lol, so she will know you are there and be able to walk towards you and if she is going blind she will also know here way round the house by now unless you put something large in a diferent plce.

Cats are so clever at disguising things. I am so pleased she is playing, thats a very positive thing  :hug: :hug:
Gill, thats how Phoebe eyes are, some times big pupils and then normal so may be her sight goes and comes back!
She also was on blood pressure tab, 1/4 aday but the new vet in December said to stop them cos he said they could never get her blood pressure cos she is always so stressed or under sedation, but i am going to talk to him on tuesday and see if she should go back on them.
Also may be thats why she doesnt want to go out so much these days unless i am there with her, if she is having problem with her sight then she wont feel safe out side. She has stoped going upstairs to the bedroom too.
I am so glad i posted here about this,  because she is a difficult cat to handle some times vets dont do all the tests with her unless i ask and after reading you and Janey's reply i think she may have problem with her sight and also maybe the blood pressure, so i can mention all to her vet and see if we can help her to be more comfortable.
Thankyou sooo much. x

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #810 on: May 02, 2009, 23:35:43 PM »
Awww bless Phoebe, I'm glad she likes the honeysuckle  :hug: Byron prefers the stinkies and flicks them around sometimes but Matty liked the honeysuckle. 

It is something I have noticed about the loss of sight/hearing with some cats, although when Timmy suddenly went blind he followed me everywhere but didn't yowl.  I have just been thinking and our Squeaky did the yowling also he would only go into the kitchen and do it but when we called him he stopped and came to us (he wasn't deaf or blind) we just took it as an age thing and going a bit senile he started to do that from about 12 years.

The large pupils are a big sign of loss of sight and not blinking when you move infront of their eyes, Schui never flinched with one eye but slightly responded with the other.  If we clapped behind him he never moved but was startled if he noticed you suddenly appeared behind him, that and sleeping through hoover!  Your vet should be able to confirm whether is losing her sight or hearing if you ask, I asked my vet.
Janey, i got Phoebe dabird, lazor toy and stinkie from the shop and stinkie was the only thing which she loved and didnt upset her , but then when you sent her the HS she didnt show any interest so i just left them in her room and one day she just started playing with them she carry one in her mouth and play foot ball, its so cute and every time i see her it makes me smile because i know now that she does know how to play and for the first 2 years , well she probably needed time to recover from her past!
The large pupils are only some times so may be as Gill said the sight may be goes and returns again? I will write every thing and ask my vet on tuesday. Thankyou.x

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #809 on: May 02, 2009, 22:41:49 PM »

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #808 on: May 02, 2009, 22:18:06 PM »
Awww bless Phoebe, I'm glad she likes the honeysuckle  :hug: Byron prefers the stinkies and flicks them around sometimes but Matty liked the honeysuckle. 

It is something I have noticed about the loss of sight/hearing with some cats, although when Timmy suddenly went blind he followed me everywhere but didn't yowl.  I have just been thinking and our Squeaky did the yowling also he would only go into the kitchen and do it but when we called him he stopped and came to us (he wasn't deaf or blind) we just took it as an age thing and going a bit senile he started to do that from about 12 years.

The large pupils are a big sign of loss of sight and not blinking when you move infront of their eyes, Schui never flinched with one eye but slightly responded with the other.  If we clapped behind him he never moved but was startled if he noticed you suddenly appeared behind him, that and sleeping through hoover!  Your vet should be able to confirm whether is losing her sight or hearing if you ask, I asked my vet.

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #807 on: May 02, 2009, 21:40:52 PM »
Thankyou Janey. TBH i am not sure about her sight or hearing. I was told once by her privious vet that he thought she has problem with her sight and he thought that was the reason she was aggressive and attacking every ones hand , when she came to me we questioned her sight because when ever we tried to play with her with things like dabirdy she didnt react :( Thats when we thought she doesnt know how to play :(
But since last month she started playing with the honey suckle ball you sent for her she pick them and take them every where and its the first time in 2 ears i have seen her not getting upset when i try to play with her so i am not sure! In her last visit to the vets i mentioned that her eyes look really large but then the vet thought is because she was scared and asked to keep an eye on her to see if its the same at home and actually it has. As for hearing she never respond but then when i go to her room and call her i am facing her and she comes out so she cant be blind?
I am going to discuss this with the vet on tuesday , she does look a bit confused and is been following me every where, which is not like her . I thought she is coming around and trusting me but then maybe she is loosing her sigt or hearing and is scared to be on her own?
She is not that old though, when she came here the rescue said she was between 8-10 so now she must be 10-12 which is not really old .
Thankyou so much for mentioning this about your cats, cos i didnt know if they have sight/hearing problem they yowle. Jim was deaf but never yowled :Luv:
Sorry for long post, i am so confused my self right now. :-:  :thanks:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #806 on: May 02, 2009, 20:20:08 PM »
Schui yowled peculiarly when he went out in the garden Pav he was nearly blind/deaf and we had another old nearly blind/deaf cat once for a short while and he was very odd for that (in the house) at night, I wonder whether it's her age... is her sight/hearing ok?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 20:20:34 PM by Janeyk »

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #805 on: May 02, 2009, 17:22:18 PM »
Thankyou. :hug:

She is eating again but i think is because of Periactin, i am going to carry on giving her twice a day till tuesday.

I was wondering if any one knows why she is howling?! She does it only when she goes to her room, it happened 2 sweeks ago and since yesterday everytime she goes in there she just stear at the wall and start making this deep meowing , like she is calling!! Then as soon as i go and call her she stops and come out. :-: I checked the room and cant see anything that upseting her . I dont think she is in pain cos she doesnt do it any where else.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #804 on: May 02, 2009, 13:37:26 PM »
I am going to see how it goes this weekend and i think i am going to ask my vet what he thinks is the right thing to do ? I love her so much and cant decide whats the right thing to do . :'(
I hope every one have a nice weekend and enjoy the good weather. I post on tuesday after the vet visit. Thankx

:hug:  I hope she'll perk up a little over the weekend, Pav.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #803 on: May 02, 2009, 13:35:04 PM »
I am sorry she isn't too good again, I hope you can get her to perk up over the weekend, and that the vet has some answers on Tues.
Please spay your cat

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #802 on: May 01, 2009, 22:51:39 PM »
Sending more positive vibes to Phoebe~~~~~Hope she perks up soon! Big kisses too BOY and hugs to you all!  :grouphug:

...Hope you have a fab wk/end to Pav... :Luv: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #801 on: May 01, 2009, 21:55:28 PM »
So sorry to hear Phoebe not doing good again Pav, hope she perks up over the weeknd and no vet visit is needed.  Hugs to you BOY, Phoebe and Mr T xx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #800 on: May 01, 2009, 18:31:40 PM »
I am so sorry that Phoebe is having problems again and because my vets didnt have 24/7 cover thats why I had to move Franta to a new vet.

I am sure all the stress is not helping her but its so hard with a cat like Phoebe.....I dread it if Sasa gets ill  :(

I hope that Pheobe may perk up with you over the weekend, spend some quality time with her if you can  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #799 on: May 01, 2009, 17:13:54 PM »
 :hug: I hope you're ok Pav, you know where I am if you want to call  :hug:

I can understand you not wanting to leave Phoebe at the vets, I was the same once with Schui and we kept him home and cared for him and he was fine, I think alot depends on the circumstances and the cat and like Phoebe, Schui was, we decided better with us as he would have probably gone downhill left at the vets.  I do hope that Phoebe picks up over the next few days, I will be thinking positive for her xx
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 17:15:02 PM by Janeyk »

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #798 on: May 01, 2009, 17:03:23 PM »
Thankyou every one. :hug:

Phoebe was fine for 3 days and stoped eating again :( I went to see the vet and he said i can take her in and they will give her some fluid but they cant do that without sedating her, also they dont have 24 hours staff staying in surgery so that means she is going to be there on her own all weekend and the nurse just goes in and check the animals, i think i rather if she stays home with me she is drinking water so she wont be dehydrated. The vet gave me some more Periactin and said i can give her 1/2 tab twice a day so i am going to see if i can start her eating and keep her goingwith this( He said they wont do any harm) and then on Tuesday we decide what to do, he was very busy today and i had no appointment so we couldnt discuss anything but i dont think he can give her anymore antibiotics or steroid since she had them on Monday so i think he has to repeat all the x-rays and scan again to see if he finds something  :tired: and that means more sedation :( I really dont know whats the right thing to do any more , even if they do more x-rays and then some thing else shows it means more medication i am already struggling with3 tab a day , and all this stress of vet visits not doing her any good.
I am going to see how it goes this weekend and i think i am going to ask my vet what he thinks is the right thing to do ? I love her so much and cant decide whats the right thing to do . :'(
I hope every one have a nice weekend and enjoy the good weather. I post on tuesday after the vet visit. Thankx

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #797 on: April 30, 2009, 16:14:16 PM »
I cry at the vets too.... :hug: :hug: :hug:

Hoping the abs have worked and Phoebe is on the mend....Thinking of BOY too!  :Luv: :Luv:

and of course yourself!  :grouphug:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #796 on: April 30, 2009, 12:38:54 PM »
 :( Poor Phoebe, hope she picks up very soon Pav  :hug:  :hug:

I am always crying in my vets Pav when I see that happening :shy: I remember one a poor happy waggy tailed dog who was being pts because the family didn't want him and they wanted him to be with his owner who had died, I was in a right state.

When we had Schui pts we sat waiting out of the way and they let me and Ste go out the back door afterwards as we were so upset.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #795 on: April 30, 2009, 12:26:40 PM »
Pleased that Phoebe got some good treatment and very sad at vets. I feel that every vets shoulkd have a back way out and somewhere for upset people to sit for a while in private  :(

I know St James shut the surgery off to the consulting area while someone was having their dog pts and the nurse helped me carry Franta out another side exit to the car, cos I didnt want to intrude.

Sending lots of good wishes for Boy and Phoebe  :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #794 on: April 30, 2009, 11:57:49 AM »
how is everything and everyone?

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #793 on: April 27, 2009, 17:48:30 PM »
I'm so sorry it was so traumatic at the vets. That's awful. But it's so good that Phoebe is eating. Hope the cat flu disappears asap. I was just reading in the paper how this year is horrendous for hay fever so I'm sure it kicks in the snuffles in any cat that has had flu as well. I'm going to advertise Kaminox again (maybe the co should pay me   ;))  - my vet has prescribed it instead of laurabolin as it perks them up if they are only a little bit anaemic, whereas laurabolin can make them feel a bit off sometimes. I reckon it helps a bit with appetite too.

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #792 on: April 27, 2009, 17:25:24 PM »

hopefully she will find out why she isn't eating, is her mouth and teeth ok Pav?

Thanks Janey, yes her mouth and teeth are fine and he checked her mouth and gum today and it was fine.
Phoebe caught cat flu while was staying in the old vet and being a semi feral she probably had it when she was kitten  before being rescued and vaccinated and according to my vet once they have it then any stress can bring it back, she is still sneezing lots but hopefully the antibiotics start working soon.

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #791 on: April 27, 2009, 16:06:12 PM »
Thankyou every one. :hug:
I managed to catch her and she didnt put any fight because she is weak. :(
The vet said its cat flu and he thinks the stress of last week visit and sedation has brought it out, so he gave her convenia injection for the flu and Laurabolin injection  and said it lasts for 2-4 weeks, he also managed to give her 1/2 Periactin tablet and said she should start eating in next few hours. He said she is dehydrated but he didnt want to give her fluid under the skin because he wasnt sure if she stays long enough in one place , apparently is painful to give fluid under the skin! I learn something everyday :tired: I told him she is drinking water and hasnt been sick so he said just to leave it till tomorrow and see how she feels.
It was such a sad day, while i was waiting one couple had their cat pts, and there was another cat brought in which had RTA  and as we were going in another couple brought their 19 year old cat which died in her sleep and was due to be pts this evening  :'( The nurse came to the room and gave me some tissue and said she could see how upset i was, it was so sad to see people crying , you just want to hug them and say you know how they feel :(
As i am typing this i can see her eating so i think she will be ok soon. Thanks again  :hug: :hug:
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 16:22:53 PM by pappilon »

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #790 on: April 27, 2009, 13:26:47 PM »
Thinking of you and sending positive vibes for today  :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #789 on: April 27, 2009, 08:42:55 AM »
 :hug: I would ask the vet which tablets they were she gave Phoebe if they helped last time or do you think it could be a cold she has?

hopefully she will find out why she isn't eating, is her mouth and teeth ok Pav?

lots of luck today xx
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 08:53:24 AM by janeyk »

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #788 on: April 27, 2009, 07:53:25 AM »
Good luck today Pav  :hug:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #787 on: April 27, 2009, 07:50:10 AM »
Fingers crossed for today
Please spay your cat

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #786 on: April 27, 2009, 01:59:09 AM »
Aw sorry Phoebe is having such an awful time (as well as yourself!) Hope the vet can work some magic! Good Luck!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Link to CatChat