Author Topic: Diabetes  (Read 23479 times)

saffron

Re: Diabetes
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2006, 20:25:47 PM »
glad to see he is better today,many hugs over Christmas to you

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
  • Yumi, Moggchops, Mister and Chalky !!!
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2006, 11:55:39 AM »
Got the vets later tonight will let you know how is George doing today ?
Fuss me Fuss me ..Come on I have things to do like Eating and sleeping !

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
  • Yumi, Moggchops, Mister and Chalky !!!
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2006, 16:56:12 PM »
Hi I have just been told that my baby Mister could have diabetes ...i hope George is okay :)
Fuss me Fuss me ..Come on I have things to do like Eating and sleeping !

fuzziesdad

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2006, 16:00:27 PM »
sorry the insulin he is on has not worked well for him lyn, george really is a little star give him a ((((((((((((((((((((((((((hug))))))))))))))))))))))) from me.
roger.

Offline Eve

• Adult Cat
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2006, 12:47:58 PM »
Sorry it wasnt better news  :-[ But what a star he is  :)

I so hope the new insulin works better!

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2006, 07:53:39 AM »
Fingers crossed they get it sorted soon, poor thing.
Please spay your cat

saffron

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2006, 00:13:02 AM »
so sorry it hasn't worked for him maybe on the new insulin he will be better. All paws crossed here for inproved results next week  :hug:

Offline Eve

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2006, 15:25:26 PM »
Wishing George all the best!!

Offline Eve

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2006, 09:27:17 AM »
Bless his paws! Hope all goes well today!

saffron

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2006, 18:53:24 PM »
what a sweetie to come to you when its time for his insulin, hope everything goes well on Tuesday

Offline Eve

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2006, 12:17:36 PM »
Im sorry to hear you havent had any good results with it Lyn, you really have persevered and given it your best shot. Did your friend have any luck with his VNS?

Offline Eve

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2006, 09:05:45 AM »
Glad to hear George is home and responding well  :)

Have you given up with your VNS now, was it not working at all?

Offline Eve

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2006, 09:08:02 AM »
Good luck George!!

saffron

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2006, 22:35:33 PM »
poor George hope he's a  better tomorrow  & paws crossed for tuesday

Offline Claire Hirsch

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2006, 07:57:34 AM »
Lyn what kind of insulin do they have him on?

There are some good kinds available now though the newer (better) ones tend to be more expensive. As Lynne says, it may be worth considering changing the type of insulin. (Some cats respond better to some types than others). Vets are sometimes unwilling to try experimenting but if he's not stable then one has to look at what might get him there.

With a blood glucose so high it's no wonder he's still drinking and weeing lots. He's probably not feeling great either (though clearly better than he was).

You could also try (with vet's permission, but I'd argue quite hard for this and consider doing it anyway) increasing his dose every week or two weeks by a very small amount and seeing how he does. (I mean by half a unit or even less if you have a syringe you can read that accurately). You're the frontline nurse in this instance and you're the one who'll know best and most immediately how he's doing. If you try this gradual increase for a month then he's blood-tested again you'll find out whether you might have reached the right level.

When I first had a diabetic cat I had just moved house and had signed on with a vet  I discovered wasn't particularly good (I soon changed). I did this gradual increase without asking them, as their approach was so cautious we'd never have got him stabilised. It worked and I'm glad I did it. The dose we ended up on was 3 units (100%) higher than the one recommended by the initial vet.

Is he on one dose a day or two? And do you notice differences throughout the day?

Also I'd highly recommend feeding him high protein and very low carbohydrate food. This is going to take some research (as most commercial cat food has more carbohydrate in than even an ordinary cat needs let alone a diabetic), or help from your vet (there are now some high protein special diabetic foods on the through-vet market as science has realised that diabetic cats are not- as was previously thought- like dogs or humans, and therefore need a different diet). Certainly he shouldn't eat anything like Whiskas, Felix, Brekkies, etc. which have sugar in (a real no-no). You might even try one meal a day of plain-boiled shredded chicken breast- but buy organic and/or one with no added sugar... yes, even some shop-bought packaged plain chicken breast can have sugar added! Time this meal according to the type of insulin he's on and when that's least effective in relation to his meal times... If you adjust his diet at a very early stage then you may find you don't need to increase the insulin so far to get him stable. Which would be a good thing for several reasons...

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2006, 00:53:40 AM »
Awwww,bless. My little guy seems to wee an awful lot too. It's quite frustrating because he literally sits in the room with the litter trays, watches me clean them and then goes for a massive wee in the most recently cleaned!(Still, better in there than anywhere else in the house!) :scared:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2006, 14:20:13 PM »
Hiya Lyn

Ive been offline for over a week and not yet had a chance to catch up with the hovel..sorry george was abit poorly, its always more worrying when they are like that and have diabetes. glad to hear he got over it though.

hope they get his levels sorted out.  Is he having twice daily injections and maybe after this bottle of insulin if its still not working they may need to try another type ??
but hopefully it will just be the case of adjusting the dose.

will try to catch up wth the hovel over the next few days.

Offline Eve

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006, 16:17:02 PM »
What a worry for you, i do hope the increased insulin helps his levels  :-[

Sounds like he has everyone twisted around his paws at the vets!

Offline Eve

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2006, 17:53:17 PM »
Not long now!! Bet you cant wait to give George a huuuuge cuddle!

Offline Eve

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2006, 14:50:02 PM »
Bless him! When do the blood results come back?

fuzziesdad

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 17:33:23 PM »
hows the lovely george today lyn.hope he is better ;D

saffron

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2006, 18:56:49 PM »
good   :)

Offline Claire Hirsch

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006, 23:38:44 PM »
Hi Lyn,
I'm on the diabetic cat register.
If you send me a personal message (someone here will be able to tell you how) I'll give you my contact details if you want advice from an old hand.
I know it feels devastating at first, and it does take a while with some cats to stabilise them, but things can improve fast.
It is well worth looking for info on the internet and well worth questioning your vet about the type of insulin George is having, frequency of dose, etc. There are different types of insulin around.
Also food is a really important part of things for a diabetic cat.
Cat diabetics aren't like humans or dogs because the feline metabolism is different. Current thinking goes that cats should be on a very low carb diet. So it's worth talking to your vet about that as it can really help in stabilising George.
Keep posting and do contact me if you'd like to...
Claire

saffron

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 19:46:23 PM »
info on its way to you Lyn, hope George has had a better day

Offline Eve

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 15:56:31 PM »
I hope George continues to improve Lyn  :)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 20:37:24 PM »
Cats Protection has compiled a register of people who have or have had experience with diabetic cats and who are willing to offer support and advice (non veterinary) to those with diabetic felines for  a copy of the register, please send an A5 SAE(stamps to the value of SOp) to; Helpline, Diabetic Cat Register, Cats Protection, National Cat Centre, Chelwood Gate, Haywards Heath. RH17 7TT
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline lucy persian

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 20:26:56 PM »
how is george to :best:
persian and pekingese are the best pets ever

Offline lucy persian

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 20:51:36 PM »
i am sure george will be ok, when he gets his diabeties sorted, drinking alot a weeing alot is a common sign of untreated diabetices also lack of energy, when he is in more of control of the diabetices he will be a much happier cat, i only know as i am diabetic too :hug:
persian and pekingese are the best pets ever

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 17:42:13 PM »
Hi Lyn,

Sorry about the mispelling of your name.  :doh:If I could type I would be dangerous.  :)It is not such an uncommon complaint these days.

I wish you both well.

Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 13:41:00 PM »
Hi Lynn,

You might find the attached links useful.

http://www.fabcats.org/diabetes.html

http://www.felinediabetes.com/
Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Lyn

Diabetes
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 13:25:14 PM »
My cat has just been diagnosed so this is obviously all new to me. George had his dosage doubled on monday night and today he has an upset tummy. Nothing too bad at the moment but obviously I am a bit worried. Could this be the insulin that has caused this? Phoned the vets and they said that he could just be feeling a bit off colour but to bring him in if it gets any worse. Apart from that he seems ok.

Link to CatChat