Author Topic: Bilbo is very poorly- He's gone  (Read 33182 times)

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
Re: Bilbo's lost huge amounts of weight and is puzzling the vets
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2009, 12:18:47 PM »
Lottie do your vets allow evening/nighttime vists - we find out who the oncall vet is and then they phone us when on the way to the surgery and we pop in for evening cuddles and treats

He really is in the best place and I'm sure all the team both fur and human are missing him especially his other half Pinball :hug:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2009, 12:17:28 PM »
Poor Bilbo, hope its nothing major and he gets well very soon  :hug:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Lottie (Team Svartalfheim's)

• Distinguished Cat
  • GB* Svartalfheim's Sunset Boulevard
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest cats
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2009, 12:15:20 PM »
Vet just called and nothing has shown up on the routine bloods so she's taken viral bloods to be sent to Glasgow so not exactly sure what they test for. He's on a drip and will have to stay in overnight but we can pick him up in the morning. Poor boy, don't like to think of him on his own in a tiny cage from 6pm tonight until 8.30am tomorrow  :(
Feel free to visit the Team at www.svartalfheim.co.uk

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2009, 11:00:19 AM »
Oh Lottie what they put us through - He is in very safe hands and I'm sure he will be home before you have gone in to very worried Mummy mode - I bet you have the phone in your hand and have the number on redial! :hug:

A severe UTI can cause all teh symptoms so a drip will be good - Bailey's was they belive a massive infection and he had all of Bilbo's issues

I have to say your boys seem to worry their Mum more than your girls!

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2009, 10:40:48 AM »
My beautiful boy has been at the vets since 8.30am and is having a general anaestetic for them to take full bloods for everything they can think of, take urine direct from his bladder and anything else they need to do (I've told them to just do anything they can to find out what the problem is). The vet was umming and aahing about a drip but I've told her just to put him on one to get extra fluids into him as even with the water he's drinking, the subQ fluids from yesterday plus the watered down a/d I syringed into him he's now starting to get dehydrated. His urine from last night showed an awful lot of crystals hence them taking urine direct from his bladder today to look at. He's lost more weight since yesterday afternoon and he's actually starting to look off colour and tired today  :'(

Please send him lots of positive vibes as I'm rather worried about the anaestetic when he's already not well. Anne said to ring her at 2pm to see how he's doing but I think they know they'll be lucky if they don't hear from me before then. I'm just so glad that I have such absolutely fantastic vets in Sandy and Anne.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 10:41:11 AM by Lottie (Team Svartalfheim's) »

Offline hannah (weeny)

• Honorary Cat
  • JASPER!!
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2009, 23:32:34 PM »
hope he's ok  :hug:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2009, 23:23:10 PM »
Sending lots of positive vibes your way hun  :hug:

Its unlikely to be kidney or thyroid related, as he's so young?  I know rare cases can be found, but as I say, probably very unlikely.

He might have a UTI infection or something if his wee is different to normal?

Hope he eats his dinner and you can get some answers soon, sudden weight loss is a worry, especially when you don't know the reason behind it xxxx

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2009, 21:44:21 PM »
He normally eats around 75% dry Gillian and his urine isn't usually this dark. He's now been drinking a bit more than usual + 50ml subQ fluids and not had any dry food for ~48hrs so surely he should be v well hydrated by now and so more dilute urine?

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2009, 21:28:01 PM »
Hope he's ok Lottie.  :hug: Its unlikely to be hyperthryoidism - it would be most unusual at his age. Does he normally eat a lot of dry? that would result in a more concentrated urine.

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 21:20:31 PM »
Yes it does smell very strong, almost a very mild 'burn your nose' ammonia smell. Never thought to smell it!!

Will def write a list. Just been trying to syringe feed him some watered down a/d and he's really not happy and getting rather stressed by it  :( I just wish he knew I'm only upsetting him because I love him so much. 

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 21:13:33 PM »
If there is an infection then yes you will -

Silly question but does the urine smell "strong" - only asking as Tigers smelt strong and it was concentrated and dark in colour - he loved water to so we didn't notice at first - I was in Dublin at that time

The vets will be helpful and perhaps with everything going on write yourself a list of questions and things you have noticed - the lsit will also be useful as I know how busy you are with teh team and their non fur brother our darling Findlay! :hug:

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 21:00:01 PM »
I've just got a huuuge urine sample from him and on looking closely at it up to the light it seems to have tiny bits in it  :-: Is it supposed to??? He's not struggling to wee at all and is in no pain weeing. His urine looks rather concentrated whereas I'd have expected drinking more = paler urine  :scared:

He's drinking a bit more than usual Liz but not huge amounts more (he's a good drinker normally). I'll get them to test everything they can tomorrow including thyroid then. Will I get any results back tomorrow?

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 20:35:24 PM »
Sending positive vibes for our darling Bilbo Baggins~~~~~ Hope they get to the bottom of this soon!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 20:32:04 PM »
In answer to your question a white high cell count will show up if its an infection or the like - Baileys white count was so high it scard teh vet and in fact most of his bills were for blood tests and we had inhouse and Glasgow just to verify - 4 days in a row!

Is he drinking a lot - Tiger always liked water but he also lost weight with it to don't forget Thyroid to =- I would be asking for a full blood panel - might as well test for everything in one hit

They would also have to do a glucose curve for the diabetes but thats a seperate test and a whole day at teh vet - fortunately for us Tiger didn't keep reminding them he was ferals as he got nice food during that test!

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 20:27:56 PM »
Thanks Liz will suggest Campasilla to the vet.

Will diabetes show up on the normal blood tests or is there another test I'll need to ask for to rule that out? Is he too young for hyperT, he's just turned 4.

Would (heaven forbid) things like cancer show up in normal blood profiles?

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 20:21:40 PM »
Lottie hope the wonderful Bilbo will eat something for you

I know its a long shot but there is a nasty bug called Campasilla - not sure of the spelling and it took 9 months to cure Jazz

Also I know the usual stuff for weight loss - Tiger lost over a kilo in a fortnight - he was our late diabetic boy

We also had bailey at the vet - he spent a week in hospital and lost over a kilo in a week despite more bllod tests and all teh usual stuff vet thought he wouldn't recover he is fine now apart from all the shaved bit and you wouldn't know he had been ill!

All fingers and paws crossed here for the wonderful Bilbo who is beter looking in real life - I have met him and he is truely gorgeous :Luv2:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 20:21:29 PM »
Oh Right  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 20:15:44 PM »
They become like lovestruck teenagers - LOL

I hope you find out what is causing the weight loss - it must be such a worry.  Love ang huggles for Mr Baggins xxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 20:03:49 PM »
I think Sheryl was just enquiring if he was a stud boy Gill as studs of all breeds (but obv Sheryl is most familiar with Bengals) have a tendency to get sidetracked from their food if girls are being teases!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 19:54:25 PM »
I think you mixing up Lottie and Linda, Bilbo is a NFC not a bengal and he is hugeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee and gorgeous  ;D He is not a stud cat either just big and cuddley and lovely  ;D

Linda has the bengals  ;D

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 19:53:26 PM »
No he's my neuter boy Sheryl. It's just so confusing that he's lost so much weight so quickly and yet seems fine  :Crazy: He's currently on my lap attempting to catch the cursor on the screen bless him.

Gill I have passed on your strokes and he's purring away  :)

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 19:49:00 PM »
Sending lots of "get better" vibes for the gorgeous Bilbo and hoping he soon gets his appetite back.

Is he a Stud boy Lottie?  I know some of the Stud Bengals lose weight and condition if they are pining for a lady friend
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 19:28:59 PM »
I am so sorry to hear that Bilbo is losing weight and not eating and hope that the bloods will give the reason why. Its not normal when a piggy goes off his foog anfd has lost a lot of weight in a short time.

Sending lots of strokes to Bilbo and hope the mystery is sorted very quickly  :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Distinguished Cat
Bilbo is very poorly- He's gone
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 17:28:57 PM »
I rang the vets in a panic yesterday when I went out to top up Bilbo's food and discovered that the level in his bowl hadn't changed since I topped it up on Tuesday and I noticed when I gave him a good squeeze all over that he seemed to have lost quite a bit of weight very suddenly which is not like him. Tried him with warmed up tuna, hairball paste, Cimicat and allsorts and he will not eat anything, he just sniffs it and walks away.

Took him to the vets today and the vet agreed that he was a lot thinner when he squeezed him as to just look at him and to just stroke him normally he feels absolutely fine as he's got such a big coat on him all year round he just looked like he'd slimmed down a bit as like most cats he had cut down how much he was eating recently due to the hot weather but was still eating plenty for his size. We weighed him at the vets and he's lost a serious amount of weight in a very short time and he simply cannot go on losing weight at the rapid rate he has been this week.

The vet listened to his heart and lungs which were fine, his temperature is fine, his mouth, jaw and teeth are all fine, not tender and nice and pink, his tummy isn't tender to the touch, bladder feels fine, he can't feel any lumps in his tummy or anywhere else and Bilbo is still being his usual happy and purring self and still playing with his beloved waggler so the vet is at a total loss as to what is wrong with him as other than his weight loss and his third eyelid being slightly up he seems perfectly healthy  :-:

He's been given an antibiotic jab, 50ml subQ fluids as whilst he's not dehydrated it saves panicking overnight about that and we've got some a/d (our vets don't use Liquivite apparently) plus the litter that doesn't absorb so I can get a urine sample just in case he's got an infection. He said to take his food away for a few hours in case he's feeling a bit queasy and then try him with just a teaspoon or two of mushed up warm a/d (which I'm just about to do) and if he won't eat it then I'll syringe it into him but the vet said if it's just a bit of a bug the antibiotics should kick in quickly with it being a jab rather than tablets and he should start to eat again on his own this evening so  :crossed:. If he does start eating overnight then it probably is some sort of bug and he's got antibiotic tablets to start taking tomorrow for 5 days.

Bilbo was ever such a good boy as usual and just sat on the table unrestrained for his jab and subQ fluids but was padding away on the table and giving the vet kisses and cuddles. He really is a vets ideal patient  :Luv:

If he's not eating anything of his own accord by first thing in the morning (ie when I check at 6.30am) then he's got to go back in to see the vet for bloods when they open at 8.30am and see if they show anything up (I asked about bloods today and he said to see how he goes overnight first with this jab).

I forgot to ask about a Vit B12 injection today but will ask tomorrow as I seem to remember that that can help stimulate appetites (am I remembering this correctly??). Never thought I'd see the day when I'd be asking about appetite stimulants for the usually piggy boy who has been known to chew into 10kg bags of Royal Canin and once chewed through the tube and ate a whole tube of Katalax that I left out and then wondered why he couldn't get off the litter tray  :evillaugh:

If you could send lots of positive hungry thoughts to my gorgeous Mr Baggins please and keep your fingers crossed that this jab kicks in soon and solves the problem and he puts the weight back on quickly  :thanks:

And this people is also why you should always keep insurance up to date as Bilbo's ran out in April when I was stuck in Dorset and I didn't renew it as he's 4 years old and never had anything wrong with him other than 1 abscess and the very odd tummy upset so thought there was no point in paying out for yet another year of unused insurance and just today's visit would have taken me up to the excess if he'd still been insured :doh:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 20:24:36 PM by Lottie (Team Svartalfheim's) »

Link to CatChat