Author Topic: Breeding my cat  (Read 54810 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Breeding my cat
« Reply #175 on: August 27, 2009, 19:36:42 PM »
Fingers crossed shes feeling better soon, must be so uncomfortable!

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #174 on: August 27, 2009, 08:18:38 AM »
I had mastitis, keep up the antibiotics and it will soon clear up.

Good luck
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #173 on: August 26, 2009, 22:39:53 PM »
Oh dear, I do hope she will be alright, poor little girl  :hug: :hug:

Offline Dar

• Adult Cat
« Reply #172 on: August 26, 2009, 20:27:33 PM »
you were right Milly she has mastitis, the vet put both her and the babies on antibotics and gave mom some pain medication. We are hand feeding the babies now as they don't like the wet food yet.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #171 on: August 26, 2009, 18:48:46 PM »
Any news?

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #170 on: August 25, 2009, 19:18:25 PM »
Straight to vet, sounds like mastitis to me which it is very painful and an urgent condition to treat. The kittens will need feeding by you as they wont be getting enough from her, your vet can show you how to do this

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #169 on: August 25, 2009, 18:24:14 PM »
Or your vet

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #168 on: August 25, 2009, 16:46:29 PM »
Dar I'd speak to whoever is your mentor

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #167 on: August 25, 2009, 16:14:22 PM »
Try them on a bit of wet kitten food
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Dar

• Adult Cat
« Reply #166 on: August 25, 2009, 15:39:05 PM »
Hello everyone I was wondering how early I can start giving the kittens some canned kitten food there are 3 weeks old, my poor mommy cat has raw nipples and a couple look like they have little sores on them and she cries and whimpers when she feeds them. I have a tiny little bottle and some KMR, but I was told that I should not give it to the babies because they may not want there mothers milk if I start giving it to them. They always seem very hungry and try to suck on my fingers and hand when I pet them.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #165 on: August 17, 2009, 21:39:34 PM »
Your other cat will be curious about the noises and strange smells, but the mother cat will be feeling protective of her babies - a barrier separation will be necessary. Sometimes a cat will allow another cat to become an 'aunty' to the kittens. Mine did. It worked out well once she wanted to escape their demands as the aunty would stand in for her when she went for a wander. But it does not always work that way and sometimes the non-parental cat can become aggressive toward the kittens. So use your judgement as to what is going on and ensure no access to the kittens (and mum) unless you are directly supervising proceedings.

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #164 on: August 17, 2009, 21:28:34 PM »
mum and babies are doing great and eating me out of house and home lol. I have had to keep my other cat separate because they do not get along at all right now, anyone know how long until they will be friends again?

Mum cat will be protecting her little ones and it is always advisable to keep other family pets away, too much stress may cause her to abandon her nest or even kill her babies in order to preserve herself.

I would keep them apart till little ones are weaned, but still expect some grumbling and claws at dawn till the babies have been rehomed. You may then have to try reintroducing the two.
Nuneaton and Hinckley Cats in Need

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #163 on: August 17, 2009, 19:19:44 PM »
awwww  :Luv: :Luv:
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Dar

• Adult Cat
« Reply #162 on: August 17, 2009, 18:44:09 PM »
mum and babies are doing great and eating me out of house and home lol. I have had to keep my other cat separate because they do not get along at all right now, anyone know how long until they will be friends again?

Offline Philip

• Distinguished Cat
    • United Kingdom Ragdoll Cat Trust
  • Slave to: Ellie, Bertie, Christian, Saba
« Reply #161 on: August 13, 2009, 20:03:44 PM »
Hows mum and little ones doing ?

Bet mum is eating more food than you expected.  :evillaugh:
[/img]
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/cheekee_munkee/All-3-together-web.jpg[/img]

RIP Maddy 02/06/2009 xxx
RIP Delphi 21/02/2011 xxx
RIP Skye xxxx

Bring love and happiness to all you do and it will be repaid tenfold.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #160 on: August 09, 2009, 22:54:05 PM »
very sweet  ;D

Offline melysion

• Adult Cat
« Reply #159 on: August 09, 2009, 22:39:57 PM »
cute pic!  :Luv2:

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #158 on: August 09, 2009, 19:57:10 PM »
Beautiful  :Luv2:

Offline Dar

• Adult Cat
« Reply #157 on: August 09, 2009, 19:36:26 PM »
Apparently I have been saved the trouble of moving the babies, she moved them into her little house, Here is the first pic sorry for the quality I took it with my phone.

Offline Dar

• Adult Cat
« Reply #156 on: August 09, 2009, 19:02:07 PM »
it's no a lot of blood, just a little I think  I will try to call this other vet even though I really don't like him he is the only other vet in our town. This guy is terrible though so I don't think I wil ltake her unless  Ireally have to. When I had a dog I took her there to be spayed she was a very hyper dog not trained at all I got her from the humane society anyway.... right after she got spayed he was bringing her out and she jumped up on him and he actaully kicked her right in the stomach and yelled "down" uuurrrgg I was so furious I even tried to report him for abuse but it's seems some one could do anything about it. So I have never called or gone back to that place.

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #155 on: August 09, 2009, 18:56:01 PM »
Its probably nothing to worry about. I rushed a foster cat to the vet for the same reason (plus she had given birth to her last kitten 36 hours after the others) and he practically laughed me out of the surgery! Though in hindsight I have not seen it in any of the other mums.

and in a way I'm quite glad you did get stick on this forum - after all it is predominantly a rescue forum. I find myself getting quite upset over any planned litters with the stuff I deal with day in and out and I'm sure most people involved in rescue feel the same way.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 18:58:34 PM by Angie (covcats) »

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #154 on: August 09, 2009, 18:54:21 PM »
Cat's can bleed for a couple of days after giving birth, but it shouldnt be a lot. I would be tempted to ring the emergency vet just to be on the safe side.
Please spay your cat

Offline Dar

• Adult Cat
« Reply #153 on: August 09, 2009, 18:51:51 PM »
She did get them all out, so I'm not sure what is causing the bleeding all the vets are closed on Sundays and my regular vet who would of course see her whenever I needed him is on Vacation  :doh:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #152 on: August 09, 2009, 18:48:37 PM »
Sounds like you need to get her vet checked cos cant that cause some saeriuos problems?

I hope she is OK  :hug:

Offline Dar

• Adult Cat
« Reply #151 on: August 09, 2009, 18:47:09 PM »
So while I was sitting here mao came out and had some food and jumped up on my lap for some pets and I noticed that she still has some fresh blood coming out or her "area" and when she jumped down she had her tail straight up and kinda of shaking back and forth like a male cat would if he was spraying? I'm a little worried, she got all of the placenta's I was watching for that becauses I know the problems it can cause.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #150 on: August 09, 2009, 18:43:13 PM »
Its great you got the support here when you really needed it and understand that things are never easy as what you have read  ;D

A bit like DIY, in the books every thing has square corners and was put  in or done right in the first place but...............sigh!!

Dont scare them with the camera too early but I will love to see the pictures when you are able  ;D

Offline Dar

• Adult Cat
« Reply #149 on: August 09, 2009, 18:37:43 PM »
going to attempt to move the babies out of my bed today, my back is getting so sore and I have to go to work in the morning. If she gets to upset  I guess  I will have to leave and and go buy a blow up mattress or something. I will try to post some pics today again it really depends on how she reacts. The whole family is doing great and she is being a great mom.

P.S ya  I was given a bit of a hard time but I do understand that there are so many unwanted kittens around that need homes and there are tones of people who are just letting there cats have kittens because they think they are cute and don't really know what they are going to do with them. However this was never the case with me and I was never really seeking permission or approval on breeding my cat all I really wanted was to see how the size of my cat would affect her when she did get pregnant and if it was safe for her. I never did get an answer to that question from here, but I took her to the vet before I bred her and he said she would be fine and if she had any problems he would do a Cesarean. But  I did gets loads of support and great advice while she was giving birth. I would like to thank everyone for that  I thought I was completely prepared I read sssooo many books and online post but when it came time that all went right out the window as she didn't really follow the "normal" signs of giving birth all she did was meow and she had no discharge or anything then all of a sudden the first baby was out. So Thanks again for the Support everyone.

Offline melysion

• Adult Cat
« Reply #148 on: August 08, 2009, 12:04:26 PM »
I cant wait to see the babies ... I just love Siamese cats. Indeed, I'm considering going to a Siamese rescue place at some point to adopt one.

As a side note - sorry you had a rough time Dar ... being slated because of the topic of my first post here is precisely why I'm more or less just a lurker on Purrs. I belong to another (American based) cat forum where I am extremely active but some attitudes here have really put me off which is a shame because I'm from the  UK and I was very excited to find a UK-based forum. However, the few times I have posted here I have got a load of support and advice so its a good place   ;D Plus, I'm a Top Cat volunteer on Cat Chat and its nice to 'get to know' some of the people who run the rescues that I make the ads for by reading their threads
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 12:09:58 PM by melysion »

Offline Dar

• Adult Cat
« Reply #147 on: August 08, 2009, 04:43:08 AM »
Sleeping on the floor tonight  I guess my husband has claimed the couch  :P

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #146 on: August 08, 2009, 00:28:15 AM »
I hope you left them in your bed and you are sleeping on the floor.....its the price you pay LOL

So pleased she is Ok and RIP the little one that didnt make it

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #145 on: August 07, 2009, 22:42:23 PM »
so now that they are in my bed obviously they can't stay there I will need to sleep at some point although I haven't slept now since Wednesday night  :'( how can I move her and the babies without stressing her she defiantly doesn't want me moving them and she watches me very closely even when I'm just looking at them  I Can't pick them up or she grabs it away.

Is there anywhere else you can sleep ?
just for a couple of nights while she calms down and settles into mother hood ?

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #144 on: August 07, 2009, 22:20:13 PM »
Glad they are doing well and mum is a happy girl. RIP little one

Offline Dar

• Adult Cat
« Reply #143 on: August 07, 2009, 21:33:53 PM »
so now that they are in my bed obviously they can't stay there I will need to sleep at some point although I haven't slept now since Wednesday night  :'( how can I move her and the babies without stressing her she defiantly doesn't want me moving them and she watches me very closely even when I'm just looking at them  I Can't pick them up or she grabs it away.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #142 on: August 07, 2009, 21:14:36 PM »
So sorry to hear the little one died - cats have an uncanny ability to know these things. It can be a bit messy when they decide to share the birthing experience with you  :sick:

Four viable kittens is a great result for a first pregnancy. So well done both of you. Do get her into the vet for a checkup as soon as possible though as if she has retained any placenta that can be bad for her.

Am guessing by now you have a bed full  of purring bundles  :Luv2:

Offline Dar

• Adult Cat
« Reply #141 on: August 07, 2009, 20:47:18 PM »
another kitten was born just a while ago in my bed  :sick: thats 4 live ones woot woot they are all doing great now so fluffy

Offline Philip

• Distinguished Cat
    • United Kingdom Ragdoll Cat Trust
  • Slave to: Ellie, Bertie, Christian, Saba
« Reply #140 on: August 07, 2009, 18:53:52 PM »
Also don't get her spayed whilst she is in heat (if she does go into heat again). Higher levels of hormones increase the risk of bleeding.
[/img]
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/cheekee_munkee/All-3-together-web.jpg[/img]

RIP Maddy 02/06/2009 xxx
RIP Delphi 21/02/2011 xxx
RIP Skye xxxx

Bring love and happiness to all you do and it will be repaid tenfold.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #139 on: August 07, 2009, 18:40:55 PM »
It is better to wait till the kittens are fully weaned and then about 7-10 days for her milk to die down - they can be spayed sooner, but it is a lot riskier. Be careful with all the doors for the next 10 weeks or so, as if she does come into heat (and they can do as early as 2 days after giving birth), then she will try and get out
Please spay your cat

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #138 on: August 07, 2009, 18:39:38 PM »
once the kittens have stopped feeding from her she can be spayed

Offline Dar

• Adult Cat
« Reply #137 on: August 07, 2009, 18:37:03 PM »
Oh I was also wondering how soon after giving birth can she be spayed, I really don't want to put her through another heat so I would like to make the appointment ASAP

Offline Dar

• Adult Cat
« Reply #136 on: August 07, 2009, 18:33:45 PM »
well no sign of another kitten being born she is settled down now and moved them all into our bed, but they are all cleaned off and so is she, so it's OK for now  :Luv2: so the grand total was 4 kittens including the baby that didn't make it :( the other 3 seem to be doing well thank god. No pics yet the camera seems to upset her when I tried to take one so  I put it away.

Link to CatChat