Author Topic: Clapton Sores - now given Surolan - any experience with this?  (Read 22732 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Clapton has more sores on his body -update - feeling better with pics
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2009, 12:12:10 PM »

Love the piccies, can't get enough of piccies of Clapton  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

Here's a few more then  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 12:13:56 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2009, 12:08:51 PM »
So pleased he's feeling so much better.

Love the piccies, can't get enough of piccies of Clapton  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2009, 12:08:08 PM »
So pleased Clapton is feeling better now :)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2009, 11:47:47 AM »
After his last shots, he has perked up a lot and not scratching  :) - The skin seems to be healing. I went to take a photo as he wanted to sit on my lap and the camera was within reach and he just wanted to play with the strap  :Luv2:

I have been putting some binders in all his food so hopefully that is helping a bit. It's so good to see him enjoying life again. I just wish the sun would come out so he could sit in the garden.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 12:09:43 PM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Re: Clapton has more sores on his body
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2009, 09:26:16 AM »
I'm sure that's what he said but understand what you are saying - a website said Pyrometra literally translates as pus-womb so it can't be that  :-: - maybe a similar word?

Anyway, he seems a lot calmer today and although he is licking the sore areas, it is normal washing and not heavy-duty licking/chewing  :Luv2:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2009, 09:19:45 AM »
Fingers crossed for the results - I think you misheard the vet though MArk, pyometra is a womb infection, I suspect it would be pretty hard for a male cat to have that!! :-) Interesting that he used a 6 week steroid jab, I didn't think they did those, I wonder if they are safe with CRF - did he do the jab before or after the bloods, as steroids can affect blood test readings and give false kidney readings.
Please spay your cat

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2009, 08:40:02 AM »
Sending Clapton lots more healing hugs  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2009, 01:50:30 AM »
  :hug: for Clapton, i do hope he starts feeling better. From my experiance with Phoebe i know how irritating is to have skin problems.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2009, 00:13:43 AM »
OH is worried that Clapton is dopey. He is just relaxed and sleeping  :Luv2: - I explained that it has stopped him producing histamine so he has stopped itching and is getting a well-earned sleep  :Luv2: - He forgave me eventually. I found him hiding behind the sofa and laid down with him for an hour.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2009, 15:51:28 PM »
well done Clapton for putting up a bit of a struggle with the Man in the Green Coat! Seriously I hope the meds help and the bloods come back ok.  What IS it with vets and macs? Mine is a mac maniac too. (obviously doesn't have the world's dodgiest mac like we do  :evillaugh:)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2009, 15:50:15 PM »
Big hugs for Clapton....hope they manage (or you) to get to the bottom of this allergy thing!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2009, 15:43:41 PM »
Hope the meds help Clapton and that his blood results are ok   :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2009, 15:18:48 PM »
All done! - Clapton was hiding and it was a nightmare getting hold of him. The vet bought a VN with him and it all went well. They shaved a tiny amount of fur ans he has sores. The vet said as he suspected, Clappy now has secondary infections and he said some of them look like they run quite deep (he mentioned pyometra) and are hard to treat. He gave Clappy a convenia jab and a 6-week, low-dose steroid jab. He will call me tomorrow with the blood results. (He was eyeing our new Mac and when I told him there was a new mac shop in Canterbury, he said he is going to buy one tomorrow as well  :evillaugh: )

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2009, 08:31:28 AM »
The only food I can think of they have been eating over the last couple of months is I give them the odd tin of Go-cat chicken & tuna. I bought a tin as a one-off and they all went mad for it so I give them a tine between 4 of them once or twice a week as a treat. As it is made by Purina, I would have thought it would be the same as Felix but maybe there is a different colouring or something. I will stop feeding it to see if it makes a difference.

I will also mention it to the vet today as well as the Pica - he was licking the paint last night. I will also phone the company who put the fireplaces in to see what paint they use. I have heard that fireproofing can cause HyperT so wonder if they use fireproof paint.

Edit - I just phoned them and they said it was painted with Thermolac which is made by Stovax. I am waiting for them to open to give me ingredients. The stove shop said it contains isocyanates but he isn't sure what else  :scared:

2nd edit - I have googled isocyanates and found something that says they raise igE levels (don't know what they are) in the body and causes allergies. I am goin to buy some safe water based paint tomorrow. I will buy it in the eco shop down the road so they will know what is in it.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 08:59:00 AM by Mark »

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2009, 07:52:01 AM »
Allergies are a pain to sort out, it can be that 1 ingredient in something (which can be in many dfferent brands) that triggers it off and things from that family of foods.

When we had Timmy his tummy was bad unless he ate Purina Dry, that all he could tolerate so whatever it was that upset him was obviously missing in Purina.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 07:54:10 AM by janeyk »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2009, 18:59:58 PM »
Thanks Carol - I will mention it to the vet when he comes tomorrow - which reminds me, I meant to buy a polythene sheet today ready for Clapton peeing midair  :scared:

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2009, 20:40:07 PM »
I suspect that in Korky's case if it is a food allergy its to something that's found in most commercial foods because he was on mainly Whisakas before he went on the RC but its Felix that has caused the reaction (if thats what it is) now.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2009, 20:24:54 PM »
I'm trying to think if there is any food he has been eating lately but can't think of anything. Clapton's skins was bad when I met OH who was then feeding Willow on Whiskas wet & dry - not for long trhough  :evillaugh:

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2009, 20:24:06 PM »
i wouldn't rule out food allergy as a cause Mark.  Korky used to suffer from an unknown allergy (tried all the usual things like fleas etc) which resulted in scabs just about anywhere on his body, but especially around his neck.  He didn't lick them but he did scratch them.  However, apart from that they didn't seem to bother him and he liked me picking them off when they were 'ripe'  :evillaugh:  We ruled out food allergy because his diet was constant whereas his allergy was sometimes a lot worse than at other times.  He has had no problem for ages now and I realise its since he went on the Royal Canin renal food.  I probably wouldn't have realised this but as you know he's been a picky with his food lately so I have been mixing a bit a Felix Senior in with the RC and last night when I was cuddling him I found two small scabs on his neck.  Could be coincidence but its a strong temporal relationship. I'm going to stop the Felix and try something else to see what happens.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2009, 19:53:28 PM »
His side looks awful but he is fine in himself and his appetite certainly isn't affected. He even went for a lounge in the garden earlier.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2009, 19:26:09 PM »
Oh poor Clapton.  He must be allergic to something  :hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2009, 19:08:37 PM »
He is worse again  :(

I tried to arrange a home visit but they said they are really busy with horse castrations this week  :-: - they may be able to do Tuesday but it is the vet I had trouble with who isn't good with cats IMO - they said one of the other male vets may be able to come. I want to do full bloods as well so may just have to subject him to a 10 mile round trip. I also want to make it clear that I don't want their 3 practice dogs running round or a waiting room full of dogs - nor do I want to wait 45 minutes to be seen like the last time  :tired:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2009, 07:38:44 AM »
glad he is a little better  :)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2009, 22:30:32 PM »
Thanks CC - It will have to be a gentle one as he has a sore on his head  :(

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2009, 22:10:42 PM »
Give Clapton a head rub from me  :)

:ahh:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2009, 21:05:28 PM »
As long as its all going the right way thats the main thing.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2009, 20:04:45 PM »
I think some sunshine helps his skin a lot.

Fresh air and sunshine?  Yes, it will - and it's free  :)  I won't be drawn on the other nonsense  ;)
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2009, 19:45:24 PM »
Still using it but I am a real skeptic  :evillaugh:. He was in the garden this afternoon. I think some sunshine helps his skin a lot.

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2009, 17:10:37 PM »
Any update hun?

You still been using the RR?  :evillaugh:  Told ya its good stuff.  :sneaky:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2009, 12:29:16 PM »
There seems to be some improvement so I will leave it a few days before calling the vet. I am not saying it is the snake oil rescue remedy that did it though  :evillaugh:

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2009, 12:53:03 PM »
When Misty had His Flea bite allergy, I was confused because there had been no Flea infestation's for over three years
and I live on the second floor ( know fleas are good jumpers, but not 30ft surely  :-: )
the vet did say it could have got there with the wind
Like I said He got some kind of injection and it soon cleared up

Hope you can get to the bottom of this soon Mark
 :hug: for Clapton  :Luv:
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2009, 12:08:37 PM »
There might not be any sign of fleas. I found a grand total of 3 fleas last summer - there was no sign of flea dirt on any of my furries. It took me a looooooong time to just find one flea and that was on Memphis. Then I came across another 2 several days later. Memphis had a noticeable sore spot under his chin which he scratched. But other than that there wasn't any signs of fleas until I really went looking and I only went looking because Molly was scratching like crazy. Even then I didn't find a thing on Molly  :shocked:

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2009, 11:50:15 AM »
I haven't sprayed the house - I will get some Indorex. There hasn't been any sign of fleas though.

btw - I got this reply about the skin cream

Hi Mark,

Many thanks for your enquiry.

Unfortunately Petnat products, including Dermacton are not suitable for use
on cats.  Although entirely safe if ingested by dogs, certain essential oils
and herbal extracts may have detrimental effects if ingested by a cat.

We do however have the colloidal silver spray which would certainly be safe
to use on a cat and the antibacterial and antifungal properties of the
colloidal silver could certainly help with any skin problems.

Another product we would recommend to use safely on skin problems in cats is
Aloe or Aloe Vera although we do not supply these.

Regards,

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2009, 10:21:36 AM »
Mark, you say Clapton has been treated for fleas. Have you treated the house for fleas too? The flea products for animals kills the flea after it has bitten, so the bite is enough to set off the reaction, even though they have been treated. If you treat the whole house and the stronghold etc takes effect there should in theory be no fleas left to bite him - if they are the cause of his problem.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2009, 09:07:33 AM »
I'm confused now. I know the cream is made for dogs but Liz says it's OK for cats too?  :Crazy:

I have emailed them to ask if it is suitable for cats.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 09:37:04 AM by Mark »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2009, 23:19:36 PM »
When you say 'some of the cream' - did you see this post... not sure if you're talking about a different cream?

http://www.aromesse.com/pages/petnat/dermacton.htm
On Leighs post he says this product isnt for cats

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2009, 23:15:35 PM »
a friend's cat had a similar sounding problem which was a flea allergy and I think was treated with steroid pills. I will ask her if there was anything else that she did that worked. Hope Clapton is feeling a lot better soon.

The thing is, the vet even treated him for fleas (even though I had done him 2 weeks earlier). I will give him a Frontline tomorrow as Stronghold and the Advocate the vet gave him made him sore - in fact the advocate just gave him a bloody sore  :( - I will start with the RR and order some of the cream, give him a week and get the vet over again if need be. He only started going back in the dining room a few days ago after the last vet visit but I think a vet trip will just make him worse.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2009, 20:19:17 PM »
I can't help but think fleas when I read this. Memphis had a couple of sores, including one under his chin. A flea bit him, he scratched it which made it sore. It then scabbed over. Once I treated him and the house for fleas there were no more sore spots/scabs.

Molly actually has a flea allergy - just a single bite sets her off and she gets really itchy and won't stop scratching/biting herself. A steroid jab sorts her out but it only takes one tiny bite to make her whole body itch.

Really hope Clapton gets sorted out soon  :Luv:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2009, 20:09:20 PM »
a friend's cat had a similar sounding problem which was a flea allergy and I think was treated with steroid pills. I will ask her if there was anything else that she did that worked. Hope Clapton is feeling a lot better soon.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2009, 20:04:49 PM »
Has he started eating different food?

Sorry, I missed this one. His food hasn't changed. He has eaten a mix of Whiskas senior, Felix senior, Sheba salmon in jelly & Tesco tuna in jelly for a long time now. The only thing I can think of that is different is for the last month, I have ben leaving a dish of Hills K/D dry out but I think Kylie & Willow eat more of it than he does  :shify:

He has migrated to the dining room from the bedroom this week so we now have Feliway number 6 on the go  :Crazy:

Link to CatChat