Author Topic: Wishes for Rosie please  (Read 54650 times)

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Re: Wishes for Rosie please
« Reply #359 on: June 28, 2008, 11:00:34 AM »
 :hug: for you and  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: for little Rosie posie

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #358 on: June 28, 2008, 10:19:15 AM »
 :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #357 on: June 28, 2008, 09:56:43 AM »
Thanks everyone, I do feel it is time. She had a nice time on the bed this morning. She is picky with her food again, so might have to use the last appetite stimulant, but I am going to go shopping first, to see what I can tempt her with, she has already had one pill down her throat and would prefer not to do a second if I can help it. Have just rang the vets, they have made me an emergency appointment for Monday, as they were initially full.
Please spay your cat

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #356 on: June 28, 2008, 09:32:35 AM »
Desley, I feel a little like crying. It's really hard to watch a cat deteriorate and you always take oldies on.  :hug: Hoping Rosie gets to spend her last weekend content and feels all that love that you give her. Well done for being so strong. :hug: If by any chance she does improve that'll be great but sometimes it's just time.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #355 on: June 28, 2008, 06:51:10 AM »
I am sorry Des it must be awful for you.  Poor little Rosie.  Let's hope, if this is to be her last weekend, that she is comfortable.

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #354 on: June 27, 2008, 23:28:07 PM »
thinking of you and Rosie :hug:
Love me,love my animals.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #353 on: June 27, 2008, 23:25:03 PM »
Thanks BM, I have that feeling now. She is still on the sofa, which is nice, I have just never got her to spend so long on there, and I hope she can find the tray if she needs to go - the downstairs one doesn't have anything under it though, so will know if she misses that!! I hope she does too.
Please spay your cat

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #352 on: June 27, 2008, 23:14:48 PM »
Although I really want to pray for the magic Des...something from somewhere is telling me her days are shortening and it just dosnt feel fair to will her on when she is like this!  :( She is obviously starting to go downhill and when a cat is prepared to lie in its own wee there is definitely something up....Hope she has a nice and pain free as possible weekend....will be thinking of you both!!!  :hug: x

:ahh:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #351 on: June 27, 2008, 21:52:50 PM »
We have had a bad night since I got home, i found some food she liked this mornign, and was all ready to go and get some more, but though I would give her the other half a tin before I did, and she decided she didn't really want to eat, and the amoutn she has weeed today is unbelieveable. I went to check her for dehydration, and she was very annoyed with that, and went for me (fortunately, her teeth aren't sharp at all), and has snapped at the ohter cats tonight. There is also a faint wee smell from her and her bed (I did think I smelt it on her the other day, but the bed was dry, so I thought I was imagining things - she has weed in her bed and slept in it before), and I Think she has got to the stage where she is weeing so much she can't drink enough to keep herself hydrated, nor can she get comfy, as she is sleepig in odd places that she has never bothered with in the 3 months I have had her. Unless things magically improve this weekend, she will be going up on Mon, and if the vet advises it, it will be her final visit, I do feel as though it is time now.
Please spay your cat

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #350 on: June 27, 2008, 12:28:45 PM »
Fingers crossed that Rosie is able to get more fluids down her! C'mon girl you can do it!!!  :Luv: :Luv: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #349 on: June 27, 2008, 12:14:46 PM »
good luck with Rosie. I hope that her eating and playing a bit is a good sign.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #348 on: June 27, 2008, 09:21:05 AM »
How's little Rosie this morning?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #347 on: June 26, 2008, 20:32:25 PM »
Thanks all, she hasn't drank as much while i have been out, but has eaten, so i have told the vets I Dont want to bring her up tonight (dont think she would have appreciated me dragging her out in heavy rain anyway!!), but will take her up tomorrow night/Sat morning if she isn't drinking any more. She has played with me though, and has had a potter round.
Please spay your cat

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #346 on: June 26, 2008, 10:36:02 AM »
Im rooting for Rosie here Des....Last year I had a CRF cat and fortekor was prescribed and unfortunately did nothing what so ever (apart from stress her out having to have tabs)....I agree that what works for one may/wont work for another!  :(

Very best of luck to Rosie that she continues to eat and get more fluids down her....I always consult with the vet if they think I am being fair or not, luckily I have trust in my vets and I go with their judgement.  :) I know you have been in close contact with the vet so you have good guidance for her well being!  ;)

Fingers crossed for her and hugs to you!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #345 on: June 26, 2008, 09:10:20 AM »
Come on little one  :Luv:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #344 on: June 26, 2008, 08:59:04 AM »
I am glad she has eaten well Des.  Also had a drink, let's hope she drinks more today and continues to do so.  Come on little Rosie we are all behind you here

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #343 on: June 26, 2008, 08:41:03 AM »
Sorry Desley I was staying out of it. I have met Rosie and thought she was a happy friendly little cat but as I have no knowledge of the conditions she has I cant give any advice. All I will say is that all anyone can do is go with their instinct and advice from the vet who has seen her. If the vet has a reason for not giving a medication I have to trust that vet is right and that the medication may do more harm than good. Rosie hasnt been with you long and it took Mogs a year or so before she trusted me enough to realise that when I gave her tablets it made her feel better and wasnt just because I enjoy sticking things in her mouth.
I hope whatever today brings is the right thing for you all  :hug:
love
Tab

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #342 on: June 26, 2008, 07:45:47 AM »
I have done that in the past MM. Something has worked, she has eaten a decent amount of food overnight (caught her pinching my cats dry food cos she had eaten all her wet), but has only just started drinking water, and I am not sure it is enough to offset the dry she had last night as well as the dehydration, but will see what else she drinks before I leave before deciding whether to book her in tonight or not. She even spent some time on my bed last night, which she has never done before at night.
Please spay your cat

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #341 on: June 26, 2008, 06:40:37 AM »
Hope things are better for little Rosie today Des.  Perhaps you could try asking the vet what she would do if it was her cat?  That's what I always try to do.  Whatever the outcome you have done your very best for Rosie and have given her love and some fun in her life.  Fingers crossed she can have more time in the sunshine.   :hug: for you and  :hug: for Rosie

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #340 on: June 25, 2008, 22:51:37 PM »
Tend to agree - every cat is different. What works wonders for some cats just makes others miserable.

Hope things improve for Rosie and you, Desley. :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #339 on: June 25, 2008, 21:53:07 PM »
i am deliberately not posting my vets reasons Dawn, as it will only cause a debate that I dont need. One thing I do want to say in response to some of today's posts is a reminder that Rosie has only been here 3 months (think it was the 20th March when she came), her owners told me she was perfectly healthy, and yet it was obvious to me from Day 2 that there wasn't something right due to the amount of water she was drinking, but she was too bloated from diarrhea and worms for the vet to pick it up, her owners had also dismissed her legs as just something she only did when she woke up, so I am trying to do my best in picking up someone else's pieces and treat a cat that barely knows me, and I dont know that well, and I have never known her as a healthy cat. I sometimes regret posting about Rosie, as I have had so much grief on this thread for not wanting to take people's advice, when none of you know her (well, 2 members on here have met her, dont think etiher have posted though), and advice is simply that, something for me to read, digest and decide IF it will work for HER, as not everything works for every single cat.
I have spoken to the vet yet again today (that makes every day this week so far, and she is the only one to have seen her and know the full extent of her test results, as I have never posted those either, so the best person for advice), who has said that the meds should make a difference by tomorrow, and if htey dont, she wants to see her again. I have decided that if she is still not drinking by herself tomorrow, and her eating habits haven't improved, then tomorrow will be her final visit, she will have had ab's for the best part of a week then (apart from the one I found spat out, and the day she was sick), and if she still has an infection, I am not being fair to her, as we dont know where this infection is to try and do anything else to treat it. I hope that there is a difference, so we can have some more time, I didn't want to have to go through this again so soon. 
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #338 on: June 25, 2008, 17:50:52 PM »
DD, the vet wont prescribe Fortekor, so it is irrelevant how well it works on other people's cats

What was the reason for him not prescribing it to her?  I've not noticed it on the thread so sorry if you've already posted why  :-:

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #337 on: June 25, 2008, 16:08:47 PM »
Another good pill suggestion I discovered recently was either the defurrum treats, or the similar fresh breath ones, if you break them in half then pop the pill (if its small) between the pieces, its quite a good disguise.  Max is a real pain with tables, and this, alongside wrapping in a small piece of cheese, are the only things which work.

Good luck  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #336 on: June 25, 2008, 16:05:01 PM »
I think most of the advice has centred round Fortekor which Des say the vet wont prescribe so it is irrelevant.  Perhaps you could try the various methods of getting pills in her suggested Des cos just one of them might work.  With my dog Dairylea spread cheese always worked and failing that Philadelphia was good. If it is the arthritis causing her pain doesn't heat help?  Maybe a snugglesafe or hot water bottle? You will do what is best for little Rosie I have no doubt about it and my heart goes out to you at this awful time  :hug:
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 16:08:19 PM by Maddiesmum »

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #335 on: June 25, 2008, 13:29:17 PM »
I just feel there are people on here with a hell of lot of experience who have all offered advice, and none of it seems to be taken on board  :tired:  I haven't got a clue when it comes to CRF and I wouldn't like to be in your position, I know if any of my ferals came down with it, the kindest thing would be to pts because I just couldn't treat them  :'(  With the toxins build up due to her kidneys, she must be feeling absolute  :censored: and apparently they're meant to feel like they've got a constant hangover, if you can get on top of this and make her feel better in that respect, you will be half way there.  Good luck anyway  :hug:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #334 on: June 25, 2008, 13:17:27 PM »
Des have you tried cream cheese and crush the tablet and mix up - works on 2 of our ferals for worming - they sussed the meat wrapped ones although the others eat that - both are strong willed girls - a tabby and a ginger!

Des I would be asking the vet for the 2 week injection at this stage to lessen you having to tablet or ask for the vet for injectable antibiotics - that way she can associate the injection with a treat rather than I fight to get the pill in her mouth twice a day

Injections aren't scarey to give and the vets will usually to show you  and let you practice with a distilled water syringe

Our vets load up the needles for us should we need this and we store them in the fridge!

Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #333 on: June 25, 2008, 08:17:38 AM »
DD, the vet wont prescribe Fortekor, so it is irrelevant how well it works on other people's cats - and it does also have side effects, MM lost one of hers to Fortekor. She has had both the appetite stimulant and ab's this morning, as well as more a/d.
We can't treat her arthritis with anything more than supplements, as the vet is reluctant to give either steroids or Metacam, as both can make her kidney failure worse, so the only option is supplements, but as her shoulder developed while on them, I have no faith in them.
I am suspecting her teeth, as she is now refusing to eat her treats, so will tell the vet when I give her the update she wanted. I dont know if these ab's will help that, as they are ones I have never used.
Incidentally, i did try and hide Sundays ab in a treat, she ate round it and spat it out, and that isn't the only one I have found spat out.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #332 on: June 25, 2008, 08:13:46 AM »
I agree with that. 18 months ago, I thought we were going to lose Clapton. I took advantage of the steroid jab he was given as an appetite stimulant. I agree it is difficult to medicate at times but the pill hidden in a piece of chicken skin usually does the trick. Clapton went from a poorly cat that only wanted to curl up and avoid life to the cat that was chasing a paper ball round the garden at 6.30 this morning. One of the problems with CRF is the toxins build up so they feel nauseous all the time. It opens up the arteries around the kidneys allowing the body to eliminate the toxins. Now, unless I told people, they would never believe that Clapton is ill. I know Rosie has other complications but with a healthy appetite, it's a lot easier to hide meds in food. I know some people on here even give Seraquin as a treat as their cats love it so much.

I understand how wearing it is with a cat that won't eat and is constantly sick but it has to be worth a try.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #331 on: June 24, 2008, 23:13:32 PM »
Thanks - her kidneys are worse, but not dramatically, it is her globulin that is worrying, as that is higher, and is indicative of some kind of infection going on, or it could be that her arthritis is worsening, and that is a contributing factor. Vet has given me some different antibiotics and an appetite stimulant, and I have managed to get a decent amount of food into her tonight, so not used the appetite stimulant yet. 

I know you said Rosie is crap for medicating but Mark has mentioned numerous times about Clapton not eating until he went on the Fortekor, I would definitely give it a go and if so, persevere with it and I'm sure you will see a big difference in Rosie.  As regards to the appetite stimulant, I know you've got her to eat tonight but I would get her started on this asap before she goes downhill any more.  It's much easier to encourage them eating when they are feeling well enough in themselves, if they go beyond this, it's a  :censored: nightmare regardless of a stimulant.

Modified to add You said all her 3 conditions are untreatable but with medication they are all controllable and I hope for her sake, you manage to sort something out for her so she can have some quality of life.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 23:21:25 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #330 on: June 24, 2008, 22:00:26 PM »
Desley, I think I've said it before on this thread. You'll do what you think is right for Rosie to ensure she has a good quality of life.

:hug: Sending you a hug, because it's such a difficult time for you.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #329 on: June 24, 2008, 21:44:27 PM »
Thanks - her kidneys are worse, but not dramatically, it is her globulin that is worrying, as that is higher, and is indicative of some kind of infection going on, or it could be that her arthritis is worsening, and that is a contributing factor. Vet has given me some different antibiotics and an appetite stimulant, and I have managed to get a decent amount of food into her tonight, so not used the appetite stimulant yet. She still isn't drinking water by herself, only what I am adding to her food, which isn't good, and it is very out of charcter for her, she has always been a good drinker - it isn't stopping her weeing though, although she hasnt pooed since yesterday. I still think we are coming to the end, unless these meds magically work - we have a 6 day course.
Please spay your cat

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #328 on: June 24, 2008, 10:31:13 AM »
Dont really have much to say here med/food wise.......like I said before not being sick is good but if she is not eating well then it isnt weighing itself out evenly!  :(

Best of wishes for her results.....atleast with the bloods back you will have more of an idea what is going on! Good Luck!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #327 on: June 24, 2008, 07:57:04 AM »
It isn't soemthing I have in Dawn, going to have to wait and see what the results say. Her belly didn't feel any better last night after the ab's, so it depends if that is caused by her kidneys or if her liver has started to have issues.
Please spay your cat

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #326 on: June 24, 2008, 06:36:04 AM »
Poor little Rosie, I hope the news is better than you are expecting Des

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #325 on: June 24, 2008, 00:54:27 AM »
Des, I hope everything goes okay for her tomorrow  :hug:  With regards to cat milk, how about trying her with Cimicat or Lactol?  This may be good for getting her strength up and may also be okay on her tummy  ;)

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #324 on: June 23, 2008, 23:58:13 PM »
Sorry things aren't looking well for Rosie. 
 :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #323 on: June 23, 2008, 21:32:16 PM »
She had cat milk when she first came, as her owner told me she was fine with milk - she had diarrhea. I had debated it again tonight, but diarrhea could be the worst thing for her. I dont have Liquivite in, as I haven't had a cat that liked it yet. I have bought some sliced chicken just for her, she wasnt that keen on it, she started licking Mose's leftover Biopate with water, but didn't take much of that either.
Please spay your cat

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #322 on: June 23, 2008, 21:24:00 PM »
Des have you tried warmed Liquivite or failing that cat milk - both are helping Gracie with the fluids and neither can really do much harm

Also another staple for us is liquidised kitten food with added Evapourated milk - Gracie loves this

Just a thought and at this stage anything that gets them to eat or drink is a bonus - Gracie is currently having her secret bowl of cat milk with me in the study she is on a bottle a day for herself!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #321 on: June 23, 2008, 21:19:04 PM »
I got home to take her to the vets, and had a quick scan of the food bowls, she had barely touched the wet food, eaten some of the dry but not touched the water bowl, and it was quite warm in the bathroom. Vet confirmed that she was dehydrated, and did the blood test - her blood was quite thick, so she is suspecting that her kidneys are worsening. REsults should be back around lunch time tomorrow, although they may do them earlier for me, Zi's were back at 11ish. I am really dreading them. She isn't eating much still, and I am running out of ideas to give her, but I have syringed some water into her, and she has been taken outside tonight.
Please spay your cat

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #320 on: June 23, 2008, 19:13:22 PM »
I'm so sorry things are so tough with Rosie. Sending lots of hugs  :hug:.

Link to CatChat