Author Topic: Catnip - an acceptable drug?  (Read 1799 times)

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
Re: Catnip - an acceptable drug?
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 17:47:58 PM »
I suppose the key difference is that cats don't actually respond to ingestion or imbibing of catnip - the smell is the stimulant, and other plants like honeysuckle and valerian have similar effects. I suppose it's more comparable to aromatherapy than drug use - lavender is known to have a soothing effect on humans, while citrus smells are reviving and stimulating, as is ginger. We can of course eat some of these plants, but they are not drugs in terms of their aroma or digestion, they are simply substances that produce a (non-narcotic, non-psychoactive) emotional or behavioural response, though that response varies with each individual.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 17:40:58 PM »
That's a really interesting link, thanks for that!

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 17:31:48 PM »
It isnt a drug in that sense.  People talk about cats being "stoned" but this is just a figure of speech - check out http://www.myhealthycat.com/catnip-addiction.html
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 17:31:25 PM »
Why is it different?  Why is that acceptable but other forms of drug abuse not?

Not addictive I guess  :evillaugh:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 17:01:44 PM »
my view is that if the activity is not causing harm to your pet, and is apparently causing pleasure, then go for it (but then I apply the same logic to recreational drugs). If there was proof that catnip use caused long-term emotional or physical damage then I would worry. Otherwise - let em enjoy themselves ...

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
Catnip - an acceptable drug?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 16:59:41 PM »
I'm obviously having a philosophical afternoon  :evillaugh:

I just wondered what people's views are on catnip.  It just strikes me as odd that we all jump up and down about cats in houses with drug users and them potentially becoming addicted to those drugs, yet we talk quite openly and with amusement about cats being 'stoned' on catnip.  Why is it different?  Why is that acceptable but other forms of drug abuse not? (apart from the obvious legal connurtations of that use).  Should I find it amusing that my cat is clearly affected by catnip or as a responsible owner should I ensure that this doesn't happen?

I'm pondering out loud...but just wondered what you think? 

Link to CatChat