Author Topic: Helping homeless cats as a volunteer... first time!  (Read 1565 times)

Offline Lily-

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Joy & Oliver Twist
Re: Helping homeless cats as a volunteer... first time!
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 07:26:15 AM »
Thanks Mervyn!!
I'll look for some similar product here (I am from Italy and I never saw that brand here, but I should find something similar I hope :) ).
Yeah I'm quite sure my two boys will do the same ;) but a little chicken snack can easily change their minds ahah :D

I miss you babe ♥

Offline mervyn7451

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy Fuzzlebug.
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 22:29:07 PM »
Good luck! You'll enjoy it,I do as I volunteer at ASSISI Animal Sanctuary & look after the ferals.I change my clothes when I get home & have a wash.Be warned tho,your cats will not be too happy & will ignore you for the first couple times.Daisy did with me!

You could always carry some Safe4 with you,it's what ASSISI use.

http://www.safe4disinfectant.com/safe4cats.php

center]Please join the Purrs save a life draw - £2 a month is all it takes!
Help the rescues to help the cats in their care plus the chance to win £££  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,38217.0.html
[/center]
[img

Offline Lily-

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 21:13:16 PM »
Thanks everybody  :shy:
I really can't wait to start!!! I just hope I'll be able to do it every week... it is the only shelter near where I live but to get there I have a 1 hour long trip by train, and when lessons will start again at university it won't be easy to do all but well, let's try :D

I miss you babe ♥

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 21:10:33 PM »
No question is evcer stupid here on Purrs  :hug:

If in doubt just ask - you might get 10 different answers but that's ok cos whatever we say to you it's your decision in the end. 

No one person on here is always right but it's so good to get other people's opinions so please don't be shy.

Congratulations and well done you.  Keep us updated on how you're enjoying it.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 14:40:21 PM »
Good on you for volunteering  :) The separate clothes thing is a good idea, also means that your cats won't ever smell the other cats which might unsettle them.

Offline Lily-

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 10:56:56 AM »
Thanks, it's a good idea! The only thing I could think about was "choosing" some clothes and shoes to use only there and keeping them in the garage, so that I can change them there and my cats wouldnt get in touch with them, but I'm afraid to be a bit paranoid :)

I miss you babe ♥

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 10:53:56 AM »
I ususally change clothes  when I get back, I also wash hands and spray the soles of my shoes before I leave the shelter but I'm probably a bit paranoid!

Offline Lily-

• Adult Cat
Helping homeless cats as a volunteer... first time!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 10:48:05 AM »
Hi everybody :) First of all, I hope I chose the right section  :shy:
This saturday I will probably start goin to help a group of volunteers who take care of about 150 cats. But as it's the first time I do this, I'd like to ask to people who already had this kind of experience a couple of advices :)
I have 2 cats, both about 1.5 years old, neutered. Is there anything in particular I should do to "protect" them from viruses and diseases I could get in touch with taking care of the cats in that "shelter"?
It is probably a bit stupid question ahah :)

I miss you babe ♥

Link to CatChat