Author Topic: Re-homing an ex-breeding queen - how long will it take for her to settle in?  (Read 4458 times)

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
Gillian your cats are amazing :Luv2: its very true that some of those cats wouldnt have had the chance of such a fab home if it wasnt for you. 30 persians :Crazy: wow..thats a lot of fluffy cuddles :Luv:
They are hard work..grooming 30 would be mind bendingly difficult :Crazy: I have enough with Pacey, get him in the bath, wash him as quick as i can before he manages to jump out and drench me water then coax him to get brushed and dried :rofl:, I think i will settle for just my 3 cats now. oh thinks im mad already :evillaugh:

Persians are loving cats though arent they :shy:...Ive never met a cat like pacey before, he wants attention 24/7 (can be a bit cloying at times :shify:), he has settled in better now though and actually started playing games :wow:

anycat will take time settling in a house so it is a matter of just waiting. i love Sheilas bribes...sounds like my oh. he cooks them dinners!

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
I don't like the fact that some do pass them on, its not something I could ever do - BUT, I wouldnt have had a lot of my lovely girls if it wasnt for the fact that they've been passed on. The breeder I got my first ever persian kitten from (Joe) didnt pass any of her girls on - once they'd had a few litters, they were neutered and lived as much loved pets with her for the rest of their lives (might be why she had 30 cats at one point!  ;) ) - which were always absolutely immaculate, imagine grooming all that lot!

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
You are probably more of an expert gillan on persian beautys :shy: I only know from what i have seen advertised on dreaded sites (seen the cats in cages in background :censored:) ,
 Im not really for breeding and passing on cats when they have served their purpose, to me a cat once its in my house is now family. god are my family planning on getting shot of me now Ive had 5 children and served my duty :Crazy:
Im not saying all breeders are abusive etc and i know its a double edged sword as we need reponsible breeders if pedigree lines are going to continue but I dont agree with passing on the queens after. It just seems wrong :(

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Its still early days, I'm sure she will interact more once she's got used to the routines in her new environment. Try not to make too much fuss of her, but just go about your normal routine and let her approach you.  :)

a breeding queen sadly off a breeder may have just been kept crated or something and not handled. its evil to say the least. sadly they use them as a prduct, breed from them and pass them on...

It isnt usual for breeding girls to be crated, only bsb would do this  :( All the breeders I know have their breeding girls very much part of the family, until they give birth, then they reside in the breeder's bedroom!  ;)

I've had several ex breeding girls (persians), they have all settled in well after a short while. My 2 yr old ex breeding (only bred once) black persian, Ebony, settled in straight away.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
She's still a cat's cat. She won't respond to you until she trusts you, and that might only come with tiem and patience.

I find food is the key to most cats hearts. My latest acquisition is a sucker for cheap roast chicken (tesco value chunky chicken  or sainsburys sliced chicken are favourite) and a few tastes of this will get her interest. Use a bit of chicken each time you arrive home and very quickly you'll find she's waiting by the door when you come in. After that it's just progressing day by day and week by week.

I agree she's likely to be happier in the short - mid term as an indoor cat. She has no road sense, no idea of dogs, foxes, children etc. any of whom might spook her and send her running in the wrong direction. Once she's grown to love you, a few months from now, get her a harness and lead then take her for short walks in the neighbourhood, see how she reacts to cars and other people, dogs etc. then make the decision if she's likely to be safe.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
10 days is not long in the life of a cat and human.

You need to be very patient and let Blossom come to you, she probably has never had any toys, just her kittens.

Has she been neutered, if not this needs to happen very quickly.

KMs advice very good and I would allow her loads of space with places to hide like boxes. She probably isnt even used to having a whole house to herself and would definately keep her in for a while.

I have a semi feral who has taken 7 yrs to allow strokes and live in hope that one day she will come and cuddle me.

• Hero Cat
best thing i can advise is ignore her..cats dont like fuss on human terms, they like it when they are ready :shy:

as to letting her out, is your garden safe and secure to keep her in? i wouldnt really reccomend letting her out tbh, shes not used to it so could face lots of dangers. she would probably just feel as happy wandering around your home.

I have 3 cats, two that go out and one that stays in, as hes a persian and very friendly i think he would be a target for thieves and i just dont want to risk that at all.

a breeding queen sadly off a breeder may have just been kept crated or something and not handled. its evil to say the least. sadly they use them as a prduct, breed from them and pass them on...it will take a lot of patience and a lot of love on your behalf...she will learn to trust but it will take time. poor girl, my moms just got an ex breeding dog from rescue , poor girl didnt know how to go for a walk..doubt she knows shes a dog tbh :(

good luck and keep us posted as it will be wonderfull to see how Blossom progresses x

Offline kcdurr123

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Blossom
Hib
I've just rehomed a beautiful little girl called Blossom a british shorthair.  She is 5 yrs old and very shy.  I can not pick her up at all, I didnt even think about queens not being handled, but I guess if they are pregnant or with kittens they probably wouldn't be.  I very much want a cuddle cat that sits on my sofa with me. I love cats but Im not experienced in trying to work out what to do. 

She does come over to me, and lets me stroke her a few times, lots of purs, then I get swiped, and gently bitten, its not a problem, I guess she is just not used to getting attention. I'm a slave to her every whim, which is fine, but I could do with a few tips.

I have only had her 10 days, I dont plan to let her out for a few more weeks yet, and she is def not streetwise. She had 5 mins outdoors, when she saw the other male cat, she ran up to him lovingly, he gently hissed, so at least there was no fight! But I dont think she is wise enough yet - how long should i leave it? I feel so mean, after 5 yrs, surely she deserves some freedom?

Now she is sitting indoors doing nothing, looking really bored, i feel awful. I try and play with her, but shes a bit frightened of toys.

do i just leave her be, ignore her for a while until she feels like this is her home. she just looks so sad and lonely.

Link to CatChat