Author Topic: Advice on introducing a new cat  (Read 1195 times)

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
Re: Advice on introducing a new cat
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 21:38:53 PM »
 Thanks Gill. That all sounds very sensible. I've not had to do this before so have no idea. I'm thinking making sure litter trays and food are in a different place from the girls. Last thing I want is for my two rescue babies to feel hard done by so I'm also thinking of allocating Fluffy a room where they aren't allowed (bathroom where we were an inch away from a flood in week three as they managed to flip the taps on comes to mind).
Sunday is D Day I think.
Thanks on the MIL front. She is a sweet if formidable lady so we're hoping strength of will can pull her through.  :thanks:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Advice on introducing a new cat
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 17:33:45 PM »
Very hard to say how it will work the kittens may like her straight away but she may not like them being all kittenlike.

First keep her in her carrier and let them sniff around and see how she reacts, if you have a cage even better.

If there is no adverse reaqction from anyone, I would let her out to wander the house, make sure she has some of her own things with her and her bed if she has one and see if that works. Make sure she has hiding pplaces like cardboard boxes.

If she is unhappy you will have to do proper introductions and keep her seperated from the kittens and gradually swap scents and rooms.

A feliway plug in may help.

Good luck and hope you MIL gets well soon  :hug: :hug:

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
Advice on introducing a new cat
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 15:15:53 PM »
I know this is the best place to come for help so please can you give me some advice on how to deal with this one so that my kittens cope!
Situation is that I have two nine month kittens which came from a rescue centre three months ago, one of them (Luna) is nosy, confident and cheeky but jealous of attention Cleo her sister gets and Cleo is still timid. So add into this the fact that my mother-in-law has been in and out of hospital over the last two weeks and now has been in since Monday again and won't be going straight home this time but via a convalescent home.
We live too far away to keep popping in or imposing on some wonderful neighbours so we're going to bring her cat to stay who is eight.
It's hopefully only going to be temporary but can anyone tell me the best way to deal with all this without upsetting my girls please???

Many many thanks

Link to CatChat