Author Topic: To get a kitten or not to get a kitten, that is the question!  (Read 3589 times)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re: To get a kitten or not to get a kitten, that is the question!
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2012, 05:16:27 AM »
Do you think you might be kitty broody because you're pregnant? Maybe your broody hormones are becoming a bit confused and have honed into a kitty.

It's a good time to focus on nesting, which I'm sure you are, but bear in mind that your broodiness may just be a longing for the unborn child.

My advice would be to wait until after your child is born. You might find all desire for a kitten disappearing amongst the tremendous love you'll feel for your baby, as well as your baby's all-consuming demands.

Babies grow up. Perhaps when your child starts nursery school might be a good time to re-think whether a kitten is a good idea at that point.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2012, 19:27:49 PM »
ooh sorry - i tend to agree with everyone  :shy: :shy:
On the more positive side and if you're really keen, why not bring the kitten home (for the day) at about 6-7weeks and see what reaction you get from Mollie. You can then decide whether its going to be smooth or stressful.

I only know second hand how tiring babies can be - I do know my smelly little kittie is as tiring as I want to get lol  :evillaugh:
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 17:10:18 PM »
I have to agree, a kitten and a baby would be a nightmare together. Plus if convincing your OH is a factor, remember He's the one who would be cleaning out the cat litter, taking her to the vets, etc.

If you're kitty broody, an older cat would be better suited and you certainly have time to install, say, a pensioner pusslady? No fuss, no litter training, no torn curtains or shredded arms?

I wish I'd got Polly years ago, but as a 12 year old she slotted right in and is my little night time friend when everyone else has gone out, she's happy to sit and play or just cuddle up, perfect.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 12:30:45 PM »

Thinking of most new Mums I know, they're usually so knackered themselves that when (if) their baby sleeps, they're away themselves within minutes  :evillaugh:

It must be so tempting, but then again the number of ads you see for cats and dogs up for re-homing because "new baby means we just don't have the time any more....." is very sad.

I personally wouldn't take the gamble until you know how you're going to manage full time with your baby when it comes.  :hug:

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 00:15:00 AM »
If it was me, I would say yes! Plenty of playtime for kitty when baby is asleep :naughty: and introducing a kitten to Mollie is better than introducing an older cat , she prob wont feel threatened by a small squeaky furball ;D

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 16:06:27 PM »
It is a very difficult decision and as you are someone hormone driven in the best possible way I think making sure you and baby and Molly and your OH bond as a family unit is vital and then perhaps when your baby is a bit older then think about a kitten or 2 for them to grow up with

The time has flown so far and once your new human addition is here and you have all settled in see how it goes :hug:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 15:42:12 PM »
Sorry we didnt answer as you really wanted but suspect you knew the answer  :hug: :hug: :hug:

I dont know about babies but kittens take up all of your time and demand attention and suspect that is the same for babies, but loads of time later  ;D

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 15:14:45 PM »
oh Lindsey when the baby is a bit older and you have a routine you can always reconsider, there will always be kittens needing a place to live

Offline Rebecca

• Adult Cat
    • R M Portraits
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 15:13:03 PM »
I think the fact you have asked the question shows you already know the sensible answer is "No". You have listed many cons and no pros. But oh my...he/she is beautiful. I daren't go near cats and dogs in need of a home as I wouldn't be able to say no.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated" Mohandas Gandhi

http://rmportraits.co.uk/

Offline Lindsey (thefunkyinuit)

• Senior Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 15:04:18 PM »
Thanks for the honest opinions, not what I wanted to hear, but probably what I needed to! (doesn't make it any easier as I still cried my eyes out about it last night!)

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 10:19:37 AM »
I think you will have enough on your plate getting ready for the arrival of the baby without the added stress and work of having a new kitten even if the introductions to Mollie went well and after the arrival doubt you would have the spare time or energy to devote to the needs of the kitten  :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 00:35:37 AM »
Now don't get me wrong, that little baby is ADORABLE but I really don't think now is the right time to introduce a new kitten - for either Mollie or for you  :shy: It's going to be a really stressful time for her (and for you!) adjusting to your human bundle of joy and bringing in a new feline family member will only add to that. If you asked to take the kitten on a trial basis when it's old enough then (if things didn't work out) it may be much harder to rehome him/her as people are so fickle they only want baby kittens - even twelve weeks is considered past it judging by the number of older kittens that are still waiting for homes in rescue.

I think you should enjoy your baby when he/she comes and if, when the baby is a bit older and you have all settled in to place, you still want to add to your feline family you can do so then  :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 22:10:11 PM »
........... Saying that is it fair to introduce a kitten only a month before there will be a small screaming human taking up all of mummy's attention?  :innocent:
............ I'm hormonal & blinded by love & cuteness! 

Perhaps you need to put yourself in Mollie's shoes?  I think maybe introducing a baby and a kitten is ............ well............  :shy:  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Lovely little tabby baby  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: and I do see how incredibly tempting this is  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 22:05:09 PM »
This is really hard but I think no cos too much to take on at once

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie, Poppy, Wordy and Ollie. RIP Bridge Baby Harry. x
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 21:40:44 PM »
Wow you pregnancy has gone quickly.

It seems to me that your head is saying nononono but your heart is saying yes.

Personally I think its a lot to take on, but I have never been in that situation.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Nicky

Offline Lindsey (thefunkyinuit)

• Senior Cat
To get a kitten or not to get a kitten, that is the question!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 21:20:05 PM »
Hi everyone,

I need some serious advice & honest opinions here please! Basically my friend's naughty girl cat escaped before her trip to the vets to get spayed & unfortunately got caught by a local boy :tired: I'm not dwelling on the fact that she probably should have been spayed earlier e.t.c, I know alot of you have strong opinions on this (as do I) but her kittens are here now and that is that.

Anyway, Honey had 4 kittens & I have fallen head over heels in love with one (It was only a day old & I don't even know if its a boy or a girl but I just felt and instant rush of love when I saw it!)

The pros for having this kitten are obvious but there are quite a few cons as follows -

1. I am 7 months pregnant - By the time the kitten is ready, I will have 1 month before I'm due (unless baby decides to come early) which, as I will be on mat leave then would be enough time for kitty to settle in, but is having a kitten & a new baby at the same time going to be too much for me?! (First baby, first kitten as an adult in my own home)

2. As I will only be on mat pay, another kitty will be another mouth to feed/vets bills/insurance e.t.c, so prob not the best idea from a financial point of view.

3. How will Mollie feel? She has become a more laid back & sociable cat since the loss of my darling Lacie in January & is scared of my rabbit. I wouldn't want to upset her which is why we didn't get another cat to fill the void Lacie's passing caused (I always said I would have rescue cats between 1-3 years old) BUT I was thinking that as Lacie was already the established cat of the household & twice as big as Mollie & liked to show her authority, that was the reason she was frightened & kept out of the way (Mollie was very fussy upstairs but wouldn't really stay downstairs where Lacie lived) & that she may be ok with a tiny kitten. Saying that is it fair to introduce a kitten only a month before there will be a small screaming human taking up all of mummy's attention?  :innocent:

I could ask my friend if she would let me take the kitten on a trial basis with the option to return it if it didn't work out for any reason.
I would also have to convince my hubby that its a good idea....

I'm so torn as I really would like the kitten but the timing is awful!  :(

Please help me make my decision, I'm hormonal & blinded by love & cuteness!

Thanks! x
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 21:23:02 PM by Lindsey (thefunkyinuit) »

Link to CatChat