Author Topic: Boarding kennels needed - tell me it'll be ok!  (Read 3290 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Boarding kennels needed - tell me it'll be ok!
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2012, 14:36:29 PM »
Just one thing to add on the petsitter front, if you do go down that route I wouldn't let her out (the cat that is, not the petsitter!) as she may get the hump at you leaving her and wander off, just not worth the risk. If she was in a cattery she wouldn't be allowed out either so no difference there, except that she has the whole of her familiar house to hang around in if she stays at home with a catsitter.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2012, 13:31:46 PM »
wow this is a small world an d its sounding good  ;D

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2012, 12:53:05 PM »
Gosh, this is a small furry world, isn't it  :)

My 16 year old girl cat sleeps most of the day but she does get stressed in the cat box and at the vet, so I know she would hate a cattery. However, my sitter always makes sure she sees every cat every time and if they don't appear, she logs who is absent on her daily diary.

Also, because she's so good, I've recommended her to my neighbours (we're all big cat fans here) so she's at risk of being found out if she skips a visit or cuts down her visit times. Her reputation means everything to her, so I know she's as good as her word, and yes, we get a daily digest left for us when we get home so we know what's been happening.

She also offers a daily text, so if you are a worrier, this might be something you can request too?

Offline mervyn7451

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy Fuzzlebug.
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2012, 12:28:37 PM »
Hi Mervyn the lady's name is Diane vol Sundays.  Happypetz Ballymoney Road is the cat hotel! we have looking at as it's closest to us..thanks for replying... such a big decision huh but she is precious to us and any distress to her causes me distress too :(

Hi,I'm in this Sunday so if it's the lady I'm thinking of,she's OK.I'll let you know Sunday afternoon.
center]Please join the Purrs save a life draw - £2 a month is all it takes!
Help the rescues to help the cats in their care plus the chance to win £££  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,38217.0.html
[/center]
[img

Offline jogym

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Tipsy, Sam 1996-2012 RIP
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2012, 12:10:12 PM »
Hi Mervyn the lady's name is Diane vol Sundays.  Happypetz Ballymoney Road is the cat hotel! we have looking at as it's closest to us..thanks for replying... such a big decision huh but she is precious to us and any distress to her causes me distress too :(

Offline mervyn7451

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy Fuzzlebug.
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2012, 12:02:48 PM »
Aye,I  know most of the regular volunteers there at ASSISI &,even if I don't know her,I'll be more than happy to ask some of the girls there for there input.
Failing the petsitter,you could try Windmill cat hotel outside Millisle,I can highly reccomend it as I've used it quite a few times,each cat has it's own room with a seperate,screened bedroom.Each room is heated & screened from next door.It's a little more expensive than other catteries but you get what you pay for.

http://www.windmillcathotel.co.uk/

center]Please join the Purrs save a life draw - £2 a month is all it takes!
Help the rescues to help the cats in their care plus the chance to win £££  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,38217.0.html
[/center]
[img

Offline jogym

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2012, 11:24:57 AM »
I am doing this on my phone as comp being fixed have brought up his name on Facebook but can't get the message button up - will keep trying .  Think that sounds a good idea

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2012, 11:04:49 AM »
If she volunteers for Assisi you can check out her credentials with Merv, another Purrs member who will likely know her. He often posts on Purrs Facebook page so you can find him on there.

I always use a catsitter, she's now a very good friend and I'm happy to give her references as she looks after us, or cats and the house perfectly. She charges by the day, so she comes morning and evening, which costs us £23 but that covers 8 cats and at least an hour at each visit, much better value than the cattery option and our cats hardly notice we've gone  :shify: :rofl:

Ha! just saw Dawn's post - great minds!  :shy:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2012, 11:00:31 AM »
Mervyn on here goes to assisi as well, might know her

Offline jogym

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2012, 10:50:22 AM »
I am in Belfast.  Contacted a cat sitter through gumtree! Seemed nice enough but charges per half hour £4 so say she came in the evenings let the cat out but she stayed out for a bit and went over half an hour though I doubt it as she usually only goes out for 5/10 mins now.  I think the idea of her doing evenings  sounds ok because then at least my dad would stay for longer whereas if she done a whole week she would only see someone an hour a day.  She volunteers for Asissi also which is good.  Also the 'cat hotel' says we could try her for a night before we go to see how she does.  Gosh such a big dilemma!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2012, 08:35:45 AM »
what area are you in?  Gillian on here is a cat sitter herself.  my cat sitter leaves a sheet of paper saying what went on every day, who wanted a fuss, who was asleep etc she puts the bin out and washes up dishes etc - of course I can't say for sure she has been there everyday but I've never had reason to think she hasn't

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2012, 00:33:05 AM »
I would personally choose a cat sitter over a cattery if the option is available to you. My two got very stressed in a cattery and although they don't like being left home alone at least they are in their home environment with everything else being familiar for them.

I've had a professional pet sitter in the past and met her before hand, I felt very at ease with her and was confident that she would look after my elderly cat who needed tablets twice daily. She also looked after my two boys in more recent years although the last couple of years I've got family to pop in twice daily as it's free!

If your Dad is happy doing a week or even doing evenings with the catsitter doing mornings then that would be my choice if I had the option.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2012, 22:19:32 PM »
My inlaws cat Beethoven is 19 and goes to the cattery 6 times a year and he is treated like a Prince and loves to go to the kennels, only once had a scare as I am the contact person whilst they are away and I advised vet and do what is needed and worry about the bill when they come home, much to FIL shock thats what I do with ours

Beethoven also had both his thyroids removed at 17 and 18 and sailed through everything

I have a great kenneles for the dogs and a wonderful catsitter in Elaine
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 21:48:47 PM »
I actually prefer a cattery because I know that with a cat sitter Jaffa would  just hide under the bed and no-one would know whether he'd eaten, was ok etc. whereas at the cattery I know he's well looked after.

Anyone who uses pet sitting - how reliable are they I mean if they say they come 2ce a day how are you sure they are actually doing that?  Do you mind a stranger coming into your home and do they come and say stay for half an hour or just come and go?

A good cat sitter would make sure they knew the cat was ok, as a cat sitter myself, I wouldnt be happy unless I'd seen the cat/s, seen them eat etc. Its surprising how many cats I've looked after, who I've been told are wary of strangers and would usually hide etc - will be my best friends by the end of the cat sit  ;) I always take the time to come and meet the cats before a booking so that I can find out all about their personalities and know how best to look after them. I spend at least an hour at each visit (very often longer than that). The owners get a personalised report at the end of the cat sit, with photos  :)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 20:56:40 PM »
Wow that is very cheap

Offline jogym

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 20:54:05 PM »
I know I have enquirer a few that are ok with those dates one has heated accomm, tv, classical music lol think we will go and have a look - they also have a Facebook page and put up photo of your pet so u see all is ok sounds good £8 a day

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 20:34:40 PM »
Another point to ponder is the shortness of time before you go away as the best catteries will possibley be booked as its the main holiday season................this may also apply to cat sitters.

Sorry if we are making this hard for you  :hug: :hug:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 20:11:24 PM »
I've never used a pet sitter, but they should have references and anyone that you are thinking of using should come to your home to discuss it all and meet the cats so you'd be able to get a bit of a feel for whether you feel comfortable letting them in your home.  Whichever option you go for, I think the people involved are the most important factor.  When I chose the cattery that I use, it was talking to the staff that made my mind up that it was a good place (obv cleanliness etc was important too but I just felt instinctively that I could trust these people with my cats).  It would be great if your dad could do it after all, or at least for some of the time.  I would talk to him first and then take it from there.  If you need to use a cattery or a cat sitter, check out several and talk to them about your cat, her needs etc. and dont be afraid of voicing your concerns and asking them how they would address them.

Offline jogym

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 19:19:58 PM »
Thinking about cat sitting for maybe the week and my dad can do the other week.  Anyone who uses pet sitting - how reliable are they I mean if they say they come 2ce a day how are you sure they are actually doing that?  Do you mind a stranger coming into your home and do they come and say stay for half an hour or just come and go?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 18:27:56 PM »
I think you need to talk to your Dad very seriously and then decide whether you think he can do it.

If you think he can then go for it and ignore her grumpiness.

Yes the Olympics opens on 27 Jul and from then on untill 12 Aug it will be full blast on TV and if you have sky or sattelite there will be a new 24 channels each showing a different sport on the redbutton  ;D ;D

So if he is a fan then this sounds ideal and maybe he wouldnt get to watch that much at home  ;) ;)

Even if you dont have sky or satellite I suspect there will be a 3 channel feed on freeveiw.

Offline jogym

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 16:31:16 PM »
Crikey I don't know what to do for the best would never forgive myself if anything happened and am also a worrier so would probably worry the whole holiday - my dad said that's ok (but he would never say no even if he did mind) should I just ignore mother's grumpiness she's so negative ( that's another story!) he even said the Olympics will be on I can sit and watch it ... he probably likes the thoughts of getting out of the house - he usually comes up 10 ish and about 7ish so she will be indoors most of the day - she likes company and hates it the 2 full days when were at work. ...

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 16:12:05 PM »
The thing about catteries is there's no getting away from the fact that it's a new place and that's hard for cats, esp if they're not used to it.  But with good staff, it can be a safe environment where they will be kept an eye on all the time and the staff should be able to pick up on her temperament fairly quickly (plus from what you tell them) and give her what she needs.  Make sure she has lots of things with her that smell of you and of home, eg sleep in an old t shirt for a few nights beforehand then take that to the cattery so that she has something to curl up on that smells of you, and I've find feliway spray can be useful to spray around the kennel.  A good cattery will also feed them whatever they like and if she doesn't eat they will try to tempt her with things. 

I would suggest, if you haven't already, having a chat with the cattery owners/management to express your concerns about her and hopefully they'll be able to put your mind at ease.

I'll be honest - she probably won't like it and may go off her food a bit (I don't think many cats actually like going) but with the right staff it can be turned into an ok experience and she will be fine.  Will probably give you the cold shoulder when she returns though!

You could look into cat sitters locally if you haven't already, and see whether you think that might be a better option.  I have never used a cat sitter but many people on here prefer that option.  I actually prefer a cattery because I know that with a cat sitter Jaffa would  just hide under the bed and no-one would know whether he'd eaten, was ok etc. whereas at the cattery I know he's well looked after.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 16:10:35 PM »
I hope you have visitted the cattery and made sure everything is absolutely A1, I did and then it turned out to be rubbish and my tortie who was 7yrs at the time never spoke to be again.

After 7 years now she is finally allowing me to stroke her!

I am going away for 24 hrs  x3 during the Olympics and she will be on a timed feeder and shut indoors with the other two.

My nearly 19yr old will be staying at the vets.

I havent been away for more than 24 hrs since 1994 the year my first cat arrived in my garden.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 16:07:45 PM »
we have a pet sitter come in every day I've never used a cattery but as susanne says if it is your only option and you are happy with it when you have a look around I'm sure it will be fine

Offline jogym

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 16:00:52 PM »
Not really my dad has always done it for us all these years but my mother always objects - I know it's a lot to ask morning and night for two weeks - we went away two years ago for two weeks but I didn't worry as much because she had Sam to keep her company but now she's alone :(  my mother is dreadful she will complain about someone else having to do it but wouldn't dream of lending a hand - our neighbours are ok but we are just hi how are you not friendly enough for them to come into your home....
I am worried she would hate it, stop eating and think we'd abandoned her

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 15:46:09 PM »
She will miss you and be confused at first, but if it's a good place they will keep a good eye on her and tread as gently as need be to win her trust.  she will gradually get used to the same voices and smells each day and whilst it won't be like home, I'm sure she'll be ok.  I've not left a 16 year old in a cattery, but my Jaffa is quite a nervous cat and he never liked going to the cattery but the staff there have always been really good with him, understanding that he is a nervous cat who is a bit freaked out by being in a strange place.  They always treat him just right and by the time I go to collect him he's letting them stroke him and getting used to it.

Is there anyone else who could come in to look after her?  Cats do like to be on their own territory, but if the cattery is the only option I'm sure they will look after her well.

Offline jogym

• Adult Cat
Boarding kennels needed - tell me it'll be ok!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 15:27:57 PM »
We are thinking of putting our 16 year old tortie in kennels when we go on hold - 1st time in 16 years due to my mother saying 2 weeks is too much for my dad to do morning and night that he'll not be able to do every day and that it is our problem!! Even though she wouldn't help out herself ie mornings and never has done!! The thing is she is old now and I really don't know how shed cope away from home - afraid she might fret or the stress might kill her....can someone please tell me it will be ok - she is v precious to us - we lost her companion 5 months ago

Link to CatChat