Author Topic: Best kind of litter tray?  (Read 1975 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Best kind of litter tray?
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 13:28:49 PM »
have you got a picture so i can visualise it?

thanks

I do somewhere but I can't find it!  I have posted it on here in the past so will try to find the thread.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 08:02:22 AM »
The best kind is the kind they use. I have four trays around the house, one upstairs for night-time peepee, one by the front door where they tend to spray if no tray is provided, one by the back door for the girls to poo in and another in the front room where we've had numerous "accidents" in the pist.  :-[

The upstairs one is simply a small kitten sized pink tray with a newspaper folded in the bottom, as is the front door one, but the two main trays are large deep open trays with clip-on edges around the top which helps to rebound some of the chucked about litter back into the tray.

I still stand all my trays on newspaper as some of them are rubbish at aiming. Polly actually stands on the edges of the tray and pees over the side  :brick:

Our favourite litter is World's Best, expensive but it just seems logical to have organic litter for organic waste. I flush their poo down the loo but choose to bin the clumped pee, lest it block my plumbing   :shify:

I'm trialling a new one at the moment called Sanicat Professional Gold, the pees come out like concrete blocks and it sticks to the scoop, nor is it flushable and it tracks everywhere, so I won't be buying this one again.  :Nooooo:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 23:00:48 PM »
Keep it simple is my advice  :) Mine have always used plain and simple (large  :evillaugh: ) open trays in several different locations. I tried covered trays but they didnt like them even with flap removed, so I removed the lid and hey presto, and nice deep open tray lol!

Offline wobblewobble

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: tilly
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 23:11:52 PM »
have you got a picture so i can visualise it?

thanks

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 07:44:32 AM »
It depends on your cat's preference - you can choose what you think is best but if the furries don't agree it's no good!  For years I used a covered tray with flap and would have said that was the best, as long as you are aware that odours can build up inside so litter tray hygiene needs to be a priority.  Then Jaffa decided he didn't like that and it took some time before I worked out his ideal tray - a large storage box without the lid and with the sides cut down so that the back and part of the sides were high, sloping down to a lower front.  back and sides are now high enough for him to wee standing up, but the front is low enough for him to jump in easily.  The lack of a roof means he doesn't feel too enclosed which I think was a bit of a problem - I think he was worried that Mosi would pounce on him, esp as his hearing started to go so he couldn't hear Mosi approach.  he will now actually use the covered one without the flap in the front, but the storage tray one is the most popular with both of them.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 19:18:45 PM »
I have hooded trays, if your cat will use them then I would always go for a hooded one for the following reasons (a) cuts down on litter chucked out the tray when digging (b) cuts down on smells and (c) looks nicer  :naughty:

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 14:09:06 PM »
well we have had big ones, small ones, short ones, tall ones...ones with lids and ones without......but the cats still havent figured out how to keep the litter (or poop) in the tray :brick:

I have discovered that using wood pellets instead of litter is actually better..ie it stays in the tray and isnt as smelly...however only one of our cats likes it :shy:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 13:03:51 PM »
We have hooded, open, High sides and most of the ones on the market as we have found ours like different ones along with the 6 types of different litter on the go
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 12:33:29 PM »
We have one with a lid, it cuts down the amount of litter thrown around!
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline wobblewobble

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: tilly
Best kind of litter tray?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 12:01:26 PM »
In your experience - given there are so many different types of trays / boxes - what do you think is the best and why

thanks

Link to CatChat