Author Topic: Kittens won't wean :(  (Read 1662 times)

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
Re: Kittens won't wean :(
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 20:11:34 PM »
We usually mix kitten food well mashed with a little cat milk, 10 seconds in the microwave and volia kitten gloop, they will walk through it and wear it and it is messy but they grow to love it

If you can get your hands on some RC baby kitten biscuits for baby kittens then thay are good to very tiny and not a lot to crunch but gets them used to the idea

Also what are you feeding Mum, our Mums have always been fed kitten food as they need the calories so try doing some for Mum all mashed up and let the kittens loose usually they get the idea if they see Mum eating real food but most kittens will still like Mums milk bar till they are at least 8 weeks old, usually our Darling Harvey ends up with kittens sucklling on him he loves kittens
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 19:41:22 PM »
What are you giving them?

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 12:06:02 PM »
How old are they?

As catgirl says I got one of mine to eat by mashing the food up very finely and getting some on my finger and putting a little bit on her mouth. They then lick it off and find they like the taste. If you heat it up a bit or put some hot water on the food it makes it smell stronger as well.  Some were quicker than others, one was diving in trying to eat his Mum biscuits without any encouragement. So I had to get some kitten biscuits for him as I was scared he'd choke. 

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 12:04:28 PM »
How about sticking your fingers in it,then putting them in their mouths?bit messy i know but worth trying.

Offline Carlyp

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Mow Mow + 2
Kittens won't wean :(
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 11:09:39 AM »
I'm stuck on how to get them to start weaning, I put their food down, place them in front of it every time they just sniff it and walk off. I leave it out for them but they never go back to it!

Any tips?

x

Link to CatChat