Author Topic: Feeding my 8 month old  (Read 1905 times)

Offline bekki2308

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Nymera
Re: Feeding my 8 month old
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 10:05:57 AM »
hahah too true!

Shes on half whiskas pouch/half feline fayre pouch to keep it a bit more gentle on her tum. The feline fayre pilchard pouch is actually just pilchards in a bit of jelly rather than brown something in jelly :-)

The cat has dandruff, exactly like my own dandruff and its totally not uniform in shape or size it certainly does not walk so I am not concerned about having mites/flea eggs on her. I wonder if her previous diet of some biscuits and food (whatever she could get her hands on as there were about 10 cats in her old home) was leaving her with dry skin due to being dehydrated who knows. Either way she loves her pouches and they are not expensive so she can have them :-)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 15:17:22 PM »
I'm sure nobody would be it if we knew lol

Offline bekki2308

• Kitten
Re: Re: Feeding my 8 month old
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 15:07:40 PM »
I think when it says 4% it means the named variety there is a lot more than 4% in total

I agree but if it were proper meat they would advertise that so I just wonder what is actually in there!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 14:24:48 PM »
I feed mine porta 21 dry and wet and some lily's kitchen. I'm in the process of trying to get them onto another wet food as porta 21 is now classified as a complimentary food. Unfortunately it's the only wet food my boy will eat. I'm trying Almo Nature rouge and Thrive next although these will probably bankrupt me. I get my food from zooplus as they have more choice than the supermarkets.

Both of my cats really like Applaws dry and wet (complimentary) and James Wellbeloved. 

My last cat was fed food from the supermarket as I was unaware of the problems with many low quality cat foods, also it wasn't possible to buy food online easily. I'm someone who is very concerned about what I eat I try to eat organic food and as healthily as possible so I feel the same about my cats. I find the better quality food means dealing with their litter trays is much better, they also eat less. Cat food used to make me feel sick (I'm veggie) the good quality stuff is much more pleasant.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 14:05:57 PM »
I think when it says 4% it means the named variety there is a lot more than 4% in total

Offline bekki2308

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 14:02:55 PM »
I didn't choose the whiskas I adopted her a few days ago and she came with it.  So I am feeding her the rest of the 2kg bag and will start mixing in higher quality foods for her applaws and orija seem like good options and as pets at home do applaws its an easy thing to try and if she wont eat it then its a good treat for my rodents :-) cat/dog biscuits give them a protein boost and they help keep their teeth short.

I don't want to feed an entirely dry food diet which was what she was on with a few pouches a week so I need a wet food and bozita is affordable so ill try that with her and again if she wont eat it I can give small amounts to the rodents so it wouldn't all get wasted. The food I got from asda states a high meat content and does not contain meat derivatives its all meat so its a better quality food for that reason and at 34p a pouch if she has one per day that's easily affordable. Some brands only state minimum 4% meat so I question what's in those! I personally don't eat meat but my OH does and he only gets premium meat goods as he's not having junk either :-) I have rabbits/Guinea pigs/rats/hamsters who are all quite sensitive to new foods so I am used to introducing slowly. :-)

Worst comes to worse ill donate food to a car shelter nearby :-)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 13:19:50 PM »
I feed both felix and  whiskas, but I do think they are junk food tbh, esp the dry food.   If that's all your cat will eat, fair enough, but they do contain cereal (not all wet whiskas do - I think one of the supermeat varieties has no cereal) and that is not good for cats that are carnivores.  They have been fed to cats for years because they are what are on the supermarket shelves and most people don't dwell much on what they feed their cats.  And when you look at what is on the supermarket shelves for humans.... mostly processed junk!  It can be hard to switch them over from foods like that to those that are pure meat, as their tummies have got used to one thing so dont always adapt well to something new, plus they are a bit like children who will refuse meat and veg and plead for macdonalds!  They want the junk. Some cats will just have digestive issues generally and that complicates matters, but overall cats are designed to eat meat and not cereals.  You are not a bad meowmy for feeding whiskas, but it isn't the best quality food on the market.  It's a complete food and your cat may do fine on it.

The addition of cereal, soy and veg deriviatives is not directly related to price - sometimes I look in places like quality save and find foods that are cheap and are just meat, meat deriviatives and minerals.  Meat deriviatives may not be ideal but I think in this country regulations do limit what goes into cat food and so there's nothing really bad in there.  Butchers classic is a cheap basic food that is grain free and sold in most supermarkets.  Hi life essentials is also under £3 for 12 pouches in quality save and is grain free.

I feed some dry and go for Applaws as it is grain free and Mosi loves it.  I only really feed dry to help keep costs down. He has had runny poos in the past but they tend to be when I've given him foods containing grains.  he does have dreamies which are junk food and contain cereal, but obv only small quantiites.  the rest of the time he has hi life essentials (just meat, minerals and a bit of sugar) and he's fine.   

The important thing is that if you want to change, do it gradually, to minimise the risk of upset tummies. 

For most of us what we feed is a compromise.  We have to bear in mind cost, availability and above all what they will actually eat!  The best food in the world is no good if they won't eat it or it upsets their tummy.  So we have to make a decision, be happy with it and don't let anyone make us feel bad if we aren't feeding the best quality food out there. 

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 12:56:27 PM »
it is true that in the end they eat what they eat, I feed felix and whiskas and have no complaints I have tried bozita etc but can't get them to eat it!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 12:53:36 PM »
No whiskers is not a junk food, Go Cat maybe but felix and whiskers have served our cats for a great many years.

Some cats cannot tolerate high meat content food and any change should be done very slowly.

You are always best to be guided by what your cat prefers to eat rather than what you think they should eat and keep changing their food could cause loads of problems.

There is another thread running at present and from that you will see how differently we all feed our cats and how most of us have a supermarket of cat food from failed attempts of either changing food or the cat telling us, I am not eating that any more!

Then 6 months later they want the one they wouldnt eat.........sigh

I believe on tappa thingy you dont get to see all of Purrs so if you have a pc , worth looking at us every so often from there

Offline bekki2308

• Kitten
Feeding my 8 month old
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 09:57:55 AM »
She has been fed whiskas adult biscuits and occasionally pouches all her life so far but after some research apparently whiskas is the junk food of car feed.

Basically I found that foods that state a high meat content and not meat derivatives are good and they should not contain cereals. Also that a completely dry diet should be avoided.  I do plan on ordering bozita from zoo+ though instead of the feline fayre when I'm ordering for my other animals anyway :-)

I found feline fayre in asda with 50-70% real meat content and no cereal. Also applaws kitten biscuits in pets at home would this make a good diet for her? I was thinking biscuits on a morning so in the summer wet food isn't left out when it's hot to go off, and a pouch for tea?

I gave her her whiskas biscuits with a tuna feline fayre pouch and she loved it and it smelt good too!

Link to CatChat