Author Topic: How much do your vet's charge?  (Read 2549 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: How much do your vet's charge?
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2012, 19:46:13 PM »
My current vet is purfect  ;D ;D

Offline paddypaws101

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Nellie, Paddy, Murphy ( Now all at the Bridge), Peggy and Mitzy and Milo, Millie and Monty, Woody and Wiggins
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2012, 07:40:00 AM »
I live in Walthamstow East London which is statistically one of the cheapest/poorest boroughs ( and yes, south counts as posher!! ) I really have not chosen the most expensive vet in the area, but he is one of the most popular. He does not own the business so does not set the charges. I do choose to use him over a closer and cheaper vet as he is very caring and really spends time with the animal, he is not perfect..what vet is? ...but I do always come away feeling that he has listened to me and the animal and not treated us like a production line.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2012, 23:03:35 PM »
I used to live in South London too and my vet, one stop on the train was very reasonable.

Never used any other for about 10 years and Kocka had operations and all sorts.

Offline caz1979

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Purdy and Poppy
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 21:05:31 PM »
Paddys paws i live in south London does that mean i am posh ;D
ive only used our vet so far for jabs and that was for each cat 53 pounds for both injections! vet was lovely! did ring round a few diffrent ones and one wanted 40 quid a jab :wow:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 12:42:55 PM »
My goodness where in London do you live?

Offline paddypaws101

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Nellie, Paddy, Murphy ( Now all at the Bridge), Peggy and Mitzy and Milo, Millie and Monty, Woody and Wiggins
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 09:00:22 AM »
Ha ha, now you all feel really smug with your fees, eh? The 'cheaper' vet is only slightly cheaper, and I have never even thought of the idea of not having to pay for follow up appointments! I have dubbed the local Animal hospital 'The Wanstead Hilton' as the prices they charge for OOH admissions could pay for the Honeymoon suite at a posh hotel.
FWIW, these kind of prices also mean that our insurance premiums for our animals are sky high too....when I see adverts saying 'insure your cat for only £6 a month' it makes me laugh as premiums for even a young healthy cat would be 3 times that. I even got a quote from a vet in a much smarter area of London who was touting their own sponsored policies and it was £550 a year for my 2 year old female cat!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 23:42:29 PM »
:doh: + a sharp intake of breath combined with a semi-grimace would be the most appropriate smiley in response to that!  :shocked:

I agree with Helen oh boy!

You need to use the vet you have the most confidence in and handles your cats as you think they should.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 20:34:07 PM »
 :doh: + a sharp intake of breath combined with a semi-grimace would be the most appropriate smiley in response to that!  :shocked:

Offline paddypaws101

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 20:13:50 PM »
I am in London....East mind you not posh West or south, and I pay £39 for initial consult then £35 for EACH follow up. Now do you all feel lucky? Oh, and I have 6 cats!

Mind you, I do choose this vet who is a 10 minute drive away, over the cheaper one at the end of my road.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 20:22:26 PM »
The Clan have been blessed with 2 wonderful vets practices in their whole lives who understand that we know our cats very well and how things have to be done with them we also of course have had very good discounts with both practices and feel safe and happy taking both the cats and dogs to them in fact the dogs are all waggie tailed and love visiting and all have their own followers amongst the vet staff I suppose because all 3 are different colours but have wonderful temprements some of the cats on the other hand have left blood on the walls as we have left :shocked: :naughty: :rofl:

We get the cats treated first and then Robin worries about the cost :evillaugh:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 18:07:23 PM »
I think the initial fee is around £30 with circa £22 for follow ups and every so often they just wave the fee but we are pretty regular visitors, having 8 cats.

I brought Billy Whiz to vet last night as he has something going on with his eyes (watering every so often and losing fur which is making look a bit "surprised"  :shify: ).  Billy is what you might call a "difficult" cat to handle  :scared: :scared: but, after vet and VN both risking life and limb examining him and giving him a worming pill that I brought along coz I couldn't get him to take it  :sneaky:, vet said not possible to diagnose at the moment and let's see what happens.  No sign of ringworm under Woods Lamp.  Pointless giving him AB as no sign of infection. 

No charge.

I think once you have found a good vets and are happy with the service ..........you stay with them.

That's about it  :)

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Paws, Dopey, Chubby, Moses & Minty. All in a better place and never forgotten. We'll meet again and be happy together again.
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 16:38:00 PM »
I'll let you know mine when I have the heart to go through the receipt.

I think it was around £25 for a consultation with the next visit being free if for the same issue, but not sure of the timeframe before you'll be charged again.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 16:07:50 PM »
I think once you have found a good vets and are happy with the service and all the things they can do, you stay with them.

My vets now has a pet ambulance which is great.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
How much do your vet's charge?
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 15:16:08 PM »
I think mine is the most expensive in my area but they are very well equipped and are the host clinic for vets now so if they were poorly and had to be admitted they wouldn't get moved each day which is important to me. A new vaccination clinic opened up within half a mile of my house recently, they charge £10 for boosters (mine charge £30 for flu/enteritis only - no felv)  which did tempt me as I do like a bargain but loyalty prevented me from trying it out!

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 14:19:48 PM »
I think mine keep their charges down as another vet's practice opened within a couple of miles last year.  No idea whether the new one is cheaper or more expensive, but will stay with the present one as I know their charges are reasonable, I can park outside, they provide their own emergency call out service and do their own in house testing do results are quicker and they carry out operations onsite, whereas the new one can't provide any of these options!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 12:06:58 PM »
Mine are now £31.50 for the first consult then £23 for the 2nd and subsequent consult - vet care is something I wouldn't shop around for though as I trust my vets 100%. There are two vets just a few mins from my house but I still drive 15 mins to my vets as I've been going to them for years and would feel disloyal going elsewhere!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 18:42:15 PM »
Yes think your vet is fairly cheap Lotzy mine is about the same as Dawn but without any free consultation .

Convenia is nearly £30 a jab!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 14:34:51 PM »
first consultation is £28 second for the same thing £21 and third (I think) is free

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 14:29:53 PM »
Just wondering how much others pay for a vet's appointment.  I think my vet is fairly low at £21, which includes a follow up appointment if needed in the next week and after that half price if you have to return within a couple of months concerning the same problem.   Injections for anti-inflammatories and anti-biotics tend to be £2/3 each depending on type and 5 days anti-biotics in pill form was £4 last time.

Had to have one of them sedated a couple of years ago for a scan, urine analysis and to include the appointments in the previous week, came to £176.

Link to CatChat