Author Topic: How much food???  (Read 1707 times)

Offline Alcatraz

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Butch and Sundance
Re: How much food???
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 17:10:49 PM »
They are gorgeous!

Our two are a similar age and have gone from four meals of a quarter of a pouch (one pouch a day each) with dry food to nibble, to three meals of half a pouch (one and a half pouches each) and dry food.  We're thinking of upping to four half pouches but might give it another couple of weeks.

All the food boxes suggest we're giving them the right amount, they're very active and although the wet food goes in minutes, the dry food is sometimes there for a day, and sometimes gets emptied twice a day!  So they eat as much as they want I guess.

Our little ones have their own bowls and enevitably they get bored hafway through the meal and swap, but it's good that we can see how much each is eating.

I think your portions are fine, so I wouldn't worry!

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 11:01:31 AM »
Poppy and Purdy are just adorable!

We have 2 cats nearly 2yrs old now. We always have had dried food left down, but when we introduced wet food always used 2 bowls just to check what they were eating really. I had to plonk their noses in front of the right bowls a lot at first (and still sometimes now!) they do know whos is whos tho. Once they have both finished it is pretty much a free for all!  :-[
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 20:02:44 PM »
Im sorry I should have read your post better as Amber isnt a kitten in anything apart from mind as shes now around ermm 13 I think.

Offline caz1979

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Purdy and Poppy
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 10:31:47 AM »
Thanks for the replies ill stick with what were doing for now then! My sister in law has cats and there rather large lol not overweight just big!
Tried to add a couple of pics hopefully has worked!this is when i first got them x

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 10:20:52 AM »
Some cats are just built big my Clan cats range from Master Star at 8.72kgs - he is an NFC, Master Casper ragdoll is 8kgs, them the moggie boys range from 7.2kgs to 4kgs and my girls range from 6kgs to Miss Stormy bubbles feral aged 11 at 2.5kgs

The kittens who are now all nearly a year old - 6 former ferals and the Physco bengal range from 5kgs to 2.5kgs being as Miss Kali kitten was the runt of the litter but is my special girl
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 08:41:59 AM »
 :welcome: to Purrs (better to welcome late than never eh?  :-[:hug:

In my experience of young tittentats over last few years, they eat anything and, if you are leaving dry food down and they are not eating in one go, I'm sure you are feeding enough.

This assumes that Purdy and Poppy appear active, happy and healthy otherwise with lots of playing  :wow:.  I agree at that age it is better to feed more than twice a day.  I think we fed four times a day in smallish meals but of course OH works from home so it wasn't a problem.  We still feed them 3 times day (plus a chicken treat meal so 4 really  :-[ ) which is a bit naughty as they are all over a year old now and twice a day is more the norm when they get older.  We sort of got stuck in a rut. 

One thing you needn't worry about is overfeeding at 4 months but have to admit we have a a couple of porkies amongst our hoard of 8 now  :-[ so you need to take care especially about the dry food which is more fattening when they get a little older.

You may want to consider the quality of cat food they eat and the meat content.  There are a lot of dry foods on the market (Go Cat for instance) that is full of carbohydrates with a low meat content and cats are not really built for processing carbs.  I see that you are feeding them wet kitten food which is great.  I wish you were nearby (I'm in Brum) as I have a load of HiLife Kitten food pouches that ours won't touch anymore which cost a bomb and very high meat content.  Typical cats! Am sure we will find a home for it though coz it ain't getting thrown out, that's for sure.

I have a "bone to pick" though (get it?  ;) ), I can't find any pics of P & P  :shify: and must tell you that pics are sort of "expected"?  :innocent:  It's in the  :rules: ...... somewhere  ;)

If you're having trouble posting pics, feel free to email them to me at RosellaMoggy@GMail.com and I'll pop them on your "Hi" thread  :)

Once again.  Welcome and hope you hand around  :hug:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 08:40:24 AM »
To be honest thats about right for kittens that age if they have access to dried food as well, of course in our house once the kittens walk away the adults finish the "special food"

Ensure they have access to water with the dried food and they will tell you if they are hungry, we feed any kittens 3 times a day with kitten food but they mooch adult food the rest of the time and the Clan kittens have all grown up to be rather marvellous specimens even if I say so myself ;D
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline caz1979

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 07:51:19 AM »
Hi Gill
Yes its kitten food! Its 3 pouches between them there having a day!sorry I ment wen I sed half between them half each. The vet told me to feed them 3 times a day! I have tried giving them a whole pouch each but they don't eat it all and it dries up!so not sure what to do.
Xx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 23:36:56 PM »
Is that kitten food or adult?

It doesnt sound like sufficient food to me cos they are only having a pouch and a half a day and they are growing kittens.

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 18:03:17 PM »
Amber has 1/2 a pouch 3 times a day. Morning, late afternoon and bedtime and I leave biscuits down all the time which she sometimes eats and sometimes doesnt. Given the choice she would live on treats but I wont let her  :evillaugh:

Offline caz1979

• Adult Cat
How much food???
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 15:35:51 PM »
Hi
Purdy and Poppy are now 16 weeks and they have been having a pouch of felix between them morning late afternoon and when i go to bed they also have biscuits left down.
just wondered how much everyone else feed there kittens/cats?
also i try to get them to eat out of seperate bowls but they go to the same one resulting in one lot of food not getting eaten,is 2 boels better or 1 ok?
Thanks Caroline x

Link to CatChat