Author Topic: My cat and her kittens, is this normal?  (Read 1800 times)

Offline Carlyp

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Mow Mow + 2
Re: My cat and her kittens, is this normal?
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 14:57:57 PM »

We had Mac neutered when he was five months old, and plan to do the same with Ross (we'll get him microchipped thent oo as the vet thinks it's less hassle for kittens to have the two procedures performed together). 

What's your Mum cat called Carly?  And have you picked out names for the kittens?  It must be very exciting to have them to look forward to once they start getting mobile.  :wow:

I don't know if you know (or whether you'd be interested) but Bristol Veterinary college are asking for volunteers across the UK to take part in what is becoming known as "The Bristol Cat project" - they want owners of kittens between 8 and 16 weeks to sign up to a periodic questionnaire to help them monitor and understand what forms health and behavioural patterns in a cat's first two years of life, and what interactions form with their owners.   

We've signed up Ross (our ten and a bit week old kitten) and they're still looking for volunteers to take part.    :)

Have posted the link below in case you feel like taking part.

http://www.survey.bris.ac.uk/smvsfa/quest1

I love stuff like that - did anyone ever see the guy who fitted his cat with a little video camera so he could see what he got up to when he went outside?  I don't think I'm that bad (yet) but it was fascinating to see just what the cat got up to (although most of it was finding a sunny comfy place to snooze, if I recall  :evillaugh:)

That survey sounds good, I will check it out.

Our cat is called Mow Mow, my son Jack named her when he was 2 and all he could really understand about her was miow Lol. He asked us if he can call the ginger kitten 'marmalade' and the black and white 'Jack' We agreed on maramalade and have decided on magic for the other.

Offline Carlyp

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 14:54:16 PM »
Yup, varies on the vets policies. :) My youngest two were 5 months when they were spayed and neutered.

(I've just realised how abrupt my first post sounded...sorry, I was in a bit of a rush and didn't want to forget to respond!)

Didn't sound abrupt at all :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 18:23:42 PM »
wish i could do the study for lupin but he is too old

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 11:02:09 AM »

We had Mac neutered when he was five months old, and plan to do the same with Ross (we'll get him microchipped thent oo as the vet thinks it's less hassle for kittens to have the two procedures performed together). 

What's your Mum cat called Carly?  And have you picked out names for the kittens?  It must be very exciting to have them to look forward to once they start getting mobile.  :wow:

I don't know if you know (or whether you'd be interested) but Bristol Veterinary college are asking for volunteers across the UK to take part in what is becoming known as "The Bristol Cat project" - they want owners of kittens between 8 and 16 weeks to sign up to a periodic questionnaire to help them monitor and understand what forms health and behavioural patterns in a cat's first two years of life, and what interactions form with their owners.   

We've signed up Ross (our ten and a bit week old kitten) and they're still looking for volunteers to take part.    :)

Have posted the link below in case you feel like taking part.

http://www.survey.bris.ac.uk/smvsfa/quest1

I love stuff like that - did anyone ever see the guy who fitted his cat with a little video camera so he could see what he got up to when he went outside?  I don't think I'm that bad (yet) but it was fascinating to see just what the cat got up to (although most of it was finding a sunny comfy place to snooze, if I recall  :evillaugh:)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 10:25:13 AM »
Yup, varies on the vets policies. :) My youngest two were 5 months when they were spayed and neutered.

(I've just realised how abrupt my first post sounded...sorry, I was in a bit of a rush and didn't want to forget to respond!)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 23:30:25 PM »
Between 4 and 6 months depending on your vets policy

Offline Carlyp

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 23:03:55 PM »
Yes we plan on spaying her, and were keeping her kittens :)

What age can the kittens be spayed?

Thank you for your replies

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 12:58:56 PM »

Hi Carly

Kittens eyes don't normally open until around seven to ten days after they're born, so squeaking helps them to communicate, and to attract their Mum's attention.

Welcome to the forum.    :welcome:  Hope Mum and babies are doing well.  Good idea to have Mum spayed once the babies are weaned on to solids, if you weren't alrready thinking of doing so.  Much safer for her too.   :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 11:07:40 AM »
Carly, I think that's quite normal but I could be wrong.

Can I ask if you're planning on spaying Mum Cat when the kittens are weaned?

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Carlyp

• Adult Cat
My cat and her kittens, is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 22:19:22 PM »
My cat had 2 kittens on tuesday.

I know it's normal for her to pick them up by their necks, but should they be squeaking when she does it?

X

Link to CatChat