Author Topic: Rhona - weepy eyes  (Read 1357 times)

Offline racammann

• Adult Cat
Re: Rhona - weepy eyes
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 16:46:42 PM »
Hmm, yeah I had thought of conjunctivitus, but since it wasn't gungy or gooey or sticky or crusty, I decided it probably wasn't that. I don't know, is there a type of conjuctivitus where it's just like watery tears?

She's such a pampered princess, she's like our baby. Although she's grumpy with us at the moment because we've recently started shutting her out of the bedroom at night. She was always allowed to sleep on the bed with us and she was always good as gold, but in the last few weeks she's taken to waking up at 6am full of beans and leaping around attacking the duvet! What a nutter. She's 8 years old and I think she thinks she's still a kitten. She was attacking my feet the other night and got so excited she actually did a forward-roll.

Needless to say, I haven't obeyed the law laid down to me by BF 'you can't open any windows in case she gets chilly'. Decided that was ridiculous, it's not exactly freezing out, and our little 3 bed terraced house can get quite stuffy without ventilation. I will argue my case that clean, fresh, dry, moving air is healthier than stagnant, stuffy, humid, breathed-farted-and-sweated-in, lived-in air! Hahaha!

Thanks for all your help guys!

Offline KittyB

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Rusalka, Orpheus, Tosca and Carmen
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 10:11:27 AM »
Cats can get a lot of problems with their eyes. Conjunctivites, eye ulcers or a load of other stuff it's hard to say what it could be and best to get her checked at the vets if this happens with her again. Glad to hear it has cleared up though. :)
Rusalka had conjunctivitis before Christmas. Her eyes were all weepy and gungey and worse in one side. Conjunctivites is quite common in cats (in my experience).
Kitty x x x

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 23:30:24 PM »
I'm no expert but my mate's cat gets hay fever and her vet told her to sprinkle some olbas oil/eucalyptus oil on a tissue and leave it in the room.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline racammann

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 13:45:11 PM »
Well it seemed to be a fairly short-lived temporary thing. Her eyes seem fine now. No weepiness. Must've just been something irritating them. Perhaps she rubbed her face on something. I'll keep a close eye on her and see if it comes back.
I first noticed it when she was 'basking' under a desk lamp that gets hot. She kept looking at the light and it seemed to be that that was making her eyes water, but I couldn't be sure as the weepiness continued after she moved away from the lamp.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 18:24:39 PM »
just remembered that cats can get a blocked tear duct that could cause this,

Offline racammann

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 08:55:12 AM »
Thanks everyone, that's what I thought.
She's absolutely fine in herself, no temperature, no other symptoms, still behaving like a kitten even though she's 8 years old!
This weepy eye thing suddenly came on 2 weeks ago and it's clear just like excess tears, not gunky or gooey or sticky

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 00:59:35 AM »
If she's showing no other signs it does seem possible it's allergies rather than a cold.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 23:31:29 PM »
Cats dont catch colds from humans or vice versa

Unless she has a temperature a window open will not affect her, unless she is indoor only and gets out

If she feels cold she will move to somewhere warmer

It could be a cold, it could be an allergin, if its clear I dont think its a problem but if you are worried get her checked over by a vet.

Wish we hasd that kind of heat outside! Its blooming freezing with a strong wind.....................mutter mutter

Offline racammann

• Adult Cat
Rhona - weepy eyes
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 19:49:33 PM »
Hi again everyone, not sure if you remember me but I was posting back in the summer about my boyfriends burmese cat Rhona and her various health issues.
I am pleased to report that she is doing very well, her crusty ears have gone away completely, her sore nail beds have cleared up, she coughs much less and vomits less than she did, so thank you all very much for your kind words of advice, they helped a lot.

However, she has recently developed slightly weepy eyes, the right being worse than the left. It's clear goo, doesn't look infected, and she wipes it away herslef so it doesn't look too bad.
I suspected maybe an allergy or an irrant, but BF has just been and spoken to his mother about it (the one who's been breeding oriental cats since 1970) and he's just come back and we've had the following conversation:

BF: Rhona's got a cold.
Me: Really? Is that all it is? But she hasn't got a runny nose, it's only affected her eyes.
BF: Yeah.
Me: So it'll probably clear up by itself soon then?
BF: Maybe, but if she gets cold it can kill her, so no open windows!
Me: Eh? But it's 17 degrees and sunny out. Is that why the heating's on and we're baking in here? Surely it's just a virus and body temperature can't affect it THAT much?
BF: Yeah but cats don't get colds like we do. If you want to argue with my mum about it go ahead.
Me: So if she's caught the cold virus she must've got it from one of us (bearing in mind she's an indoor cat, hasn't been out anywhere, hasn't been anywhere cold, and neither BF or I have had a cold in months).
BF: Yeah, probably.

End of convo. This just doesn't ring true with me at all. My scientific brain is doubting the logic behind this. Can anyone verify if this might be really what's going on?
It's too hot to be sat in here with the windows all closed and the heating on when it's so sunny outside!

Link to CatChat