Author Topic: Fox shock!  (Read 2335 times)

Offline Honeysuckle

• Adult Cat
Re: Fox shock!
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2012, 23:23:47 PM »
It must have been such a shock for you to find Sooty's tail like that. How awful.

It's very unusual for foxes to attack an adult healthy cat as they are at a disadvantage because cats have retractable claws and foxes don't usually want to risk injury. Of course if they have cubs then they would be protective of them, likewise if a cat had kittens they would be protective of them. The foxes in my own garden are scared of my cats and keep their distance.

I wonder if it actually was a fox? I only ask because last year my local paper ran a story with the headline, "Fox Savages Cat". They even had a quote from the local vet's receptionist who said how badly injured the cat was. Fortunately the cat made a full recovery. Anyone, seeing the headline would have just assumed that a fox actually did attack a cat and even killed it! It so happened that the cat had been taken to my own local vet's surgery, so I went in there and asked about the attack. It turned out that they had no evidence that it was a fox and that it could have been a dog! The newspaper went with the headline "Fox savages Cat", because it was much more sensational! A fox had been seen in the area but then again foxes are scavengers and if the cat had already been injured by a dog then the fox may well have smelled the blood and approached. And foxes are territorial so it would have been in the area anyway. Unfortunately, someone saw the fox and just assumed that it was the fox who must have attacked the cat. I guess no-one will ever know. I tend to think that cats are more in danger from dogs than foxes.

Either way it's still very sad. Poor little Sooty. rest in peace little one.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2012, 16:27:19 PM »
We have a couple of pairs of resident foxes at the Clan Hmestead along with bambi deer and the sisters, my badger Sett and loads of other wildlife and we have never had any issues with the cats although my rule is all grounded at night well whenever they deign to come to the window to be let in :shocked:

I have more issues with the larger birds of prey dropping my little ones - thats how Baby Gorgeous spent 5 days 25 foot up a tree in sub zero conditions!!!!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2012, 15:32:52 PM »
so sorry to hear about poor Sooty.    Poor love  :hug: x
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 15:11:55 PM »
Wow Sheryl and Gillian what lucky cat you have. Both great looking cat runs.   

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 00:12:42 AM »
I thought that looked great but its not as big as it looks

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 23:50:27 PM »
Poor Sooty, RIP :'(  I was thinking about getting something like this for my elderly stable cat, who is home at the mo:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LARGE-DELUXE-CHICKEN-COOP-HEN-POULTRY-ARK-HOUSE-HUTCH-/110857232972?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry&hash=item19cf9b224c

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 23:04:14 PM »
I had lots of plants in my cat run, bamboos, grasses, also a half barrel water feature with bubble fountain, climbing posts, shelves etc. The run went from the back door, down to a large shed (which I incorporated - and I made like a hayloft for them  ;) ) - then it ran from the shed, across the back of the house and then part way down the garden. Heres a few pics.

This post with shelves is in my current garden - but it was originally in the cat run at the other house

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 22:43:59 PM »
Here are a couple of photos  - will find some more and if you want any tips just ask x

The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Doncat5

• Kitten
  • Slave to: LC, Ishmar, Bibbin, Raven & Maude (4 ex feral, 1 hand readed orphan)
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 22:27:21 PM »
Thank you Sheryl, I'll see if I can find your pics. 

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 20:23:08 PM »
We have got a large cat run and my Benglies love it and I know they are safe - there is a photo on here somewhere
RIP Sooty - play hard at the Bridge little one x
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline Doncat5

• Kitten
  • Slave to: LC, Ishmar, Bibbin, Raven & Maude (4 ex feral, 1 hand readed orphan)
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 19:58:00 PM »
Thank you Lorna.  Yes, chicken wire is useless, in fact all it keeps out is chickens.  I have a rabbit and foster for a rabbit rescue too so am usually very fox aware.... the chicken run is solid galvanised steel,  1 x 1 inch welded mesh, cost me over £1000 but you cant buy a peaceful nights sleep, and a fox would need an angle grinder to get in!  Havent stopped thinking about poor Sooty all weekend. :(

Offline lornab

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Monty and Moses.
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 18:04:26 PM »
I wonder if the increase in Fox attacks may be linked to the increased use of wheelie bins in recent years, this must be making it harder for foxes to find easy meals.
I think a run attached to your house linked by a cat flap would be an excellent idea, it would certainly put your mind at ease, add a roof to keep the weather off and the litter trays could live outside too.
You probably know this already from having your chicken coop built but so called 'chicken wire' is not strong enough to keep foxes out - you need the proper weld mesh, constructed on a concrete or flagged base to prevent digging from either side.

RIP Sooty :(
Please join the Purrs save a life draw - £2 a month is all it takes!
Help the rescues to help the cats in their care plus the chance to win £££ 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,38217.0.html

Offline Doncat5

• Kitten
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 18:02:42 PM »
Thank you.  Rosella, it was the owners teenage daughter who saw the chase, in their garden... she didnt see and contact an I dont think she thought much of it tbh, we all know foxes live in the area but have never had any attacks before, that we know of.  It was only when Sooty didnt come home the next morning that they realised the fox could be the culprit.  I've always been a big defender of foxes but I do believe they are becoming more daring in their search for food.  Ideally they should all be out in the countryside eating rabbits and rats, not taking pets. :(

I'm looking into getting a run similar to my chicken run, with a door that can be accessed from the garden and also, my lounge door will open out into it, sort of like a lean-to... I have no idea what cats require in a run though so will have to do a bit of research and it run will take a few weeks to be made (think it was 6 for my chicken run)... in the mean time, we're all staying indoors to be on the safe side. 

Offline angelinajolly

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: tom, tigger,catty, felix,megs, rose, Tyd
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 16:48:56 PM »

I used to see fox's @ night when i lived in London,  I only saw 1 go after kittens that a young cat had hidden under my neighbours shed, luckily cat &
 kitties were rescued & homed. Things are different these day's though fox's are more brazen, a friend of mine has lost  a young, cat & 5 lamb's this year & another neighbour has lost a duck a day they were taken in broad daylight.  And  I worry about my neighbours 2 outside cat's who sleep in my shed of a night. The run sounds a great idea.   

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 16:15:53 PM »
Apparantly fox attacks on cats are becoming more common - it is thought that they normally attack older or sick cats that cant run away from them - my Mums neighbour heard a terrible commotion early morning last week when she ran outside the Fox dropped her cat and luckily she has survived although has some serious injuries - her vet said that they are seeing more Fox attacks
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 13:43:54 PM »
Who saw the fox chasing her and did they follow up?  I only ask as we have 8 cats and a number of foxes in our immediate area.  The noise they made the other night was deafening  and quite horrible (mating) but in the 22 years we've lived here we have never had a cat attacked by a fox.  I have however lost a cat in a similar horrible way to dogs in 1989.  Truly awful.

RIP Sooty you poor lamb  :'(

Offline Doncat5

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 22:57:36 PM »
I'm as sure as I can be.  Her tail was very chewed at the base, all the bone exposed,  really upset me and my OH  .... she was a fragile little thing, but such a sweet cat, it sickens me to think about her going that way. :(

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 22:39:46 PM »
Are you sure she was definitely killed, and not been injured and hiding somewhere? :(

Offline Doncat5

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 22:24:14 PM »
Thank you.  Yes I am able to have one built, I had a 10ft x 5ft walk-in chicken run built from steel cat mesh last year (due to worrying about foxes), it cost a small fortune but well worth it for sleeping soundly at night.  I've never had cats in a run before, dont really know what they'd need but it is looking like this is the only way they'll ever get out again.... the oldies dont seem to mind at the mo, I'm currently sitting on the floor while 4 cats hog the sofa, the dog has nicked the chair!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 22:05:34 PM »
Sorry to hear about Sooty  :(  :hug:

If you're able to, then I think building a run is an excellent compromise - as they're older cats they probably won't mind their territory being curtailed a a bit and the young ones who've never been out get the bonus of the run too.

Offline Doncat5

• Kitten
Fox shock!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 21:55:11 PM »
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I havent posted for a long while but I need to get this off my chest to some cat people.  I have 5 cats, 3 old ones (11,14,15) which are out/indoor, the youngest 2 (1yr old) never go out but all are kept in at night.  I've lived here for 14 years with no problems at all.  My neightbour has 2 cats(13 & 16).  On Tuesday night their eldest, Sooty, was killed by a fox (fox was seen chasing her in their garden)..  On Saturday morning I found just her tail ... over my back fence is a disused railway line and with an obvious fox hole.  I believe she had been killed and taken away and brought back out to feed cubs, or at least her remains had.  My neighbour is gutted and I'm terrified to let my old ladies out.  I'm a big fox lover and have seen cats live in harmony with them for years, I know fox attacks are rare but this is the 2nd cat I know of to be killed by one in less than 6 months, not in the same area I must add.  I dont know what to do for the best, but I'm out of my mind with worry.... I'm contemplating handing the spare box room over to the cats or do I have a cat run built in the garden so they can still have some fresh air?  I know I'm not prepared to lose my old girls, they wouldnt stand a chance against a hungry fox.  RIP Sooty :(

Link to CatChat