Author Topic: Statistics on strays and ferals  (Read 1179 times)

Offline KittyB

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Rusalka, Orpheus, Tosca and Carmen
Re: Statistics on strays and ferals
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 12:37:31 PM »
This is great news that the paper has agreed! Such an important issue. I can imagin it would be hard to find statistics on this issue though as so many people just don't know. Hope the CP get back to you soon :)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 12:38:19 PM by KittyB »
Kitty x x x

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 18:30:05 PM »
I've emailed them, so far no joy.... :tired:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 14:02:24 PM »
I know my district nurse was shocking , she kept going on about recession and family first, pets second...i felt sorry for her poor cat :(
I dont know if its because i have cats but i do keep seeing new ones arriving..i have to be carefull though as i catnapped a stray then found out she was microchipped to a house near me :shify: they kept her in a while after that but seen her since wet and hungry, poor mite.
also got a new "batman" cat (white with a black mask) , its either a huge tom or a pregnant female but can never get close enough to see sadly...

do the rspca keep records? they seem big on statistics..even if the care for strays may be lacking >:(

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 13:30:51 PM »
Local CP branches usually have approximate numbers on ferals if they feed colonies but you would probably need to contact each branch same with strays I would think
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 12:52:34 PM »
I am sure this has come up before and there are no records kept by anyone

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Statistics on strays and ferals
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 12:37:31 PM »
As most of you know, our feline family rose by 2 in the last few months after a couple of strays wandered into our garden. This got me thinking that in the entire time I've lived here, this is the first time it's happened and I took that as an indication that abandonment was on the rise.

With this in mind, I contacted the local newspaper asking if they'd run an article on the rise in strays that become feral colonies (eventually) and the importance of spaying and neutering. (Both cats arrived entire.) They've agreed, but finding statistics about strays and ferals in the UK is proving difficult - the CP don't keep records at HQ apparently!

So, any ideas on where to get the information?

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Link to CatChat