Author Topic: removing cat hair from clothes  (Read 6988 times)

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
Re: removing cat hair from clothes
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2012, 14:50:14 PM »
I bought a sponge type thing from Pets at Home for about a fiver which is great on the bedding (ours which of course really means theirs) but as for clothes I just keep "at home" stuff which I change into when I'm in.     

Offline Philip

• Distinguished Cat
    • United Kingdom Ragdoll Cat Trust
  • Slave to: Ellie, Bertie, Christian, Saba
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 21:34:22 PM by Philip »
[/img]
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/cheekee_munkee/All-3-together-web.jpg[/img]

RIP Maddy 02/06/2009 xxx
RIP Delphi 21/02/2011 xxx
RIP Skye xxxx

Bring love and happiness to all you do and it will be repaid tenfold.

Offline Bren22

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Carrie, Harvey & Jess & fostermum for CCG and all my lovely pets on the bridge
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2012, 10:27:51 AM »
A wet rubber glove - on your hand of course - seems to work well on bedding while it's still on the bed.  I agree about throwaway cat bedding, charity shops quite often have sheets, curtains etc which can be used too.

Offline wonkypaws

• Adult Cat
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2012, 08:17:41 AM »
I use one like this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Double-Action-Way-Clothes-Brush/dp/B000LFAOKK/ref=pd_sim_kh_5

I think that you can get them lots of places and I like this one because it is quite big, so less brushing required.

Offline Philip

• Distinguished Cat
    • United Kingdom Ragdoll Cat Trust
  • Slave to: Ellie, Bertie, Christian, Saba
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2012, 23:10:31 PM »
[/img]
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/cheekee_munkee/All-3-together-web.jpg[/img]

RIP Maddy 02/06/2009 xxx
RIP Delphi 21/02/2011 xxx
RIP Skye xxxx

Bring love and happiness to all you do and it will be repaid tenfold.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2007, 13:40:39 PM »
Wouldn't it be nice if they made a washing machine which got rid of animal hair! Maybe a special "cat hair" cycle! They'd make a fortune.  :donate2:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2007, 12:01:09 PM »
i tend not to wash any of the pets bedding anymore as its clogged my machine up far too many times ,instead i throw it all away and buy new ,
for those of u who have a mr cheap shop near u , u can get big fleece blankets for a quid which are really soft n warm n cosy for the cats to sleep on  :Luv: :Luv:all of mine have a fleece blanket in there beds  :Luv:
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2007, 10:59:24 AM »
i hate the fact my machine can't cope with the amount of cat hair that goes in it, I try and de-fluff as much stuff as possible, but in reality, only the bedding gets it, the clothes get it after. Although I was amazed on Sat as I had forgot to de-fluff one of the cat blankets, and just brushed it with my hand while on the line, and as it was wet, loads came off on my hand, so that is a bit of a tip.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2007, 17:43:17 PM »
I once made the mistake of washing the dogs beds then the next load was hubbys work clothes ... eeeeeeekkkk !!

When i was about 14 i washed the pony rug in my mums machine and he was a grey  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:  the hair just wouldnt go away!

Offline ems

• Super Cat
  • My two gorgeous girls, Nina (white) and Kiki
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2007, 16:04:30 PM »
Hi Dawn,

I got one of those velvety brush things from InStore (used to be Poundstretcher!) Think it was one of those JML things. Quite good actually.

I love the Scotch sticky rollers, you get 5 for a fiver from Costco. Really Good and last ages

ems
xxx

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2007, 15:56:55 PM »
My car gets full of fur and everyso often i used one of those brushes that takes it off, they sorta velvertine and reversable so you can brush both ways. Its the only thing that workd for me.

I have 4 longhaired cats and i dont notice the fur on my clothes and then get out of car and seat is fluffy  :rofl: :rofl:

My driving instructor never complained!

any ideas where to get hold of one of these? My mum has one she has had for years and it REALLY works! I never see them anywhere though, just those sticky roller things that are pretty rubbish.

Its definately in the air here, the cats dont go anywhere near my new laptop (except when Gerti rubs her face on the internet cable and knocks it out  :rofl:) and its got hairs on the screen - I just noticed now in the sunlight when I switched it on!

The people in the launderette must hate us then Lynn! LOL
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2007, 15:49:51 PM »
tip..if you have good dark clothes you want washed IE office work clothes etc etc then put the machine on for a wash with nothing in it first and that help clear alot of hairs i find.  I once made the mistake of washing the dogs beds then the next load was hubbys work clothes ... eeeeeeekkkk !!

• Super Cat
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2007, 14:33:25 PM »
If anyone comes to my house they walk out covered in cat hairs. It's in the air, not just on the furniture and my clothes. Often, after I've washed my clothes, they come out of the machine hairier than when they went in!

same ere  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
  • Alfie, Frankie & Leigh, my boys & me
    • http://www.alfie-cat.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2007, 14:29:02 PM »
Hiya,

LOL Hippykitty, same here :), I wore a brown jacket recently which looked like I'd been to a sheep sheering trial :). I went to the cafe where  I usually get some breakfast on the way to work one morning and rhe owner noticed that my sweatshirt, that I'd only washed the day before, was covered in cat hair and handed me a roll of cellotape as he didn't want cat hair in the cafe. Although I've had limited success with those roller things I'm fighting an impossible loosing battle with three indoor-only cats and moulting season right around the corner, my motto on the subject, born of experience, is, "if at first you dion't succeed - GIVE UP" :)

Cheers

Leigh
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 14:35:44 PM by LeighK »
Alfie and Frankie's dad - "Letterbox" are Rockin' the Feline World

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2007, 12:50:52 PM »
If anyone comes to my house they walk out covered in cat hairs. It's in the air, not just on the furniture and my clothes. Often, after I've washed my clothes, they come out of the machine hairier than when they went in!
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2007, 21:42:39 PM »
Thats the kind of brush I meant Gill - wonderful for the bed and carpet, not so good on clothes.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2007, 17:50:26 PM »
My car gets full of fur and everyso often i used one of those brushes that takes it off, they sorta velvertine and reversable so you can brush both ways. Its the only thing that workd for me.

I have 4 longhaired cats and i dont notice the fur on my clothes and then get out of car and seat is fluffy  :rofl: :rofl:

My driving instructor never complained!

Offline Yvie

• Adult Cat
  • Pepper
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2007, 15:53:59 PM »
Take an old towel or something to sit on when you have a driving lesson.
And tell your instructor to get a life!!! :evillaugh:
A cat is more intelligent than people believe, and can be taught any crime.
Mark Twain.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2007, 15:34:19 PM »
Of course if your driving instructor was really that bothered about hairs on the seats he'd buy a proper car with leather seats!!!! solves the problem instantly  :rofl:  (oooh i'm such a snob sometimes!)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2007, 13:08:30 PM »
I use rubber gloves, but to be honest people either deal with the fact that my clothes are covered in cat hair, or don't get to see me particularly much!

Not matter how much you try to remove the hairs, they'll always be some you've missed! ;)

As for the driving instructor, as Lynn says buy a couple of seat covers and get him to fit them before your lesson!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007, 12:32:26 PM »
 Always seem to have a hairy car.

That really made me giggle!  :rofl: :rofl:

My car surprisingly is never bad, I move hoover it from crumbs etc than cat hair. My clothes though, get COVERED and I think sellotape is the best. I hate when I notice I have some cat hair on me I didnt realise and think people in work might think bad of me  :( Its hard though cause you de-fur yourself and then they all come and rub on your legs etc!lol
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 10:23:52 AM »
if i still had fabric seats i'd put a sheet over them before letting you sit in mine, hairs are a nightmare to hoover out of cars.

• Super Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 10:11:13 AM »
omg ur driving instructor sounds  :censored: rude

maybe he might like me in his car sometime i have 7 cats and a massive german shepherd
so u can imagine the hairs im covered in cant u lolol :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 07:43:02 AM »
I'm a sellotape fan too    :)   Always seem to have a hairy car.  And sand - lots of sand (the dog loves the beach but she hasn't ever got the hang of hoovering!   :evillaugh:)   Mind you, Paddy was helping me weed the garden last night - he was munching on all the sprouting grass seeds from the bird feeder that I'd missed!

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 23:50:44 PM »
If you have barbie hands that is  :evillaugh:

I can barely get 4 fingers in them  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 23:43:26 PM »
Sticki mitts are great for getting hair off clothes.  A bit more expensive than a roller or sellotape but a lot easier to use. 

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 23:28:18 PM »
if you have loads of hair then damp hands followed by sellotape.  I have a roller but dont think its as good as the sellotape.

actually i can understand the driving instructer, my mil has 4 jack russels (had 5) and they have the furniture COVERED in white hair and if you dare to sit down the whole of your clothes is covered and i mean covered, so much so a black cardi etc would probably have to be thrown out as theres no way you'd ever get all the hair off and i know what my car is like after driving home from her house so i guess your driving instructer has to clean the seats before the next paying client comes along.

Loads of sellotape i find the most effective and cheapest too.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 21:45:46 PM »
Sellotape ... wrap it round your hand sticky side out and rub over your clothes.

BTW ... I would tell your driving instructor to take a running jump (yes I am being polite on a public forum) YOU are paying for his time and ability to teach you to drive NOT his fashion advice or a critique on your clothes ... w**ker!

Well said Sam!  :evillaugh:

I agree the sellotape works best but fiddly and takes ages. You can get the wide stuff from the £ shop and its a bit easier.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 21:56:30 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 21:29:53 PM »
Sellotape ... wrap it round your hand sticky side out and rub over your clothes.

BTW ... I would tell your driving instructor to take a running jump (yes I am being polite on a public forum) YOU are paying for his time and ability to teach you to drive NOT his fashion advice or a critique on your clothes ... w**ker!
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 20:49:32 PM »
I have used the lint ones, gel ones (you have to wash those though), and some other ones, that I can't describe!!
Please spay your cat

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 20:47:26 PM »
I got 5 free lint rollers with Jasmine's cat tree, but I don't really like them.
I've heard a wet rubber glove is very good. Just use your hand to brush the hair off with it.

Offline tan160581

• Adult Cat
removing cat hair from clothes
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 20:35:03 PM »
i was wondering what do you use to remove hair from clothes i have tried  the lint rollers but i would prefer something that lasts with out me having to replace all the while.

I want something good as my driving instructor bascially said he would refuse to take me out on driving lessons unless i had no hair on my clothes i do try but with 3 cats and sometimes i foster to it can be hard - my family are snobby too and wont let me sit on there sofas as they dont want cat hair on there furniture

Link to CatChat