Author Topic: Garden for cats project.  (Read 1237 times)

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
Re: Garden for cats project.
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 23:34:49 PM »
Your Cat magazine has been running a monthly article on various DIY garden projects for some time - you might find info on their website

love your cats and their garden Gillian - if I come back as a Persian, will you let me into the palace? :sneaky:
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 23:26:12 PM »
You could go vertical and give him something high up where he can watch the world go by like this - its just a fencing post banged into the ground in a metpost and shelves fitted all the way up with shelving brackets.

The water feature I did when at the last house was just an oak barrel. I put a container of water in the barrel (not as big as the barrel, but with enough room round it for planting) then I got a small pond pump, put that in the water, put a piece of mesh over the top of the container and decorated with pebbles and planted all round with bamboos and other plants. Obviously had to get someone to fix the pump up to the electrics. Cats loved it - George, as you can see,used to like sitting in amongst the plants (when it was turned off of course) mind you, I was often tempted to turn the water on when he was sitting there  - I resisted the temptation!  :evillaugh:

I grow rustling grasses and bamboos in my garden (cos I like them) and the cats do too. This grass is nice - Miscanthus Zebrinus (because of the stripey bands on it).

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 22:14:40 PM »
I like the idea of a tunnel area, you could use old chimney pots laid flat, he can shelter in there and also dash through when he's feeling playful.

I have done a logg-ery/rockery area which the boys like to explore, lots of bugs and things creeping around under the logs and they get to scratch on them too.  They like to play hopscotch and hop from the rocks and logs.

Gillian and Tan have very cat friendly gardens so hopefully they'll be along soon  :)

Offline melysion

• Adult Cat
Garden for cats project.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 21:56:59 PM »
Every now and then I buy a cat mag called 'Your Cat'. I don't buy it often because I get annoyed about their stance on dry cat food. But they often have an article on how to make your garden exciting for your cat. Naturally, these articles assume you have a garden the size of Manhattan Island.

I don't have a garden the size of Manhattan Island. I have this one.

I'm considering a little project whereby I make this garden far more interesting for my little man. Any tips? Have you done a similar project? He goes out there often and has probably explored every square inch of it by now (it really is a very small garden and I cant let him out on his own because he is FIV+). I guess the obvious one is catnip. But what about cheap little water features? Little sleeping places? You know the sort of thing - cat stuff!

All thoughts appreciated.

Link to CatChat