Author Topic: RIP Lucas - too beautiful for this world  (Read 9807 times)

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
Re: A reminder to always have provisions for Emergency vet care/Lucas is ill
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2007, 23:41:51 PM »
I just had a calll from Dawn, hes gone  :'( :'(

He apparently had quite a few tumours and just lost all his energy and had to be put to sleep.

I am heartbroken  :'(

Rest in peace my gorgeous gorgeous boy xxxxxxxxx  :(
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 23:42:17 PM by Cheesecat (Dawn) »
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2007, 23:40:26 PM »
Hope Lucas gets better soon :hug:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2007, 23:10:48 PM »
love and prayers to little Lucas, and you too. Hope that he stabilises until he can see his usual vet. Keep us posted.  :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 23:06:21 PM »
Eeep. £132 is extortionate - that vet ought to be ashamed of themselves. I'm aware they're working hours other people aren't but surely you get into veterinary practice because of your love of animals? (Obviously, I'm wrong!)

Sending get well vibes to Lucas. :Luv:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2007, 23:01:22 PM »
Dawn i am praying for little Lucas, please let us know as soon as you hear something from DD. :hug:

I experienced out of ours vet in 1990's when my cat Piccollo had RTA, and i rushed her to 24/emergency eventhough they said she was in shock and they were not going to do anything at 2AM, and just settle her down, and do everything in the morning but they said i have to leave £350.00 with them as deposit other wise they wont admit her >:(, I was so broke at that time but still had to come back call a friend at 3 AM ask her to get the money to me!! It was a nightmare.

I asked them later when i came out of shock my self why so much for deposit? AND they said in case i decided to move her to my own vet the day after then they take the deposit if not they use it towards her treatment :shocked:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 22:58:07 PM »
Sorry to hear about Lucas. Hopefully Sean will be able to sort him out. You are right, Dawn is a  :wish: .

OOH vets are ridiculous. I am goimg to change vets soon to a 24hr one. Even they charge £70 after 8pm and £90 after 11pm I believe but the upside is they offer 24hr care. With my vet at the moment, I would have to use vets now at the other side of Canterbury - about 8 miles away. I know what you mean about being prepared - I should do it sooner rather than later.

Sending healing vibes  :ahh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 22:50:17 PM »
I do hope Lucas is OK  :hug: :hug:

Emergency vets are a real problem and I would have to drive a sick cat 25miles to Vets Now in Swansea and then either back again or go back and collect them at 0800 and take to my normal vet, so 100 plus miles of driving when tired and stressed.

Your vet should have an emergency number when you ring out of hours and all vets for us ordinary people are very expensive out of hours and Vets Now far too high as per Angies petiton but for many of us that the only place we can get care out of hours now.

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 22:50:10 PM »
I'll kep Lucas in my prayers and hope he is ok. It's madness how emergency vet costs can vary so much.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 22:47:36 PM »
I know its disgusting isn't it? So if you can't pay your pets have to suffer. I know vets can't work for nothing but there is a long space between zero and what they are charging, they could make some sort of allowances if they care. I know not all are the same but I just felt a bit helpless tonight.

I really didn't want Lucas's health to suffer because we don't have much money! I am the same as you Ems a week until payday and I have petrol money and that is about it  :hug:

Thank god for Dawn  :wish: she even got a flash from a speed camera on her way  :doh: I hope it was one without film in.
I made promises of Science Plan and a radiator bed to Lucas when he is back  :Luv:

Thankyou for the well wishes  :hug:
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 22:38:29 PM »
Awww hun ... here's sending positive vibes to poor little Lucas - hope he recovers swiftly!  My lot send gentle nudges.   :hug:

Emergencies take us all differently, and you are right, it's best to have what you might need in a place that's easily to hand and not easily forgotten :)  Stick your vets (and the emergency vets, if the number's different) in your mobile - that way, no hunting for numbers is required.  And always have a carrier ready that's easy to get at.  If you don't use a mobile, stick the vet's number somewhere on your pc ... with other emergency numbers ... where it's easy to find - Your desktop is a good place!  One click and you're there :)  Always keep your housekeys, car keys, phone and money/cards in the same place, too :)  Then they're easy to grab and you won't need to remember where you put them!

Good luck with Lucas, hun, and  :hug: to you.

Offline Queen-Penguin

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 22:37:59 PM »
Its ok Dawn, feel free to ramble away. Hope Lucas gets better soon. Menue and I are sending good vibes your way  :hug:
For a man to truly understand rejection, he must first be ignored by a cat.

Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

Offline ems

• Super Cat
  • My two gorgeous girls, Nina (white) and Kiki
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 22:32:52 PM »
Oh Dawn!  :hug:

How awful, sending so many loving and healing vibes for the fabulous Lucas  :hug:

I worry about this too, so glad i've just got some savings from my mum which are being kept away in case if emergency until we need the money in the summer. I'd be screwed if we had to the go the vets tonight, I've got £15 in the bank till payday!

Offline lucy

• Hero Cat
  • Xanthe
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 22:32:01 PM »
Hope Lucas is better soon!  :hug:

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
RIP Lucas - too beautiful for this world
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 22:25:08 PM »
I didn't realise how little prepared I was for an out of hours vet visit until tonight.
I'd like to think I am a bit clued up about general cat care but have never had a problem with our lot that either can't wait for tomorrow or that hasn't occured when the vets is open.

Lucas is unwell  :'(
He was fine yesterday - eating, drinking, using the tray and plodding around. Today I got home and he is very much not himself - Phil did not want to tell me when I was driving home as he thought I might get worried and take my mind off the road.

I didnt know WHAT to do and just started flapping about - I tried to ring Dawn (DD) for advice on what to do and his symptoms and even know I knew where her number is I couldnt manage to see it on the page in my diary and then seemed to forget how to use my phone (I am useless in emergencies!)

I then tried to find a local vet with an emergenct surgery - opened the yellow pages and called everyone I could see this side of Manchester that said they offered 24hr assistance - four of them directed me to a vet around 30 minutes away (near our old house  :tired: ) which charges £70 for a consultation, and another in this area (great, I thought) who wanted to charge me.. wait for it £132 for a consultation!!!  >:(

Having never tried to do this before this made me so mad - these people are cashing in on poor people who love their pets and want them to be cared for - I think £132 is absolutely disgusting - the woman made a point of telling me she would need it at the appointment and no later - I told her it was half that price elsewhere and she asked for my name (put the phone down!!)

While I was phoning round Dawn was on her way here (she has been really, really fab tonight  :hug: ) so I waited to see what she thought was best - she is now on her way to her own vet with Lucas and is going to call me when she gets news on what they think.

This has really woken me up to how little prepared I am for an emergency and I just thought I would give others a heads up too, as I thought I was OK having a vet here but never really considered out of hours - I am now going to do my research well and find the nearest vet that does emergencies and doesn't charge immoral fees and stick the number somewhere I can call even when having a flap!

Also, please please anyone who reads this, can you send some healing and kind thoughts to Lucas - or say a prayer if you are religious - I think he needs some good luck and good wishes :ahh: I am trying not to let myself think about it too much at the moment and am just trying to think only positive things.

:thanks: to anyone who reads all of this rambling..
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 23:45:21 PM by Cheesecat (Dawn) »

Link to CatChat