Author Topic: what should i do about spare cat?  (Read 11327 times)

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
Re: what should i do about spare cat?
« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2007, 17:14:48 PM »

when she was in the paper i had a few calls from people offering to take her if she wasnt claimed, i was hoping i could get the CP to home check these maybe? does that sound reasonable? i wouldnt know what to look for.
If they arent suitable then i can foster her untill shes rehomed- dependant on what is advised. she has a lovely temperment with people- very confident and affectionate and demanding- her head rubs are like being hit by a train! and very bossy. i think shed be ok with some cats as well, just ones with- for want of a better word- balls! lucifer just gives in straight away. maybe with another cat that stood up to her abit shed live and let live. yesterday it became like she was determined to run him out of the house  :(

she wont ever be turfed out though. and at least the spare rooms bigger and softer than a pen. she just might not get as much run time

My friend Jenny,  that found her, named her Delilah but i mostly call her sweetpea, just as a silly nonsense affectionate nickname. madam for when she misbehaves. i tried not to name her so i didnt get too attached so my judgement wasnt clouded.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2007, 17:00:50 PM »
The best thing is to get her onto waiting lists of local rescues, if they suddenly start to get on ok then you havent lost anything  ;D

Sorry it hasnt worked out as hoped.
Have you given a name yet? I like Purdy...

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2007, 16:45:45 PM »
Oh I am so sorry and maybe your gut is right  :hug:

So very sad and was hoping that they may just be harmless wops.

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2007, 16:43:55 PM »
the wops all seem fairly harmless- theyre not going for blood so theyll probably work it out someday.

they are now  :( lucifers got a scratch just below his eye and hes very unhappy. hes not at all himself and its taking him longer and longer to come out of his shell after spare cats gone back to the spare room. she also runs straight for him now when the door to the spare rooms opened.

i know its early days and they were getting better but my guts telling me this isnt the right thing for either of them.  :(

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2007, 19:36:50 PM »
Question: what should i do about spare cat?

Answer: Give her a name   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2007, 11:35:33 AM »
sounds all very promising .

Have you tried feeding them next to each other ?
I have never feed the new cat away from the others.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2007, 11:11:11 AM »
Think Spare cat just wants to play and Lucifer hasnt got the idea yet but she will ,or she will just ignore him eventually  ;D

Sounds like they are getting on not too bad  ;D

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2007, 10:37:08 AM »
spare cat was trying to play with lucifers tail last night, he hissed at her (he was sitting 2 steps below her on the stairs) and she just ignores him and continues batting and lifting his tail  :rofl:
ive tried not to intervene- i did once when spare launched herself at lucifer when he was lying inbetween my feet watching her and it was more or a knee jerk reaction (literally) other than that i talk at them and theyve had the bit of ham

Franta is socially inept , hasnt got a clue except with his brother...............its like he never learnt cat language!

yep, its how it feels with these two.  i dont know how long lucifer (or spare) were with their littermates but lucifers always wrestled with me- clawless and harmlessly which i thought meant he'd been with them long enough to know that noone will want to play with you if you hurt them.  the wops all seem fairly harmless- theyre not going for blood so theyll probably work it out someday.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2007, 21:19:40 PM »
There are wops and WOPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS  :rofl: :rofl:

If you had seen the sad inefectual wops of Sasa and Misa when they first met, it was laughable.

Franta is socially inept , hasnt got a clue except with his brother...............its like he never learnt cat language!

I think they will be OK , just purrrrrrrrrrsevere  ;D

Sounds like Lucifer thinks you will continue to defend her but this may be the start of a play fight, she sounds a typical sneakiefeline to me  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2007, 18:57:17 PM »
yes you can get socially inept cats - or dogs for that matter. If they have not been accustomed to mixing with other cats since they left their litter, they will not necessarily have the necessary skills to deal with the situation and it does sound as if spare cat is doing her level best to be nice. I think the longer they can spend time together, the sooner it will be sorted, and with minimum intervention from humans :rofl: It just sets up tensions and accidentally rewards undesirable behaviours (by giving attention to that behaviour). Positive reinforcement of good behaviour and ignoring bad is the best approach unless bloodshed is threatened, in which case, of course, you would intervene.

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2007, 18:48:27 PM »
spare cat is weird about food- she'll eat infront of lucifer in the spare room but not downstairs, but it could be a territory thing? or it could be that lucifers food has been exposed to air for more than 10 seconds!!  :evillaugh:
 they had abit of ham each at either end of the room after they been good furbabies and not attacked each other and it didnt make either angry.

I know the feeling cos Franta stares at Misa and Sasa and I think he just wants to be friends and if he didnt also go meowwwwwwww at them it would be OK. He is deafish and older and feel so sorry for him but he is a little monster too  :rofl:
can u get socially inept cats? - i think they may be lucifers issue- last night spare cat chased him about 3ft, slowly, she looked to me like she was playing and she could easily have caught him but wasnt trying to, and out of nowhere lucifer rolls and hisses and goes for a wop across the face. so spare cat wopped back.  :tired: arghh ill keep trying them and see if lucifer finally catches on

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2007, 20:57:01 PM »
Glad things seem to be going well. In regards to the isolation thing, it really does depend on the cat, I struggled with Shabba, as most of the cats he was introduced to, he was fine with apart from eating, he seemed to have issues eating in front of others, until Kizzy came along, and he was fine with her. I have never really separated my permanent cats, the last two were fosters, but due to circumstances, neither was isolated for long, so they are slightly different - neither of mine care about the cats in the spare room, which is a good job.
Please spay your cat

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2007, 19:45:18 PM »
I'd say keep life as normal as possible, you need lucifer to feel that you are the same and life is the same and you don't want Spare to think she's on to a winner with treats. Treats should be earned (even if that means sitting looking at you with that  :innocent: face, always deserves rewards that one...)

Again, I'm no expert but that's what I'd do  ;D
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2007, 19:39:30 PM »
mine get very possessive about food treats. They will even growl at me!!

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2007, 19:39:15 PM »
sorry by the way for the millions of questons! and thank you for the help and advice!

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2007, 19:37:09 PM »
unfortunatly theyre little butter about food- lucifer is free fed because he only eats in little bits at a time and eats about 2/3s tin of cat food. spare cat would quite happily eat till she explodes and has frequently ended up with cat food on her head cos she can wait for me to spoon it into the bowl  :Crazy:
buuuuutttt when shes out, shell sniff lucifer bowl but doesnt  eat any.

if i give them both some ham or something nice is it likely to make them more possesive?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2007, 19:29:54 PM »
Yes definately talk to them , also have toys, get some interaction going between the 3 of you.

Put their food bowls side by side and see if they will eat together. Just try to get them to mingle while you watch  ;D

Food is a great bringer together  :shify: :shify:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2007, 19:28:22 PM »
talking is good. Hidey holes are good. Sounds like you are doing all the right things. If they are not tearing each other apart, and have escape opptions, I would be leaving them alone for short periods (say 10 minutes) but be within arms reach incase the dynamics change. Betcha if you poke a mirror round the corner they will be sniffing each other cautiously... :Luv:

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2007, 19:25:43 PM »
theres a gap of about 3/4 inch under the door, enough for them to stick their paws through and catch each others paws, which they spend alot of time doing. i tried this morning to not interfere physically- should i not talk? it seems to break the tension  but maybe just delays it?
theyve got plenty of hidy holes and high places and defendable corners if they need them

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2007, 19:10:07 PM »
well, if you are seriously considering keeping her I would - the longer time they spend together the better chance of them getting on. And minimal intervention on your part is useful as it seems to confer status on the cat who is handled, and arouses jealousy in the other. Do they have access to each other under the door you use to separate them? This is always helpful too as it avoids eye contact ...

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2007, 19:09:21 PM »
Definately mix em again to night  ;D

I know the feeling cos Franta stares at Misa and Sasa and I think he just wants to be friends and if he didnt also go meowwwwwwww at them it would be OK. He is deafish and older and feel so sorry for him but he is a little monster too  :rofl:

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2007, 19:06:41 PM »
so let them mix again tonight? for a while i mean? im guessing only while supervised until they calm down?  i cant remember where, but a site said to let them mix for gradually longer periods- so theyve got some time out- is this a wise plan?

which of them is in charge. Sounds like newbie thinks she is and Lucifer is inclined to agree.  ...

:rofl: that made me laugh, thats exactly how it feels here!
he follows her staring. i think if he wasnt doing that, she wouldnt wop him so much. but if she didnt wop him so much, he wouldnt stare at her constantly!! arghh i keep finding myself saying, "now now, play nicely-  ahem! was that really neccessary?!" and so. they must think im  :Crazy:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2007, 18:59:49 PM »
I think he was secretly enjoying it  ;D She was just pushing to see how far she could go, just testing  :rofl:

I think they will be fine and they maybe real friends very soon  ;D

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2007, 18:42:49 PM »
sounds to me like normal adult cat behaviour when confronted with a potential threat (on both their parts) and also that of two cats working out which of them is in charge. Sounds like newbie thinks she is and Lucifer is inclined to agree. Female cats tend to be more 'take charge' types than male neuters so that would be expected to some extent ...

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2007, 18:36:32 PM »
home in the evening and also there is the weekend fast approaching.

normally not a problem, one of my best friend is moving to liverpool this weekend, and my bros coming to visit at the weekend, but time booked off this morning and let them mix- much to their delight
but much chasing, much wopping, some fluffing on both sides a few hisses.
most of it was alright, but at one point spare was slowly advancing on lucifer, poor lucifer shrank back and sort of slid under the sofa. tbh she did look quite menacing and gave me the willies but she didnt actually go for him.  he warbled alot- not a chirp, what  does that mean?

i cant tell if that went well or not im so confused by it!?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2007, 18:44:49 PM »
Sounds to me that they want to be together and play and chase and have fun.......why cant you let them be together when you get home in the evening and also there is the weekend fast approaching.

I think you are right its a matter of time and they are going to meet anyway and it will be so much better if you are around to make sure they are OK.

They sound pretty desperate to be together to me  ;D

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2007, 14:17:32 PM »
couldnt yesterday, had to be at work today and yesterday as im training people!- if i'd tried to book holiday i think my poor long suffering manager would have been tipped over the edge! i keep booking time at short notice for some cat related mini-drama

ive booked tomorrow morning off though- tis the best i can do for a few weeks.

i couldnt  let them last night but spare cat keeps pinging the handle on the door while lucifer stands up to push it!!  theyve not quite coordinated it perfectly yet :evillaugh: but i think theyll be meeting soon whether i like it or not!  little monsters  :rofl:

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2007, 11:54:11 AM »
Hows it going ?

Did you go for it yesterday ?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2007, 21:53:19 PM »
Misa and Sasa had to travel next to each other for 25 miles to get here and I didnt know about CC and Wizz, who is a cat behaviourist and how you introduce cats. I think I was just lucky and they were both let out one by one and loved each other from the start.

When the birmans arrived I let them out and they headed straight for where Misa was hiding and we had a bust up straight away and I spoke to Wizz who siad they shouldnt have met before all the scaents were exchanged round the house, so I did that which took between 4-6 weeks and then I let birmans out.

The two pairs dont get on but they tollerate each other most of the time and its better than when they met the first time.

Sadly the birmans have taken over upstairs and if Misa goes up stairs he gets chased and if Ducha thinks Franta is in trouble he will attack either Misa or Sasa.....he goes for the neck and its not nice but only if he is thinking he is protecting his brother.

Ducha is my 3 legged cat and smaller than all the others and only a fraction of their weight but he is the defender and the fighter!

All cats are different and some need help to find each other before they are freinds and I think wizzs advice is good but not necessary for some cats.

ccmacey

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2007, 11:26:08 AM »
I have always let my kittens and cats mix as soon as they have been brought home, its funny to watch them getting to know each other.

I would take spare cat for a vet check before hand just to make sure she hasn't got anything Major. I took on a kitten that was not right, I think he may of had flu (?) 2 of my cats became very ill and 1 died within a week  :(

(Not saying this will happen to your cats, I'm just cautious)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2007, 10:54:15 AM »
I introduced Jaffa and Mosi almost straight away as I didn't really have room to keep them apart.  I did shut Jaffa in the bedroom when I first brought Mosi home and played with Mosi in the lving room.  But in the evening I decided to let them meet and see what happened.  Jaffa's initial response was to hiss at Mosi and Mosi hissed back (which was hysterical as he was so small.  I've never heard him hiss since).  Then they just sniffed around each other with a bit of hissing from Jaffa and not much else.  They both slept on the bed that night.  Apart from a bit of hissing from Jaffa when Mosi approached him over the next few days, they were fine.  They were fine for a couple of months and then things did deteriorate a lilttle, but I think Mosi's hormones had a lot to do with that!  As he got bigger, Mosi tried to dominate Jaffa more (and failed - my gingerbread man doesn't stand for any nonsense) and things got a bit fraught  at times (Jaffa sprayed once but it was in the heat of battle, so to speak) but never really bad.   Jaffa has never showed signs of being stressed by Mosi's presence, he just gets fed up with Mosi jumping on top of him all the time (part play and part attempt at dominance).  Jaffa just hisses at him if he doesn't want it.  Or sits on him  ;D

The point to this rambling is that sometimes you just have to let them go through the process and establish boundaries with each other. 

« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 10:55:24 AM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline tez2384

• Senior Cat
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2007, 10:15:10 AM »
thats what i thought michelle i thought i would give them a chance straight away and see what happened! They hissed and gave each other the odd pat but that has been it! There all mates now already but i feel if i hadnt of done it straight away they may not of got on so well  ;D

Offline Catcrazymum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2007, 10:11:02 AM »
I can totally sympathise as I'm having the same problem introducing my dog to my kittens!!! >:(

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2007, 10:10:41 AM »
When i got my 2 kittens last week i probably done wrong with introducng them almost straight away but they were in the cat carrier and i put them on the floor in it and let kitty sniff them and then let them out for a couple of days there was a bit of hissing and patting on the head with paws but now there good mates already!

I think you should just go for it aslong as you keep an eye on them im sure itl go fine  ;D

thats excatly how i have always done it.
I am sorry but i really feel that too much "pussy footing about" is not the right way to do it.
Why keep the apart from weeks on end ?

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2007, 10:09:30 AM »
I have to say I'm with you on this Michelle. When we first brought Smokey home, his stay was very short-lived due to the amount of critters on him and a nasty eye infection. I felt bad handing him back but we didn't have the house ready (CP let us take him straight away) and I didn't want Josh to get poorly/infested.

After two weeks, we'd had time to get ready for him, read up on all the indroduction stuff and speak to our vet (who I trust whole heartedly). It was only after speaking to the vet that it made sense. He said the cat is likely to be more distressed knowing there's someone else in his house but not being able to sort out hierachy. He said as long as you can supervise, introduce them straight away.

Of course it was hissy, it still is sometimes but Josh is the boss, no question (even if Smokey does jump on him on his way out of the litter tray).

I do believe our vet gave us sound advice as I have a secret foster also in the spare room. He was brought to me as the lady that found him didn't think he'd make it through the day. I nursed him back to some sort of strength and he's very happy but I don't think a pen at CP is the right place for him as he has many problems. Josh and Smokey both know he's there and it bothers them a bit. It's causing me quite a dilemma myself...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 10:11:30 AM by Corporal Smokey »
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline jetcleo

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Buddy & Daisy
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2007, 10:08:34 AM »
Hi i'm in exactly the same position, i'm trying to introduce a new male cat aged 4 to a female aged 3 and male aged 5.  I've been trying following wizz's advice for nearly 6 weeks now and i'm not getting anywhere.  I'm wondering whether i will ever be able to keep Ralph. 

He goes outside now but he just chases my two cats off, i don't know whether it's playing or he's being aggressive as my two manage to get away!!  When they're together in the house Ralph chases them again, his tail goes all bushy and i usually intervene before Ralph gets to the other two.  I've tried Feliway and not really noticed a difference unfortunately.  I'm home this week so i'm trying to integrate them a bit better.

The thing that worries me the most is that Jet and Cleo have changed their behaviour they are more timid and wary all the time when in the house.  Any advice is greatfully appreciated as i don't know what else to do!!

:thanks:
Always in my heart RIP Jet, Cleo, Poppy, Oscar & Sydney x

Offline tez2384

• Senior Cat
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2007, 10:03:45 AM »
When i got my 2 kittens last week i probably done wrong with introducng them almost straight away but they were in the cat carrier and i put them on the floor in it and let kitty sniff them and then let them out for a couple of days there was a bit of hissing and patting on the head with paws but now there good mates already!

I think you should just go for it aslong as you keep an eye on them im sure itl go fine  ;D

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2007, 09:52:22 AM »
If you are at home today i would go for it and let them mix.
there will prob be some hissing and even a couple of slaps but that is normal and in a way has to happen.
I do think "spare cat" has been shut away for long enough now -
Be brave and open that door !!!!!!!

ccmacey

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2007, 23:34:44 PM »
My cats have always been ok with a newbie after a couple of days, but them again I have only ever brought kittens home.

Maybe they will be ok once they get to meet properly. I would start letting her out of the room and see what happens, thats the only way your going to know.

Have you thought about names? Do you like Renie?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2007, 23:29:02 PM »
Yes that was the right point  ;D

Maybe you are being over protective and it sounds like its a game. I would set them free in the house and see what happens, my birmans are brothers aged 14yrs and have lived and slept together all their lives and they do this, one hides and the other chases and pounces, then they charge up and down stairs like lunatic elephants. Always during the night  :rofl:

If you find that they get nasty to each other then you will have to separate again and maybe think whether its a good idea but I think it sounds good and they will be OK  ;D

Link to CatChat