Author Topic: what should i do about spare cat?  (Read 11332 times)

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
Re: what should i do about spare cat?
« Reply #101 on: October 15, 2010, 23:52:14 PM »
weird blast from the past , noticed a guest reading this  :shify: which is a coincidence as i was meaning to start a thread on sparecat

Last night... woke up in the night to find spare cat (name stuck  :rofl:) asleep curled up next to lucifer on the bed. thats only the 3rd time ive ever seen them asleep together and the first time without being on my lap with stroking and cudlling to reassure lucifer  :wow: maybe they do it all the time and im just too asleep to notice!!
so everything worked out very well in the end  ;) and sparecat is still beautiful and naughty and currently asleep on my lap :Luv2:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #100 on: November 15, 2007, 22:31:37 PM »
D'you know I was thinking about names I'd like to use one day. Does anyone watch The Mitchell and Webb look when it's on?I decided I liked the name "Sir Digby Chicken Caesar!"

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #99 on: November 11, 2007, 18:14:59 PM »
Thats great its worked out   ;D   you'll need a name for her chip form tho....

You cant call her spare cat, can imagine the vets calling out can spare cat smith please come through  :rofl: :rofl:   :scared:

almost as good as when they call out lucifer !  :rofl:
is it just me that sees that as a major plus of the name spare cat??

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #98 on: November 11, 2007, 17:07:51 PM »
Thats great its worked out   ;D   you'll need a name for her chip form tho....

You cant call her spare cat, can imagine the vets calling out can spare cat smith please come through  :rofl: :rofl:   :scared:

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #97 on: November 11, 2007, 16:44:29 PM »
i hate to say i am swinging more and more towards "spare cat" being her name. or maybe "Kali spare cat". then she can be both depending on my mood... she sort of answers to both of those (ive been trying them out this week)

Kali/spare cat also has her first whole night out of her room last night. there was abit of a flap when lucifer realised she wasnt going away and i was in bed but after that they were fine.  shes alot louder than lucifer though so i didnt get alot of sleep- not vocally ( she wasnt trying to get food  :evillaugh: ) its more that when lucifer jumps onto something, hes very graceful, he sort of glides seamlessly, whereas sparecat/ Kali sort of flings herself and hopes
so there was alot of crashing and banging all night  :tired:

and i caught them both eating out of the same bowl earlier  ;D thats pretty darn good!
so... im gonna take her for microshipping etc this week i think!  :happy dance: :happy dance:

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #96 on: November 11, 2007, 08:45:54 AM »
I like the name Spare Cat  :evillaugh:

Both Lucifer and spare cat are gorgeous  :Luv2:

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #95 on: November 09, 2007, 22:17:53 PM »
Yes I know who is Lucifer, have you not read my comment in the gallery? lol

Oww they are loverly how old are they? Miss spare reminds me of someone  :'(

i thought you would but im never sure, minds not what it was!  :evillaugh:

lucifer (just in case) is about a year, we first met 5th march this year and vet said he was 7months-1 year. they put 7months on his record though and hes not grown much since then.
Spare cat- im not sure, she had clipped fur on her side and a few suture scabs so likely spayed, but shes grown alot in the last 2 months, shes bigger and stockier than lucifer but for all i know they could be the same age.  :Crazy:

Martha was Arthur Kali was Lucas 

:rofl:

ccmacey

« Reply #94 on: November 09, 2007, 21:57:29 PM »
Yes I know who is Lucifer, have you not read my comment in the gallery? lol

Oww they are loverly how old are they? Miss spare reminds me of someone  :'(

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #93 on: November 09, 2007, 21:53:14 PM »
actually, Helen, it was then that i saw the name Kali and thought it would be the ideal accompaniment to lucifer, hope you dont mind me tea-leafing it. it does suit her but i think cos i didnt choose it for her, but before i met her i feel abit mean. like it not really hers. bizarrely i feel no guilt for refering to her as spare  :evillaugh: -

Not at all, I've been trying to convince people to call their cats/children Kali since I found out Martha was Arthur Kali was Lucas  :evillaugh:  I have fur-less baby names lined up for when I have a baby and that doesn't mean that the names I've chosen are any less special just because they don't exist yet, so you can cross that off your list as a reason not to call her it  :evillaugh:

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #92 on: November 09, 2007, 21:51:11 PM »
Hey get some pics on of the gorgeous Lucifer and Miss spare too.  ;D

oooo you twisted my arm!  :evillaugh:
lucifer is the ginger and white, spare cat is the black and white lady (sorry its repeat pics from earlier down, shes quite hard to get pics of- when shes asleep shes curled up in a teeny ball, when shes awake shes running about like a loon!)

ccmacey

« Reply #91 on: November 09, 2007, 21:43:32 PM »
id been thinking of Kali before, apparently a hindu goddess of destruction and death (and rebirth) sometimes represented as a/the devil. 

Oh oh with a cat named Lucifer too  :shify: Hey get some pics on of the gorgeous Lucifer and Miss spare too.  ;D

I like the name Kyla

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #90 on: November 09, 2007, 21:36:34 PM »
id been thinking of Kali before, apparently a hindu goddess of destruction and death (and rebirth) sometimes represented as a/the devil. but its not purrfect

I was going to suggest Kali  :wow:  That was Lu's name until the vet told me that he was having gender identity issues  :evillaugh:  I think it's a very pretty name and would suit spare cat down to the ground.  There's nothing to stop her having a middle name you know, Kali Spare *insert surname*

actually, Helen, it was then that i saw the name Kali and thought it would be the ideal accompaniment to lucifer, hope you dont mind me tea-leafing it. it does suit her but i think cos i didnt choose it for her, but before i met her i feel abit mean. like it not really hers. bizarrely i feel no guilt for refering to her as spare  :evillaugh: - it promted one of my friends ( the one that has a cat named chlamydia) to say he wanted to name one of his future children "spare". then he decided it wasnt specific enough so "spare kidney", "spare heart" and  "spare liver" are the destined names of his poor children.  :rofl:

id like to point out that spare cat is in no way any sort of spare, well , cat.  :evillaugh:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #89 on: November 09, 2007, 21:27:53 PM »
I'd been thinking of Kali before, apparently a hindu goddess of destruction and death (and rebirth) sometimes represented as a/the devil.

I like the name Kali. :) One birthday I got back from being out to find a present had been posted through my window. It was from a friend of mine and was a statue of Kali. I asked him why he'd bought it me - he said "I just saw it and it made me think of you(!)" :evillaugh:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #88 on: November 09, 2007, 21:23:41 PM »
id been thinking of Kali before, apparently a hindu goddess of destruction and death (and rebirth) sometimes represented as a/the devil. but its not purrfect

I was going to suggest Kali  :wow:  That was Lu's name until the vet told me that he was having gender identity issues  :evillaugh:  I think it's a very pretty name and would suit spare cat down to the ground.  There's nothing to stop her having a middle name you know, Kali Spare *insert surname*

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #87 on: November 09, 2007, 21:21:18 PM »
Have to say I have grown to like Spare Cat as a name  ;D

I think it sounds they are getting on great and Lycifer is just being normal  :rofl:

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #86 on: November 09, 2007, 20:29:17 PM »
im tempted by mania ( the personification of insanity)
or "boo"
but im also growing to like spare cat as a name as well (even if just to raise eyebrows at the vets) im a mean slave!  :evillaugh:

they were getting on really well but last night lucifer decided he wanted to bite her- on the rump  :-: so he kept following her and trying to pull her back end around to him until eventually she decided he needed a good slap and theyre fighting abit now- mostly just exchanging wops but occasionally lucifer lets out a weird strangled meow. neither of them has a mark on them though. i think its mainly lucifer being an annoying little sod. he'll tap her repeatedly (she ignores that) then all of a sudden he'll give her this mighty wack on her side.  >:(  but he sits outside her door meowing at me to open it in the morning and when i come in from work.  :tired: i think itll be fine when he stops playing annoying little brother

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #85 on: November 09, 2007, 19:51:18 PM »
How about Pele, the volcano goddess of Hawaii 'she who shapes the land - the goddess is a passionate goddess who inspires fear and respect' ...

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #84 on: November 09, 2007, 09:06:02 AM »

But Loki is meant to be a boy.

...fair point... :evillaugh:
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2007, 22:19:55 PM »
You could call her Loki. It's the name of a Norse deity connected with fire and magic.

Loki is described on one website as "crafty and malicious, but also heroic"

Seems quite a scary character  :naughty:

But Loki is meant to be a boy.

What about  Kabibe, which means "little lady" or Pixie because she looks very michievous!

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2007, 22:00:35 PM »
Aww, glad to hear they are settling. When i am integrating fosters, I give them an hour or two in the evening for a couple of weeks, then overnight so if they create I can hear them (try and start this on a Fri night incase they are too noisy!!), then we have that for a couple of weeks, then a weekend of being out (again so I am around) all the time. One of my biggest probs is mine are allowed out, and long termers aren't for 6 weeks, hence such long intros, so I dont have too many issues with Tiger going out (have to leave the door open for her, she doesn't like it if I shut the door after she has gone out).
Please spay your cat

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2007, 17:42:27 PM »
You could call her Loki. It's the name of a Norse deity connected with fire and magic.

Loki is described on one website as "crafty and malicious, but also heroic"

Seems quite a scary character  :naughty:

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2007, 22:07:07 PM »
aww thank you, they are both beautiful  :Luv: 
spare cat is definitely cheeky... and assertive and insistent and proactive and haughty and naughty and tomboyish and playful and loud! shes very much a character

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2007, 21:52:00 PM »
Spare cat looks wonderfully cheeky  ;D

Offline jetcleo

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Buddy & Daisy
« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2007, 21:49:26 PM »
Spare cat is a cutey, what lovely markings she has.  Lucifer is lovely too  :Luv2:
Always in my heart RIP Jet, Cleo, Poppy, Oscar & Sydney x

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2007, 21:32:14 PM »
spare cat is the black and white lady. Lucifer is the ginger and white male ( in the top pic you can just about see a ginger and white back leg i think)

at the moment theyre both allowed free roam from when i get up till i go to work and from about half hour after i get in till i go to bed if im in. wondering more about when to stop seperating them when im not in - maybe try short times and build up?
im glad it sounds good, theyve had me a nervous wreck over the last month and a half!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2007, 21:15:10 PM »
Lovely cats but which one is which?  ;D

I think this sounds very good and normal  :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow:

I reckon yes you should let em mix and dont think time of day matters as long as you are around somewhere  and yes sounds like spare cat can stay, isnt that just great  ;D ;D ;D

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2007, 19:44:38 PM »
well its all looking alot more promising, theres still wrestling and fighting but i think its play now- in that lucifer will keep rolling on his back after shes backed off, neither are fluffing while wrestling, no growls or hisses and theyll get up and both have their tails up.  am i right in thinking thats all good? lucifers got his normal nature back while shes out which was my major concern!

so it looks like spare cat is staying!! :cheer: :cheer: which i can finally admit i am very happy about. :shy: i love her, not the same way as i love lucifer (shhhhh) but alot. still not sure on a name- ill give it abit untill i think of the right name for her, she deserves a special name thats just right.

so new questions for you, i have a food related problem which ive posted in health and behaviour-
 http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?topic=9285.0

and when is right for unsupervised mixing? is the first one best to be at night (so at least im there) or in the day (so theyre sleepy?) ideally id like to have time off, but i havent got enough hol left  :(
and pics of the lovely spare cat

(edited to add link which i forgot, like a fool!)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 19:45:38 PM by snarf »

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2007, 11:11:31 AM »
thanks for the support!

Snarf - i'm havin the same trouble as you with Ralph and Cleo - they keep getting closer so i start thinking great they like each other.  Then one of them will do something and they decide the war isn't over!!!  I'm dreading having children if cats are so hostile to each other!!!   :rofl:

Good luck Snarf

its enough to drive you crazy isnt it! at least with children you can reason with them and explain!

you do get some cats that have to be an only cat, they wont tolerate others full stop

i know, if it was like that it would be easier to make a decision on it, its just that lucifer has been fine with other cats, and spare cat wasnt fussed by the lady that found her cats. its more like somethings happened, that ive missed, and theyre still hung up on that. or that theyre just not speaking the same lingo
- just let spare out as ive got the day booked off and the first thing she did was go to headbutt lucifer. then lucifer follows her around trying to sniff her rear, but she wont let him (but shes not stopping him either  :-: ) then they start wrestling- could be play as theyre not fluffy and not growling but it didnt look fun??
i think part of it is that neither can resist chasing the other if theyre not watching/move to quickly

So is spare cat going to get a name?  ;D

is "spare" not a name?  :evillaugh:  erm i dont know, i had other names in mind before but im sort of used to spare cat and it still amuses me (simple minds and all that) shes usually called sweetpea or madam (or smelly) to her face tho but i dont really like those as forever names. she needs something suitably scary- shes a very scary lady. sweet but definitely she who must be obeyed, if you dont want to wake up with a horses head in your bed... :shify:

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2007, 07:52:03 AM »
Good luck with them, and sadly it isn't rare for cats to never get on, mine have lived together for over a year now and still have issues when they see each other (fortunatley through choice, one lives upstairs and one lives downstairs), you do get some cats that have to be an only cat, they wont tolerate others full stop
Please spay your cat

Offline jetcleo

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Buddy & Daisy
« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2007, 07:30:00 AM »
Snarf - i'm havin the same trouble as you with Ralph and Cleo - they keep getting closer so i start thinking great they like each other.  Then one of them will do something and they decide the war isn't over!!!  I'm dreading having children if cats are so hostile to each other!!!   :rofl:

Good luck Snarf
Always in my heart RIP Jet, Cleo, Poppy, Oscar & Sydney x

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2007, 22:06:05 PM »
 :brick:

argghh well right now, theyve just woken up (silly me moved) and comenced the chasing round the house again  :duel:

sigh. they are getting better... just not entirely all the time. they get a little fluffy when chasing but only a little- lucifer tail, spare gets a very cute mohican.  they go down quickly tho.
spare cat seems to like lying under an ikea bag on the floor (and scooting about under it!!  :rofl: ) and earlier lucifer was sitting behind her and occasionally batting her tail and when she poked her head out and glared at him he was looking at the ceiling- you could almost see him whistling and goin- what? me? nope.  :evillaugh: had me crying  was so funny

Offline zoe (tiggy + pipins mum)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2007, 21:58:22 PM »
Thats fantastic news  :hug:

How are they getting on now then?

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2007, 21:57:58 PM »
 :cheer:

So is spare cat going to get a name?  ;D
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2007, 21:51:51 PM »
ooooooooooooeeeeeeee

everyone be really really quiet!! :shoosh:

spare cat is asleep on the chair, and lucifers asleep on the back of the sofa in the same room!!! about 3foot apart!!!  eeeeeeeeeeeepppp! :yesss:

Offline tez2384

• Senior Cat
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2007, 20:04:30 PM »
well if you have left them together for a while ( ie a day) and they wont get on there is not much alternative altho it is rare that they wont get on eventually you have to get rid of spare cat, when i introduced my kittens to my cat kitty they did not like each other 1 bit to start off with but then kitty must have realised they were not a threat to her so they got along. the prob you have is that you have 2 dominant cats and they would have to work out amongst themselves who is topcat and you cant think of it on human terms and think spare cat should be thinking im on the other cats turf i must be submisive and respectfull to the other cat as a human going into someone elses house would be, if you cant think of it as two cats and not your baby and spare cat, then it would be best for you to find somewhere else for spare cat to go, but if you give spare cat to another home you have to be prepared to have her back as you cant just pass your problems onto other people, good luck

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2007, 20:02:19 PM »
I don't do homechecks myself but I'd be happy to come with you. I don't think the CP man's too far wrong with the gut feeling thing.

PM me or email if you need me. Otherwise, cat's basket at 9pm in the Blue team please  ;)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2007, 19:46:25 PM »
Hmmm not very helpful grrrrr.................I wish they would just get on too then problem would be solved..........sigh

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2007, 19:43:36 PM »
finally got through to the cp today (theyre only open 11-3 for calls at the shelter) the man there said that they woud have to take her in to rehome her but they have a waiting list of over 200 cats. he said hed advise me to home check myself and that basically id get a feel for it and if i felt id let them look after my cat then its ok. and to go through things like insurance, hol plans etc.
which all sort of assumes that i look after my cat correctly   :shify:

im gonna try some of the independant rescues tomorrow to see if they can help.
 if not whats the thoughts on this? can anyone give me some more black and white advice? or is there anyone in notts/derby that can homecheck and would be willing to help? its a big responsibility for little me  :scared:
it would all be soooo much better if theyd just get on arghhhhhhhh  >:(

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2007, 18:05:33 PM »
I think you'd have to sign her over to CP for them to homecheck people, as their resources are limited. Its the best way of finding a good home for her.
You could then send the people who responded to her advert to the CP and if they are suitable then they will get her.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2007, 18:00:38 PM »
Time to give her name and then I would go with Millys idea and try ringing CP and offer to foster her till she gets a home, then they will do the home check.

As Milly says if in the mean time anything changes with Lucifer and her, you can always tell Cp she now has a forever home  ;D

Link to CatChat