Author Topic: indoor cat  (Read 5701 times)

Offline tryme

• Adult Cat
Re: indoor cat
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2010, 20:26:14 PM »
ok thank you for your feedback and input guys. i will keep you posted.

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2010, 18:22:19 PM »
Good news about mum cat.

Like you say, at least she will be getting a new home with you guys and can share your attention with the baby of course.

I don't think anyone will be mad at you for giving a kitten a home and if you need anymore help or advice then please feel free to ask and also feel free to post pics of the new addition too :)
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline tryme

• Adult Cat
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2010, 16:30:28 PM »
As far as i know mum has been spayed now.

This is what im tryin to say this cat will get a much better life living with me then it would with the mum and other cats which she could not find loving homes for as i know there is at least 2 more looking for homes.

I am considering letting the cat out when i am home or at least go out with the cat bit strange i know but i can keep an eye on him then at least as this is a private area no roads (except past the barrier which he wont be near). Either that or the kitty harness/lead.

Also like mentioned i can afford the jabs and general maintance stuff etc but if any serious illnesses do occur i will need pdsa at least for the time being.

Hope people arent too mad at me. Also bare in mind its me and my partner so kitty whill get attention and love that he needs. I wouldnt dream of getting an animal if i thought it would suffer!

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2010, 09:37:42 AM »
I'll give you my opinion  ;D

I think it's fine to get a kitten and keep him/her indoors.   Jaffa has been an indoor cat whithout a whiff of the outdoors (well I guess he gets a whiff when he goes to vet/cattery in his carrier!) for 13 years and imo he's a happy lad.  Yes, he is missing out on the great oudoors, but few cats have the perfect life and cats are pretty adaptable.  It has required more committment than having an indoor/outdoor cat though as he's been totally reliant on me to provide a satisfactory level of stimulation and exercise.  I don't have any children and haven't had a live in partner (other than the odd weekend) whilst I've had him.  So I've been able to devote a large amount of attention to him.  I would question whether you could provide that with a baby to care for also.  Not saying you can't, but it would be very hard so something to think about carefully.  If you're convinced you will be able to care for both a baby and an indoor cat, then fine - you know yourself best.

I also think it's fine to take on this little kitten.  Rescue or not, this is a kitten that needs a home - somebody needs to provide it.

As far as money is concerned, I think peeps have made valid points.  There's a difference between using the pdsa for treatment for a cat that you already have and actually acquiring one knowing you will have to use the pdsa.  If you can afford basic maintenance and would only use the pdsa for emergencies or unexpected illness, than that's fine in my book.  But if you will need to use the pdsa for more routine care, then I would hold off until you can afford that yourself.

On the vaccination front - you will need to get the first set of vaccinations, and I would recommend getting a booster the following year.  Following that, I'm not convinced you need to vaccinate every year with an indoor cat.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2010, 08:27:58 AM »
You can still insure and not vaccinate regularly. The insurance company just won't cover any illnesses treatable by vaccinations unless you are following vet recommendations.

But yes both parts of kitten vaccinations are needed and any other vaccination thing needs to be thoroughly researched and spoken to a vet about.

Not trying to throw a spanner in the works here ... But I don't vaccinate my pets every year, or for life and they are always insured. I should add that I do have the approval of my vet.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2010, 00:36:02 AM »
I understand everybodys concern I really do. I will more than likely be paying for my cat to be neutered privately or paying for it onm the pdsa (it's not free as thomas and sugar were done there and we did pay) I will also get the first jabs done, will second be neccessary with an indoor cat? if so they will be done to. Wormer will also be done and I will use spot on frontline stuff also.

The cat could go out as the area is ok but we are second floor and the door doesnt open its self (downstairs its a private block with telecom thing) which would mean we would have to let cat out then keep an eye out for when cat wants to come back in. My partner was thinking of getting a cat lead but i dont approve of those.

Regular vaccinations are essential if you wish to insure. Would you mind explaining the point of this thread? You asked if it was cruel to keep a kitten indoors but it is obvious you have made up your mind?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 00:36:35 AM by Fire Fox »
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2010, 00:33:52 AM »
The first vaccination is in two parts so she would need both for it to be effective. If she is going to be indoor only then you can miss out the felv part of the vaccine. I have all my three vaccinated but do not vaccinate against felv because it can only be passed from other cats. The other nasties can be brought in the house by us which is why indoor cats still need vaccinating, as well as flea and worming.

I know someone who is in a similar flat set up to you and she let's her cat out at certain times when she is home and then she either goes out to get him back in or he meows outside her window and she goes down to let him in. Whilst not ideal, a cat harness could be a solution and if you get her trained on it from a kitten she would get used to it.

I don't envy you with the litter tray inside and a toddler but I'm sure you will find a way around it...maybe keep the tray in the bathroom? My trays are out in the cats outdoor pen.

Its not impossible and I'm sure it will work if you want it to. If you get familiar with this site you will fully understand peoples reactions to your posts. Please do feel free to ask for advice at anytime...it is all given with the cats best interests at heart.

Again, please urge your relative to get the mum cat neutered ASAP because there will be more and more kittens. Again if you go through this site you will see how bad the overpopulation problem is already without even more being added!
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator

Offline tryme

• Adult Cat
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2010, 23:18:09 PM »
I understand everybodys concern I really do. I will more than likely be paying for my cat to be neutered privately or paying for it onm the pdsa (it's not free as thomas and sugar were done there and we did pay) I will also get the first jabs done, will second be neccessary with an indoor cat? if so they will be done to. Wormer will also be done and I will use spot on frontline stuff also.

The cat could go out as the area is ok but we are second floor and the door doesnt open its self (downstairs its a private block with telecom thing) which would mean we would have to let cat out then keep an eye out for when cat wants to come back in. My partner was thinking of getting a cat lead but i dont approve of those.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2010, 22:55:41 PM »
Personally I would be reluctant to get a purely indoor cat in a small property with a baby.  My two cats were previously given to a rescue because their former owner had a baby and the cats could not cope with being 'trapped' in a property with a young child that they did not have the space to get away from.  As soon as the baby started toddling they became highly stressed and took to hiding beneath cupboards etc, only coming out for food then bolting back away again.  That's no life for a cat, and sensibly (as the lady lived in a high-rise so could not let them out) she gave them to a rescue.  They came out of their shells relatively quickly after we adopted them, but it still took a good 2 years before they would hang around whenever we had visitors, and they still leg it at the first sight of a child.

So while I'm not going to get involved in arguments about indoor cats, kittens, vets bills, who wants what etc, I would say please think very carefully before bringing a cat into a limited size indoor situation with a baby, as you could easily end up with a very stressed and unhappy cat.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 22:56:43 PM by fluffybunny »

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2010, 22:50:06 PM »
Please tryme just seriously consider everything very carefully before taken on this kitten. If you do take her on then please get him/her neutered when they are 6 months to prevent anymore unwanted litters. Please also ensure him/her has their first course of injections plus flea and worm treatment. These initial items in the first 6 months could cost in excess of £100 so maybe you could put aside £10 a month to donate to PDSA. Also please urge your relative to get her female neutered ASAP to prevent more kittens. This really needs to be done before mum cat is let outside again cos she could get pregnant very quickly. If your relative is unable to afford neutering then Cats Protection or RSPCA should be able to help out with a neutering voucher.
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2010, 22:46:12 PM »
I wanted a cat for years. I had a one-bed flat and was at work all day and used to go out 5 nights a week so waited until I could afford somewhere bigger with outside space. The main reason for me getting a garden flat was because I wanted a cat. Then came Kylie  :Luv2: - it coincided with me getting bored with going to the west-end nearly every night.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 22:47:56 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2010, 22:43:04 PM »
I'm for indoor...as long as the cats are happy. I only got into indoor because of Bourneville (all my family cats have been outdoor) but for selfish reasons I am now for indoor because I know my furbabies are safe...cannot get runover, put in wheelie bins, hurt by yobs and other horrible things that we hear about everyday. I know we can't wrap them in bubble wrap but I also can't teach my cats road safety and stranger danger.

Its just difficult because on here we here of so many cats being rehomed due to new baby, new landlord not allowing cat, kitten growing up and not being as cute etc etc. We also know how ridiculously stretched rescues and charities are without even more people leaning on their resources. I personally believe that you shouldn't have a pet if you cannot afford to care and provide for it properly yourself (obviously circumstances can and do change but that is not the case here)
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2010, 22:32:57 PM »
But Den you don't have a new born baby nor rely on pdsa to pay for vet treatment and being the sensible lady you are didn't just get Memphy on a whim cos he was free cos your family member couldn't "get rid" of an unwanted litter??

Ooo no and yes! He was free (as was his neutering, microchip and vaccination). I was working at his rescue and they wouldn't let me pay for him. Although, if we are being technical, he cost a bottle of bubbly and a box of chocolates. In the grand scheme of things for me, he was a whim .. I had no intentions of ever owning a cat. That is until he came along, I fell hopelessly in love and just HAD to have him. He had my name written all over him. Very selfish on my part there.

I know that's not what you mean but it's really dis-heartening reading comments which are rather negative about single, healthy, indoor, kittens.

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2010, 22:14:46 PM »
I have 3 indoor cats who have complete access to everywhere in my two bed house (and I mean everywhere) they also have 24 hour access to an outdoor enclosure. I rehomed Bourneville from Cats Protection...he had to be an indoor cat because of health issues. We built him the pen, got him lots of toys etc but he still got bored so we rehomed Marble as a playmate for him and early this year we rescued Soap from a person who got her on a whim as a kitten and because she was to active and naughty she kept Soap locked in a pantry cupboard most of the time. I didn't plan to take on Soap and could have quite easily gone to CP or RSPCA (stating that I picked her up as a stray) for neutering vouchers to get her neutered. But no...I forked out the 55 quid for her initial jabs and the 85 quid to get her neutered. She then gets fed the same higher end cat food as my other two, is insured at the cost of around 6 quid a month...litter, wormer, booster jabs...the list goes on. PDSA aren't a never ending resource for everybody to use.
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2010, 22:09:26 PM »
no Den, not at all. for me my answer was more about a few of the other points not what you have said.

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2010, 22:04:03 PM »
But Den you don't have a new born baby nor rely on pdsa to pay for vet treatment and being the sensible lady you are didn't just get Memphy on a whim cos he was free cos your family member couldn't "get rid" of an unwanted litter??
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2010, 21:59:10 PM »
Lets see. I have a .....

Rescue cat
Got as a kitten
Is single cat
Is indoor only
Is in perfect health

I guess that makes me not very welcome here as I have clearly being doing a lot wrong and he must be suffering terribly.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2010, 21:37:11 PM »
I must admit the thought of a normal healthy cat with all its faculties living for perhaps 18 years or more without a sniff of the world outside makes me rather sad

Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2010, 21:31:55 PM »
I share Sharon's slant on indoor cats. There are plenty that have to be indoor for various reasons so it is a shame to deny a healthy cat the possibility of a garden to play in. (I am 100% against cats being allowed in the street though)
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Ellen2010

• Distinguished Cat
  • Sophie 9/93 - 3/10/11 Play hard my little angel
  • Slave to: Timmy, Baby, Danita, Tia, Miffy and Domino
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2010, 21:01:41 PM »
Ok my slant on this there are plenty of kittens in rescue that also need homes so why not offer one of them a home.  In my area it is Blue Cross and is very similar to PDSA and although I am on benefit hate using the Blue Cross not because of the care that they give but because I would rather go without myself to provide.

The only reason my youngest is under them is that I had just paid out £100 for blood tests for my old cat to the vets and then the day before my youngest became ill paid out £78 for the same cats medication and with having indoor cats had just got the months supply of cat litter £31.50 which is 60ltr weight of cat litter, so in 2 weeks paid out £239.50.  Before taking on a cat or kitten work out whether you can afford it. In 6 months I fork out just for cats and not including food, innoculations or any emergencies £844, you need to ask yourself can you afford this.  As you can not guarenttee that you will have a cat that does not get medical problems until it is old.
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2010, 20:45:24 PM »

I think you missunderstood i was just saying that if it was a choice between kitten and old cat with fiv i would go for the kitten thats what i meant by cruel, sorry for the mix up there!

Lastly, what is wrong with using the pdsa as a temporary solution it doesnt make you a bad person its what they are there for you do pay for your treatment and give donations so whats the big deal?

I didn't misunderstand anything, you are backtracking as that is not what cruel means. There are kittens who need to remain indoors for their health, kittens that are deaf, partially sighted, three legged, FIV, FeLV .... I don't think you know what you are letting yourself in for, a cooped-up kitten with too much energy is no playmate for a baby.

No reputable rescue would home a single healthy kitten to your circumstances. Kittens have little accidents, hooded litter trays are no guarantee you won't have a stressed kitten soiling inappropriately or plucking his own fur.  Many cats prefer to poop and pee in separate trays, some won't use a tray with even one wee in, some neutered males still spray urine. Read the 'Health & Behaviour' board if you don't believe me!

You would know what the big deal was if you took the time to read around this website, many of the regulars are exhausted to the point of tears and broke by giving generously of themselves, so selfish people can choose to take on a pet they cannot afford and because selfish people can't be bothered to neuter. I do not look down on anyone who is in need of benefits or charitable support, I have been there myself during 2010: I look down on people who milk the system. If you seriously think your tiny donation is sufficient to pay for the care given by the PDSA you are deluded.  :rofl:

As I said this is a living creature not a Playstation.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 20:49:25 PM by Fire Fox »
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2010, 20:03:39 PM »
No that is not what the PDSA are there for. They are not a government benefit agency for animal care. They are to be used as an emergency solution for existing animal owners whose circumstances change. Not for someone who wants to get a kitten (because its going for free and their family member irresponsible bred it) but can't quite afford to one right now so will lean on the PDSA for the time being despite the PDSA themselves being massively overstretched.
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2010, 20:01:12 PM »
The fact is althought it may be cruel we want a kitten as we want to se it growe etc. we wasnt even considering getting a cat until my partners cousin said she had a litter and is struggling to find homes.

We have already brought loads, a new bed, 2 new cermaic bowls, loads of toys and we will be getting one of those litter trays this is enclosed wiht the swinging door and a big activity thing which will have scratch posts etc.

If you don't care whether it is cruel and you are definitely getting the kitten, what was the purpose of this thread? :rofl: Nobody has said it is cruel, in fact many clearly stated that we have indoor cats ourselves! This is a living creature not a new Playstation, we are trying to help you make responsible and informed decisions instead of reverting to "I want".

I think you missunderstood i was just saying that if it was a choice between kitten and old cat with fiv i would go for the kitten thats what i meant by cruel, sorry for the mix up there!

Also thomas was my cat (he sadly died) felix was my sisters and she couldnt take him when she moved out and felix was about 2 years old by then and she wasnt allowed pets at her boyfriends flat. Sugar was or is my girlfriends but we left her at my mums as my mum fell in love with her and it would break her heart if we took her away now. Also sugar and felix are so used to going out doors it wouldnt be fair to suddenly stop that.

Lastly, what is wrong with using the pdsa as a temporary solution it doesnt make you a bad person its what they are there for you do pay for your treatment and give donations so whats the big deal?

Oh please, are you for real?. You shouldn't be getting a cat because they can offer the free treatment. That is not a reason! Leave the resource for the people who perhaps had a cat and then lost their job or ended up on housing/countil tax benefit after they got their pet and needed it. If you can't afford to do the basic stuff like neuter and vaccinate your cat you shouldn't be considering being an owner. You shouldn't be forward planning to use them!
The PDSA stands for People's Dispensary for Sick Animals    not day to day care, even tho they offer it. if you can't afford to do the basics you shouldn't be embarking on what could be an 18 year expense with something that is alive!

Your mum has ended up with at least two cats cos circumstances have changed.

I might be in the minority here but sorry I think your reasons are wrong.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 20:05:43 PM by Si, Ella & Effie »

Offline tryme

• Adult Cat
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2010, 19:41:42 PM »
The fact is althought it may be cruel we want a kitten as we want to se it growe etc. we wasnt even considering getting a cat until my partners cousin said she had a litter and is struggling to find homes.

We have already brought loads, a new bed, 2 new cermaic bowls, loads of toys and we will be getting one of those litter trays this is enclosed wiht the swinging door and a big activity thing which will have scratch posts etc.

If you don't care whether it is cruel and you are definitely getting the kitten, what was the purpose of this thread? :rofl: Nobody has said it is cruel, in fact many clearly stated that we have indoor cats ourselves! This is a living creature not a new Playstation, we are trying to help you make responsible and informed decisions instead of reverting to "I want".

Also thomas was my cat (he sadly died) felix was my sisters and she couldnt take him when she moved out and felix was about 2 years old by then and she wasnt allowed pets at her boyfriends flat. Sugar was or is my girlfriends but we left her at my mums as my mum fell in love with her and it would break her heart if we took her away now. Also sugar and felix are so used to going out doors it wouldnt be fair to suddenly stop that.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 19:47:18 PM by tryme »

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2010, 19:23:22 PM »
In answer to your question No you shouldn't get a kitten. Your family member shouldn't be selling them to anyone, kittens shouldn't be a sideline to income and should only imho be sold by registered breeders or rescues. They should have got their cat netuered and then they wouldn't be offering them out to relatives who hadn't been considering getting a cat for free.   :Crazy:

You want a kitten to see it grow. Well they don't grow for very long and then they are adults, then what? It sounds like you have already had cats that your parents now have and as you couldn't offer them forever homes perhaps taking on another isn't a good idea. When you got those cats it was a commitment, you couldn't honour that commitment so you shouldn't be even thinking of getting another, just cos a free one is available.

Just because you CAN get PDSA doesn't mean you should take advantage of it. Have a look at their website they are looking for funding from donations, wills and a shop to raise funds for cats and owners that need it. Why taking their funds? Perhaps the PDA's funds would be better applied for people whose circumstances changed after they got their animal. Like redundancy or ill health. Perhaps if your circumstances are changing and you won't need the PDSA you should wait till then. I'd love a Ferrari but I can't afford one.

Having an indoor cat can work but I would suggest you get an indoor CAT than needs a home rather than a kitten. especially when you have a baby. A young kitten and a baby are demanding. plus in the future your housing circumstances might change. This landlord might be happy for you to have a cat, your next may not and you need to think past the kitten stage.

The fact your cousin is struggling to find home for the kittens should tell you that rehoming is a problem and the fact you never wanted a kitten or cat till then makes me think that you shouldn't be getting one. I planned and wanted a cat for ages before getting Ella and Effie, it was a conscious and informed decision and not because I knew someone that had a kitten. At first my decision was to have them as indoor cats, although that changed so I don;t have a problem with indoor cats but everything in your post other than that makes me say no..

Sorry you asked for an opinion and my personal opinion is this isn't the right time for you to get a kitten and this is a living, breathing animal you are talking about. I know this will come across rude and I am sorry but your  slant on getting this cat comes across being quite naive and actually selfish and there is too much wrong with what you are saying for me to smile happily and say "oooh yes get the cute little kitty"

« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 19:31:06 PM by Si, Ella & Effie »

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2010, 16:50:36 PM »

« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 16:52:15 PM by Fire Fox »
Lulu's Catbook

Offline tryme

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2010, 16:25:54 PM »

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2010, 15:57:23 PM »
I am employed but on a low income and partner is on maternity leave there for pdsa is not a long term solution.

we have a few things already left over from thomas felix and sugar as they are out door cats now (minus thomas :()

I can understand people are concerned but i think it will work out its a reletively large 2 bed flat with alot of ground space.

Also just to clarify we are allowed pets you have to inform dominion but it is ok and we will talk to them first.

If you do get a kitten and use the PDSA for an emergency, that health problem will be un-insurable thereafter. So if the kitten gets the runs, any digestive problem will be down to you to fund thereafter and vet bills can run to thousands of pounds. Why not just wait a few months until you can afford routine care and pet insurance? An indoor cat will often need more expensive solo play toys and large cat tree or you could find your furniture getting destroyed. Don't forget you will need litter trays that your baby cannot access when they start to crawl, and that your partner should not be cleaning a tray if she gets pregnant again.

Also if you plan to go away on holiday you will need to find the extra expense for a cattery or live-in sitter, as it is not fair to leave an indoor cat with just feeding visits. I will hold my hands up and say that was something I didn't properly consider  :-[ an indoor cat is more like the responsibility of a dog in that respect. Having said all that, Noah is worth every penny and I think it's great you have posted here rather than just seeing cute kitten and saying yes. :hug:
Lulu's Catbook

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2010, 14:00:02 PM »
My Hobbes is indoors only because I live right next to a busy A road and he is perfectly happy but I do make the effort to play with him and spend time with him and he has loads of toys etc. My bridge baby Dylan had been a stray living outdoors but became an indoor boy once I got him at about 4 years old, he never wanted to go outside either - think he took the attitude of no thanks, been out there and I don't like it  :rofl:

My other two cats now sadly at the bridge were indoors only too and I had no problems. So it can be done but you do need to make sure you provide a stimulating environment for them and have the time to spend with them. Also be careful with feeding as they put on weight easily (except Hobbes who spends so much time running around he burns it all off  :rofl:). Adopting an FIV positive cat is a great idea though  ;D

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Billy and Zarny (Benji, Fred and Ginger, gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2010, 11:23:48 AM »
would you consider a cat that needs to be kept indoors rather than choosing to keep one as an indoor cat?
I have my Benji and he is FIV positive so needs to be kept indoors, which is why I got him as I live right by a motorway and although there are cats round here, I could not take that risk. He is 6 years old so fairly sedate but he does have his mad playing moments but seems to cope well with being an indoor only cat.

Jen and Benji

:)
...pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again...

Offline Millies mum

• Senior Cat
  • ice baby
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 10:22:10 AM »
I have 4 cats my female practically lives outside she comes home for food then back out again but  keep her in if its bad weather, my tabby is a night cat and sleeps in bed all day, i have a 3 month old kitten he will be allowed out when he is old and wise enough and then i have a persian who is a house cat but he tries his hardest to go out the door for a nose.I think he is so bored in the house although he has toys and the kitten to play with i know he would love to play outside and it makes me feel so guilty to have to shy him away from the door and he looks out of the window at the other cats outside  :'(

Offline tryme

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 14:57:32 PM »
felix was my sisters cat she lives with her bf in a flat no pets allowed so my mum kept him as it was my mum who got him along with thomas (they wer brothers)

sugar was my girlfriends cat which she couldnt keep at her mums house as the dog kept chasing her etc so she ended up staying with my mum and shes really happy there plus it would break my mums heart if i took her away now!

I am employed but on a low income and partner is on maternity leave there for pdsa is not a long term solution.

we have a few things already left over from thomas felix and sugar as they are out door cats now (minus thomas :()

I can understand people are concerned but i think it will work out its a reletively large 2 bed flat with alot of ground space.

Also just to clarify we are allowed pets you have to inform dominion but it is ok and we will talk to them first.

Offline Ellen2010

• Distinguished Cat
  • Sophie 9/93 - 3/10/11 Play hard my little angel
  • Slave to: Timmy, Baby, Danita, Tia, Miffy and Domino
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 13:34:45 PM »
Many of the charities such as PDSA and Blue Cross now say if you can afford to take on a rescue then you should use private vets rather than their services.

Many years ago I did use the PDSA after buying a kitten from a market stall as it was the nearest veterinary centre to the market and only bought the kitten to get it medical help as it had cat flu.  Luckily the kitten pulled through but never grew bigger than a kitten of around 8 weeks old and I had it for a couple of years before it died due to the strains of being so little in size, but the PDSA got the RSPCA involved and they removed all the other kittens from the stall as they carried the risk of having contracted cat flu also and others were also showing signs of cat flu.  Yes I bought the poorliest of all the kittens.

At the moment my youngest cat is under the Blue Cross but the medication he is on for his FLUTD I purchase myself for him and the Blue Cross is happy with this as it saves them money and know I will only get prescription only medication from them such as any antibiotics and always leave a donation.  The only reason he was taken there was that my older cat had just had her annual tests for her medical conditions and had just ordered her medication for 3 months.
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 12:59:27 PM »
thomas sadly died when iwas still at my parents house although felix and sugar are still there and doing well.

my landlord used to live here as he owns the flat (obviously) and he had a cat here too and yes we are allowed pets.
the flat is on the 2nd floor and is cat poof and yes we can arfford vet bills as we are on the pdsa.

Is your cousin aware that the queen can fall pregnant again very quickly after having a litter? CP may be able to help with neutering if she cannot afford it.

I am not comfortable with the idea of keeping cats indoors unless there is a good reason - I have my own flat and adopted a cat who has a health issue that the vet advised he should not go out. Have you considered adopting an elderly cat, one that is deaf or has FIV? A sedate adult cat is likely to be more suited to being cooped up with a baby than a boisterous kitten. Indoor cats need to be played with far more than outdoor cats - I have spent a small fortune in Purrs shop!  :rofl:

Just because your landlord had a cat does not mean that this is permitted in the long lease - if it is not, all you need is for a complaint to be made about noise or smells and the management company can ask you to remove your cat. I heard of a case where the complaint was about a dog in another apartment but the MC applied the 'no pets' covenant in the lease to all residents.  :scared: Also consider how easy it will be to find pet-friendly accommodation when you move: many cats handed over to rescue are due to this.

Lastly I am concerned that you cannot afford vets bills without charitable support - the PDSA is there to help those whose circumstances have changed, not those who take on a pet knowing they could not afford vets bills. Like most charities they are really struggling at present. There is also food, litter, neutering, toys, vaccinations, worming and flea treatment to consider - you do still need to deflea an indoor cat as I know from personal experience!  :sick: Have you considered getting pet insurance? I only pay £7.50 a month for Noah with AXA which are widely considered to have the best cover. Most insurers do insist that annual vaccinations have been carried out and this won't cover routine checks or dental work.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 13:00:55 PM by Fire Fox »
Lulu's Catbook

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 12:36:11 PM »
I have kept Chilli and Dave as indoor only before and they were perfectly happy but needed lots of stimulation as others have said. If you are on a limited income then it could be difficult to get together all the bits and pieces required to give them a good start as indoor only cats.

To be honest though, while reliant on the PDSA I wouldn't want to take on any new pets. It is a charitable organisation and with things as they are at the moment will be under incredible strain from those forced into having to use them due to unavoidable circumstances (redundancy etc). They should be used, only in my opinion, for those who absoluely have to and not as a long term solution for those bringing new pets into the house while on benefits.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I was unemployed for several months myself last year and had to use them once but I made a donation probably equivalent to most of a consultation with a normal vet and went without for over a week. It wasn't easy! This is why I have such a strong opinion on the PDSA and how they should be used.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 12:18:38 PM »
I have 2 cats and live in a small one bed flat.  They are fine indoors but do require a lot of play and stimulation, esp His Mosiness.

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 12:15:01 PM »
Hiya

How big is the flat hun?  If it's a small one bed then to be honest to keep a single cat indoor all the time for all of it's life wouldn't be very nice. One indoor cat would need a hell of alot of play time and attention so ya need to weigh up how much time you can give to the cat and baby as well. It's why two are better than one for indoor cats as they help to amuse each other but still need lots of playtime with you to have a full life and not get bored.  Boredom does lead to behavioural probs like peeing, scratching and if this happens in with a new baby about, i can see you having quite a few probs.
A small flat is ok if they are allowed outside as they can use alot of their energy and mind stimulation out there :)
If you have a large flat with ample space and lots of cat stuff trees, play things etc then it can work but still they need alot of attention to stop any boredom and behavioural issues. There two are def better than one. :)

I presume Felix and Sugar are at ya mum's as they are outside cats?

Has ya friend managed to have her girl spayed?  :)  If she can't cope with these kittens she will be having many more if her girl isn't "done". I would think she can get neutering voucher for her form her local CP to help with the cost.

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 10:09:35 AM »
wouldn't it be better to have felix and sugar back? I thought they were your cats?

Offline tryme

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 10:05:05 AM »
ok well i dont know about two we had 3 at my mums and it was manic lol its hard to keep an eye on all the attempted escapies

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie, Poppy, Wordy and Ollie. RIP Bridge Baby Harry. x
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 08:10:08 AM »
Hi, we rescued 2 older kittens last year while we were living in a large 2 bed flat. They were fine, played a lot, and loved the wooden floors for skidding around on.
We have moved now to a place with a garden and they love it, but they only go out with supervision into the garden. On the days that it rains and they won't go out they revert back to playing with their toys.

I guess what I'm saying is that My 2 were fine. :)

Nicky

Link to CatChat