Author Topic: Question for those of you without a cat flap  (Read 5014 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Question for those of you without a cat flap
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2008, 22:24:19 PM »
oh right  :rofl: :rofl:

took me ages to get round to it too lol

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2008, 22:23:12 PM »
I have got one but haven't got round to fitting it.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2008, 22:18:23 PM »
why dont you have a cat flap?

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2008, 22:16:32 PM »
OK so he got the hang of asking to come in, he's struggling with the getting out though.  He's tried manic wailing to no avail so had to resort to trying to turn the key in the lock  :evillaugh:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2008, 12:07:08 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl:

I used to have a swiss cowbell, a small one hanging on a tassle from kitchen door. The idea was that Kocka banged it when she wanted to come in so I could keep the door shut and stop the drafts but she just wouldnt  :rofl:

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2008, 11:43:14 AM »
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2008, 11:23:02 AM »
When my cats used to go out regularly I used to leave the window open for them in the kitchen but if we were out for the day, I would get them all in until we came home.  Most of my cats are now indoor so the odd ones only get let out at certain times but if it's raining or extremely windy like today, they are not allowed.  I now only let them out via the back door but there is always someone here to let them in again if need be.  Sally will wail like a banshee at my front window if she wants to come in but she's the type once in she wants to go out and vice versa  :tired:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2008, 08:27:38 AM »
I am lucky this winter that I dont have any cats that want to go out - but when I do, I sit and freeze!! I generally have cats that dont like the door being shut, so it isn't, and I sit with a blanket over me. There is generally a cut of of 9pm though, although Rolo often demanded to go out later than that last year - he was always told just for 10 mins, but often didn' listen. I found that males were much worse at going out later and staying out, I have really only had one female that wanted to go out after 7pm and she only ever stayed out for 10 mins, the rest have all been rather sensible - although the current two take it a bit far, they dont leave my room, much less go downstairs and ask to go out!!
Please spay your cat

Offline nessa (A C S )

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
  • Kai David 11/02/09
    • Animal Care Society (Cork)
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2008, 02:19:15 AM »
I dont have a cat flap as none of the cats here go out...........The reason being is over the yrs I have lost too many cats. The last cat that used to come and go as he pleased was Blacky sadly blacky came back one day a dog got a hold of him and he ended up with a discolated hip I was out at the time but my son told me they had to beat the dog of the cat while the owner was only laughing he spent 2 nights in the vets and then cage rest for nearly 2mths we swore then that he was going to be a totaly indoor cat...My brother thought I was being cruel and left him out for a run but blacky came back a few hrs later with a shredded paw....we rushed to the vets it was a long wait to see if the paw could be healed he was left with horraible scars....I put my foot down after that and said that he was never going out again this worked out for months until I took in a foster dog blacky hated dogs someone had left the utility room window open so the dog came in one door and blacky shot out the window.....he did come as far as the window to be fed for a few weeks but would not come in the house one evening he didnt come home and we never seen him since that was Feb2006 I still look for my little man who was with me since he was a few days old, I would love to have closure be he with someone else or gone to kitty heaven :(
Some day I hope that I can afford to have a safe kitty run out my back again but until then my cats will remain in doors safe and sound :Luv2:
annefitz@animalcaresociety.ie
http://www.animalcaresociety.ie/

My grandson Kai David McMahon Fitzgerald Butler was born on the 11/02/09 at 5.03pm weight 8lb 14ozs

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2008, 23:06:09 PM »
 :rofl:

Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2008, 18:06:33 PM »
My lot are generally kept in (4 panic if the door shuts) simon likes to go out when its chilly but he has a kennel out there too, i always check for him regularly incase he has changed his mind again.

If its cold but dry then i leave the door open and just get cold  :tired:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2008, 21:53:09 PM »
Great pictures  ;D

I do have a cat flap so they makes their own choice and last night we had sudden torrential rain with wind. The noise was terrible!

However, thought the cats were in but no, when it stopped in trooped Misa and Sasa and they were hardly wet  :shify: :shify: I suspect the old greenhouse as a shelter cos knows Sasa goes in there!

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2008, 20:42:23 PM »
Lucas is adorable and catnappable - all at the same time  ;)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2008, 20:00:14 PM »
Love those pics - specially the last one!  :evillaugh:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2008, 18:02:15 PM »
Lucas will be safely inside at 3pm ish tomorrow thank you very much Gwen  :evillaugh:  Yes please to the offer of a furry NFC coat, Lu says can he have some of Pinball's fluff as he's always fancied having white bits  ;D

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2008, 17:26:27 PM »
Awwww Lucus how mean of your Mummy to shut you out with your short little coat, after seeing your huge eyes in that bottom pic the Team have offered to send you down some of their coats as a winter jacket so you are toasty when your mean Mummy doesn't let you in.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2008, 17:21:45 PM »
OMG that last picture  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2008, 17:21:01 PM »
Aww LuLu thats terrible of your mum to ignore you,be outside tomorrow 3pmish and aunty Gwen will be there to rescue you ;)
Love me,love my animals.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2008, 17:14:03 PM »
Lu has got the hang of 'asking' to be let in...

Mum, can I come in please

Err, hello

Mum  :-:

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2008, 17:00:38 PM »
We don't have a flap but are instructed by Summer first thing on a morning to open the back door whatever the weather.  She does go out but only tends to stay out for about ten minutes, Skye loves the rain and stays out for lot longer.  Smartie won't venture out unless its a nice day.

Back door always open during daylight, house always cold, heating always blasting!  But hey, the cats are happy  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2008, 16:51:04 PM »
When you have a 17lb Bengal thretening to put his bum down  on the carpet and another 15lb Bengal bawling like a banshee, then I let them out. if they want to snuggle by the rad they do. whatever they want they get.  :Luv:

I am sick of getting up to let them out - then 5 mins later back in again, and remembering where Thai is.

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2008, 16:01:50 PM »
Why is it I have visions of you installing a little doorbell for them to ring when they want to come back inside so you can open the door for them  :rofl: :rofl:

Because if Helen could, she would  :rofl:

We too have no cat flap but a window with security open for Blip to go in and out as she pleases throughout the day.  She walks out of it onto the window ledge, then onto the Green Johanna worm bin and down into the back garden.  She will not use a litter tray indoors, so she goes out twice a day whatever the weather.  On rainy or very cold days, her 'constitutionals' are very brief.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 16:00:04 PM »
So last night when I got back and it was pouring with rain I thought I'd let them decide, as they were both standing by the back door obviously wanting to go out. So I put their collars on and told them it was raining and that they wouldn't like it. So I opened the back door they rushed to the doorway and stopped and then very slowly started walking backwards  :rofl:  :rofl:

:rofl:  Love the 'velvet slippers' too  :rofl:

Why is it I have visions of you installing a little doorbell for them to ring when they want to come back inside so you can open the door for them  :rofl: :rofl:

Have you been spying on me?  http://www.lazyboneuk.com/products/Pet-Doorbell-.html  I'm thinking of getting one but not too sure that they could be trained to use it as I think it's more aimed at dogs!

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 15:54:16 PM »
Our new stud pen isn't connected to the house so the cats will have to choose to be either in or out once the mesh goes up in the next few weeks but Bilbo was happy to be in his cat run at the old house 24/7 all through the winter and the colder it is and the more snow is on the ground the happier he is and the harder it was to make him come inside and he had to be dragged in (Poor Hannah nearly froze to death when she babysat him last winter as he made her spend hours in the snow with him as he doesn't realise that humans don't have his NFC adaptations for winter :evillaugh:).
My other cats have only spent a tiny amount of time outside before but no doubt they'll be the same as Bilbo based on the amount of time they now spend waving their legs out of their bedroom window trying to get out now it's getting cold outside. They have got an 9ft x 4ft  2 storey cat house in the stud pen though so they can sleep/sit in that if they want shelter from the weather but don't want to come into the human house.

Only thing to watch with your boys Helen might be that they don't get frostbite on their feet and tips of their ears if it's freezing outside and that they don't get too cold if they get soaked through with rain in the winter if they are out for prolonged periods but I'd have thought they'd be absolutely fine if they are only going out when you are home and they'll soon let you know if they want to come back in again. Why is it I have visions of you installing a little doorbell for them to ring when they want to come back inside so you can open the door for them  :rofl: :rofl:
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline em1209

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 15:53:59 PM »
Well today is beautiful day, sunny and warm.  The back door is wide open and I have a shaft of sunlight almost burning my leg whilst I type this. Riley is on the inside windowsill looking out and Lu is sat in the middle of the room  :innocent:

Sounds about right  :evillaugh:, you just know that by 6.30 tonight they'll be having a great time outside  :rofl:

I'm the same as you though with regard to letting them out. Fergus and Polly stay in all day whilst we're out at work and I usually let them out for a bit when I get in and then also at weekends when we're there. We haven't got a catflap so just leave the back door open for them to come and go. Usually if it's raining they'll come in on their own accord (especially Fergus as he doesn't like getting his velvet slippers wet!!) and Polly will sit under a plant and squeak at me! When it's miserable I try and open the door and let them decide themselves. So last night when I got back and it was pouring with rain I thought I'd let them decide, as they were both standing by the back door obviously wanting to go out. So I put their collars on and told them it was raining and that they wouldn't like it. So I opened the back door they rushed to the doorway and stopped and then very slowly started walking backwards  :rofl:  :rofl:

I know once it's dark when I get back from work, they're going to hate it, but hopefully they'll still be able to go out at the weekends.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 14:14:33 PM »
Well today is beautiful day, sunny and warm.  The back door is wide open and I have a shaft of sunlight almost burning my leg whilst I type this. Riley is on the inside windowsill looking out and Lu is sat in the middle of the room  :innocent:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 22:17:49 PM »
This cat slave leaves the back dor open all day for them to go into the back garden as its cat proofed  -unless its throwing it down and then they don''t want to go out anyway and i shut it .
Winston will sometimes still sit outside as he has a little house with windows in to sit in and its close to the door so he stays dry and warm - its got vet bedding in and fleece on top - when it gets even colder , he had a reflective pad in as well ! ;D

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 21:31:53 PM »
My cats never have gone out much tbh not that we're near a road or anything and the garden is enclosed they've never really bothered unless I'm out in the summer and they in the garden with me but I do have oldies.  Our very first cat Penny used to like going out when younger but but she was never out long I'd be out calling her, I prefer them in unless I'm out.

edit, just remembered our Penny used to love going out when it was windy - trying to avoid it and chasing leaves   ;D
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 21:34:05 PM by janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 21:29:04 PM »
Meant to say Zephyr often goes out and hides in the Rabbit hutch ... he will rush out in the pooring rain and then snuggle down in the rabbit hutch and "watch" the weather  :rofl: :rofl:  After about 20 mins I open the door and he rushes back in.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 21:26:13 PM »
Ours have the choice of 2 windows on security locks all the indoor/outdoor mob make a rush for the door in the conservatory in the morning after breakfast saucer so we let them out - some back peddal at rain and snow but most feel they have to go outside!

We do have a cat flap on the garage but since Tiger got stuck - he's a big boy all 20lbs of him it is now on closed!  The windows get closed when we start the nighttime roundup at tea time and are closed till we open them the next day

Please picture the following and it will give you insite into why we don't have cat flaps!  Sky our Border Collie all 27kgs of dog sitting on a wicker stool (for Maverick our 3 legged hooligan to have 2 access points from out to in) with this head out of the window wondering if he could go out that way to! :shocked:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 21:20:31 PM »
Our flap is open 24/7. Jameson goes out in any weather. Infact he came back a couple of hours ago, totally drenched but purry and happy  :Luv:

Edited to say: Sorry, just re-read the topic; it was a question to those without flap.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 21:22:00 PM by tigerbaby »
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 21:19:52 PM »
So I am a meany then  :shy: I might start offering them a choice then.

I'm in two minds whether to fit the cat flap as I definitely don't want them out while I'm not in and if there's a cat flap there I think they might scrape and whine like they do if I dare to shut an internal door to a room they want to go into. 

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 21:13:43 PM »
I have a downstairs window open but in the winter I close it but open it to let cats out/in as they want,I obviously close it also when they are in for the night :)  So yes I do leave them out in all weathers,Rammy today has been out in total downpours(his own choice) the weather doesnt seem to bother him,I say this now but then its his first winter having outdoor access too,so we'll see what he's like when the white stuff suddenly appears :evillaugh:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline soudicca

• Adult Cat
  • Jake's mum
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 21:12:23 PM »
Normally if its really wet, Jake stays in, if he pushes I open the door, one look at the rain and he turns straight back in again.  I do have a porch at the front door however, so he has if it is persistantly rainy, been known to sit on the fence which runs right up to the porch.  This way he gets to see a little of the world, fresh air and doesn't get wet.  Of course, 10 mins later he wants back in again.
My previous four never ventured out in the rain.  From the looks on their faces you would have thought I was throwing them out if ever I opened the door on to a wet outside world.  Their preference was to curl up in some soft comfortable spot in front of the fire.
Black cats rule
RIP Suki, Cleo, Jade & Sam

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 21:10:53 PM »
Yes .... if they want to go out I let them out (I do of course call back every 20 mins or so).  There is only one person in this household who would go out in the dark, cold and wet and that's Zephyr  cuz he's hard!   :rofl:

The girls know the instant the door is open they DO NOT want to go out!.. Sensible.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Question for those of you without a cat flap
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 21:04:04 PM »
Do you let your cats out in bad weather?

I have a catflap, and a back door which leads to the garden but the two are separate at the moment!  The boys have only been going out into the (catproofed) garden since May so up until now I've always left the door open for them to come and go as they please when I'm in, they don't go out when I'm not in.

Now it's too cold to leave the door open and on days like today (rainy and windy) I don't let them out at all.  Am I being mean?  Do you let your cats out in miserable weather?  I'm thinking with winter fast approaching how often will they actually get to go out if I'm restricting garden time to  a) when I'm in and b) it's reasonable weather.

Link to CatChat