Author Topic: Vegetarian cat food - it's just not right  (Read 5350 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Vegetarian cat food - it's just not right
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2008, 07:59:05 AM »
I hope it was suggested by her vet, so the supplements were right - our CP had a cat who had that problem with fish, so he could only have meaty food.
Please spay your cat

ccmacey

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2008, 22:57:35 PM »
A lady who I got in contact with about rehoming a cat one of her cats was fed a vegetarian diet because if it ate meat its fur would fall out. This would of been suggested from her vet. So I suppose its a good thing.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2008, 21:13:33 PM »
Taurine is the obvious thing, but even if you supplement a veggie food with synthetic taurine I still don't think it's right.  They might not drop dead eating a veggie diet, but I believe cats thrive best when they get their protein from meat.  It's what their bodies are designed for.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2008, 20:12:32 PM »
Also it's about enjoyment and satiation - cats shouldn't be denied this because of owners beliefs.

Like a lot of things, vegetarian catfood is new so there are no long-term studies into the effects. I would hate the idea that my cats suffered something they didn't like, just because there was nothing else available. PB & I are going to check some strays tomorrow and they are living on bread at the moment, poor things - OK short term but they would end up sick and dying if this continued. Julie is bringing a stash of cat food and will find a friendly resident to feed it to them until we can sort them.

Even the vegetarian society isn't convinced http://www.vegsoc.org/info/catfood.html
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 20:19:18 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2008, 20:08:52 PM »
When commercially pet foods were first introduced, manufacturer's didn't realise the importance of taurine, so it wasn't included, and cats did suffer with heart issues, blindness and neurological issues, and it was sometimes severe enough to kill them. This is why cats cant live on dog food, as it isn't included in dog food as much, as either dogs can make it themselves, or they dont need as much (i forget which), although I read recently that this is changing now, and it is being included. I think MEssybeast has an article about this.

This article mentions stunted growth, unkempt fur and blindness, I will have to search for the other.

http://www.messybeast.com/veggiecat.htm
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 20:15:11 PM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2008, 20:03:17 PM »
We are all preaching that cats are natural carnivores and such, but has anybody seen the physical state of vegetarian cats? Are they fat or lethargic?

Does a vegetarian diet actually effect them in an adverse way? Is there any anecdotal evidence?

No-one is preaching. Cats are obligate carnivores - that is, they must eat meat 'by necessity'.

I did find some studies the other week that found many deficiencies in cats fed a vegetarian diet - stupidly I didnt bookmark them, so will have to trawl through again sometime and see if I can find them!

Offline sunama

• Adult Cat
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2008, 18:48:11 PM »
We are all preaching that cats are natural carnivores and such, but has anybody seen the physical state of vegetarian cats? Are they fat or lethargic?

Does a vegetarian diet actually effect them in an adverse way? Is there any anecdotal evidence?

Offline Marcia

• Distinguished Cat
  • R.I.P Jasmine 12/12/06 - 23/12/07
    • Pheonix-Gerbils
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2008, 18:45:36 PM »
I agree with what has been said. I eat meat as long as i don't (or anyone else for that matter) remind me where it's come from, although there are meats i will def stay away from e.g Veil, lamb, pheasant, rabbit etc...

I would never give my cats a veggie diet, their carnivores by nature and need meat to keep healthy and strong. You can't deny them that at least. As has been said, if people don't like the idea of giving their cats meat, get a rabbit.

Myspace Glitter Graphics

Loving mum to Holly, Tilly, Molly and Taco

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2008, 18:39:08 PM »
I was a vegan for a while but I never considered feeding my cats a veggie diet.  They are  carnivores and need their meat.  I  never had any problem with that.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2008, 18:30:44 PM »
Kally its added into vege cat food in the same way its added to normal cat food. The way cat food is manufactured destroys most of the vitamins etc in it so its added back in.

Both these products have a high meat content and contrary to what someone said earlier in this thread about most dry food being 90% grain, Orijen is about 30% grain and 70% meat.
Orijen isnt a normal dry food, its one of few that is actually grain free. I was talking about common brands such as Go Cat - 4% meat, colourants/preservatives/flavourings/a hefty dose of salt and the rest is grain, byproducts at that.

Kylie isnt impressed then Mark?  :rofl:

Offline Kally

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Chiana and Salem
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2008, 13:50:20 PM »
i really cant understand why ud feed em vegetarian food i mean cats are like the one true carnivore as they needs taurine in their diet if they were on vegetarian or vegan diet wood they need taurine suppliments?
The world is a dark place because of negativity so lets brighten it up with some possitivity

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2008, 10:13:16 AM »
I agree Mark, just because someone is vegetarian I think it would be selfish not to include meat in the animals diet.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2008, 10:01:52 AM »
I just think it is so wrong to force your beliefs onto animals - As has been said, get a rabbit. Not only is is inappropriate food, there must be an enjoyment factor involved in eating for cats. It's like the pig in China that was in the news. It ate a bag of charcoal as there was nothing else but I doubt it enjoyed it  :tired:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2008, 09:45:30 AM »
My best friends old landlady was a strict vegan, she had lots of cats and dogs and they were ALL fed vegan food!!! I could not believe it when I was there - she was making the food herself and included pulses and beans in it. I just remember opening the fridge and finding a bowl with something stinky, watery in there and asked my friend what it was - it was dog pee, that this lady used as disinfectant.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2008, 09:01:21 AM »
Orijen is 0% grain - it's 25% meat and quality meat at that - no byproducts - the other 25% is fruits, veg and "botanics"  :)

I am trying it to get my overweight cat to eat it as although it is fairly high fait, I am hoping she will lose weight by not having carbs. I am also feeding it to Clapton as they say it is fine for cats with CRF.

Offline sunama

• Adult Cat
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2008, 03:09:22 AM »
When I was looking into buying a pedigree cat I saw that the breeders fed their cats/kittens on a BARF diet, not having the slightest idea what a Barf diet was I took it upon myself to research it, because the title suggests something rather vile :sick: BARF  stands for Biologically Appropriate Raw Food apparently  :doh: However during my research I found a company who tries to provide a biologically appropriate diet in dried food form, so for any veggies out there this may be a better alternative to wet food.

http://www.championpetfoods.com/orijen/products/

If you're interested I think I've posted the link correctly  :-[ being a computer illterate, if it doesn't work the company is Orijen and they make meow and woof food.

http://www.championpetfoods.com/orijen/products/cat.aspx

Thats what I give my cats, mixed with Natures Menu, Kitten.

Both these products have a high meat content and contrary to what someone said earlier in this thread about most dry food being 90% grain, Orijen is about 30% grain and 70% meat.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2008, 08:23:03 AM »
I am a vegetarian, and wouldnt dream of making the cats not eat meat, but I did swap to high meat content food as a compromise, but with Rosie's CRF, they are getting more fresh chicken. They do like Orijen though, I got some this week.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 08:24:54 AM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2008, 18:15:01 PM »
Kylie said speak for yourself - she said she is a clean girl and she does try  :P

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2008, 18:02:41 PM »
I hope she reaches her 'goal'  :evillaugh:

She can reach it, she's just not cleaning it.... :sneakin:  ;)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Garfield&Gypsy

• Senior Cat
  • Garfield
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2008, 17:31:58 PM »
I don't understand why some people who are vegeterian would try and feed a vegeterian diet to a carnivore mammal.

Most vegeterians I know choose for personal reasons to be vegeterian but won't impose it on anyone else in the household.
One of my close vegeterian friends will still cook vegeterian foods next to meat products in the same baking tray so the meat juice would penetrate the food she seems okay with itb but having working in the food industry she finds it amusing when i am careful not to cross contaminate when i cook for vegeterians. she will also handle and cook meat for her none veggie partner she wouldn't dream of denying him some meat.
Nicola, Chris, Garfield & Gypsy

I cannot deny that a cat lover and his cat have a master/slave relationship. The cat is the master.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2008, 17:31:43 PM »
Me too :evillaugh:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 17:24:33 PM »
I hope she reaches her 'goal'  :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 17:23:14 PM »
It's for Kylie's own good - I'm determined that she will be able to clean her butt by the end of summer  :sick: :evillaugh:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 17:16:47 PM »
You meany!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 17:15:23 PM »
My cats started on Orijen a couple of weeks ago and they are all getting used to it - it's that or go hungry anyway  :evillaugh:

Offline Beemumma

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 16:37:18 PM »
 :-[ Oh ok I'll be quiet now.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 16:11:05 PM »
Not you B, the website claims it is  :evillaugh:

Offline Beemumma

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 16:04:08 PM »
 :-: Thanx MM but the quote was TRIES to provide.........

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 15:41:53 PM »
provide a biologically appropriate diet in dried food form

Always makes me chuckle when i read sentences like that. Dry food is the most unbiological diet you can get   :rofl:

My lot like Orijen :drool;

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 15:38:36 PM »
The Orijen dry that my cats are on contains No grain or cereals and the cats thrive on it - a lot of dry food contains maize which is sweetcorn and cats struugle to digest sweetcorn (so do I but thats another matter  :rofl:)
They also have raw meat which I started just feeding the Benglies but then my 2 moggies started to show interest so they are all eat it now.

Gillian - do you have any raw recipes that I could try for some variation please?
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 15:22:57 PM »
Gillian on here is a bit expert when it comes to raw feeding, she could give you tips if you wanted to know more

Offline Beemumma

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 13:48:49 PM »
When I was looking into buying a pedigree cat I saw that the breeders fed their cats/kittens on a BARF diet, not having the slightest idea what a Barf diet was I took it upon myself to research it, because the title suggests something rather vile :sick: BARF  stands for Biologically Appropriate Raw Food apparently  :doh: However during my research I found a company who tries to provide a biologically appropriate diet in dried food form, so for any veggies out there this may be a better alternative to wet food.

http://www.championpetfoods.com/orijen/products/

If you're interested I think I've posted the link correctly  :-[ being a computer illterate, if it doesn't work the company is Orijen and they make meow and woof food.

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 12:32:00 PM »
If Fredcat didnt get his fish everyday he would move out in disgust!!

Cats are not MEANT to be veggie - they have all them sharp teeth for eating meat!

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 12:27:37 PM »
Anyway, I'm sure this is quite new and they don't know the long term effects on cats - it is just so wrong.

Quite agree. Unfortunately some owners are just either misguided or brainwashed into thinking that a cat can thrive on a vegetarian diet. Cats are obligate carnivores, they must eat meat, fact. I worry too Mark about the long term effects on the health of cats fed a veggie diet, although as MM mentioned, many dry foods are close to veggie anyway.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 11:46:57 AM »
If people won't buty meat on moral grounds, as Dawn said, they should buy a rabbit - they shouldn't expect their cats to suffer for their beliefs. Anyway, I'm sure this is quite new and they don't know the long term effects on cats - it is just so wrong.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 11:25:34 AM »
Even if I was still veggie, I would still give Max meat, its not like you have to handle it if youre just opening a tin or pouch  :evillaugh:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 10:32:09 AM »
Has anyone seen what it smells like?
Alot of 'normal' dry food is 90% grain anyway - not alot of difference!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 09:01:05 AM »
Always make me think of Shirley Valentine when she gives her husband's steak to the neighbours "Vegetarian" dog  :evillaugh:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 08:35:44 AM »
its not like they can make an informed choice, let them eat meat and if you can't face it perhaps get a rabbit

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Vegetarian cat food - it's just not right
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 08:25:40 AM »
http://www.veggiepets.com/acatalog/vegetarian_cat_information.html

Even if a cat can survive on it, it's just not right to deprive a cat of it's natural diet and make it eat bland biscuits - anyone else agree/disagree?

Link to CatChat