Author Topic: Mackeral and Sardines  (Read 7493 times)

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
Re: Mackeral and Sardines
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2008, 02:11:46 AM »
I know what you mean Stuart but I would be too scared in case she jumped and I hurt her. :(

Here's a link from the branch of RSPCA that I got Bonnie from telling you about EARS (Elderly and Re-homing Scheme)
http://www.rspca-halifax.org.uk/elderly_animal.htm

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2008, 19:38:35 PM »
I didn't know about the RSPCA Scheme, that sound Good :wow:

you dont need to clip a lot of the nail off, Just the Sharp bit  ;) ;D
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2008, 19:03:44 PM »
That's good news Stuart.

I wouldn't dare clip her claws, even if she would sit still i'd be frightened of cutting them too short.  It shouldn't cost too much and as she is an elderly cat from the RSPCA they have a scheme where you pay £5 for a consultation with their vet and then pay less for any treatment and the money's going to all the animals so I don't mind.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2008, 18:07:15 PM »
the Lady from Fairview, she say YESSSS!!!!  :evillaugh: but only in moderation, like she said, and I have heard so many times.
"It's better that they eat, even thing's that are bad for them, than not eat at all.."

yeah i read about smudge :( Keeping the fingers crossed that the little wanderer returns soon :)

Bonnie is bootiful :Luv:
can you not try the clipper's on Bonnie ???

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2008, 16:37:49 PM »
Hope the vet says yes Stuart.

Great clip - and what's with the swearing at the end...... you got everything you deserved tormenting him like that!!!!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :P :P :P  I'd wear an oven glove next time, if I was you.

Lovely cat and a good age.  You may have read on my other posts that my Smudge who was 14 on 1st Feb weny missing last September and I've adopted 10 yrs old Bonnie from RSPCA in Dec. - her claws are a bit too long and the back ones are just as sharp as kitten claws - think I'll be paying the vet to do a little manicure!!!  She's not having nail varnish though!  :naughty: :rofl:

Mary

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2008, 13:26:54 PM »
Thank's maryas, oo I've just remembered' Iv'e to phone my vet today to get a prescription for the Fortekor,
I'll ask Her about the pilchards then  ;)

btw, Misty will be 17 on the 20th of May  ;) :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9b4ZwiBPOs  :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2008, 12:56:40 PM »
Of course it is, I recognise it now you've said it.  Aw poor Hamish might've lived longer if you hadn't had a naf vet - no wonder you changed.  We hear so many stories about vets out for all the momney they can get etc. luckily I've always had good ones.  You might want to check that pilchards are ok for him with him having kidney probs.  Hope he can have them and maybe he will have a nice long life like my Tibby, or even longer.  :)

Mary

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2008, 10:46:44 AM »
CRF = Chronic Renal Failure = Kindney Failure  :(
that's how I lost my Hamish  :'(
But after that I changed my vet (cause they had lost Hamish's blood result's, which were done 7 months earlier >:( ) and got Misty's
Blood's checked, Luckily, it has been caught very early :) but I have to give Him "Fortekor" every day (this, as far as I'm aware-increases
the blood flow through the Kidney's, so's they dont have to work so hard) and also change his diet :( and He can be a fussy :censored: at
the best of times  >:(

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2008, 10:32:48 AM »
He might want the full tin next time Stuart, he sounds like he's on the mend bless him.  Good luck.  What's CRF?  Had cats for 47 yrs since I was born but not up on all the illnesses etc.  :-[ :rofl:

Mary

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2008, 00:22:21 AM »
No, I only gave HIM half a Tin = a lot of sauce and a pilchard and a half
will be more careful next time :scared:

yes with Misty being long haired, Im well used to the Furball's too, and He goes through the same motions
as you described with smudge. But he hasen't been sick for ages.

I dont like Him being sick now and worry because of His CRF

He's kept His Roast Chicken Breast Down though  :Luv:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2008, 23:19:41 PM »
Yer, they're the make I used to give Tibby - you didn't give her a great deal then did you?  I gave Bonnie half a medium tin this afternoon and she also had a pouch of Felix this morning.  They're all different so just see how you go on Stuart.

By the way I do think all cats make that noise as though they are telling you they are going to be sick.  My Smudge used to crouch down as though he was going to catch a bird and make the strangest noise when he wanted to cough up a fur ball.

Bless em all.  :Luv2:
Mary

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2008, 21:54:07 PM »
think your both right, new food on an empty tum  :sick:
but these tins i bought are not BIG tins, I saw those :-: the ones I bought were
Glenryck pacific Plichards in Tom sauce and the net weight is 155 grams (just small tins -25p)

I'll maybe try again, in a smaller portion, and when he's already got something in his tum  ;)

Thanks 4 the replys  :)

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2008, 19:30:05 PM »
Stuart, a full tin!!!   :evillaugh: :hug:  When I said Tibby lived to be 26 and she only ate pilchards in tomato sauce - it was a large tin per day - not a large tin in 1 feed!!!!  :rofl: :rofl:  Bless.

Maybe it was too much or maybe it's cos it was something new to him.  Hope he picks up and maybe enjoys the pilchards at a later date.  :fish: :fish: :fish: :feed: :feed: :clap:

Mary

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2008, 19:15:21 PM »
A whole tin on an empty tum was probably just too much, less is more sometimes!

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2008, 19:07:19 PM »
My Misty is having an off day :( and it doesn't matter what I put down in front of Him, R/C Renal
 - whiskers Senior.....He wont eat any of it  :(
But I remembered reading this thread yesterday, So off to Tesco's I went to get some Pilchards
tried the tomato sauce first, and he loved it  ;D he then proceeded to polish off the whole lot  :wow:

5 min's later a heard the distinctful Meowl of "I'm away to be sick"  :sick:
(Does anybody elses cat do this??)
I also bought Misty more roast Chicken, and he's just picking away at that too  :(
I hope he's better imorn

could the Pilchards have been just too rich for him ???

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2008, 23:10:25 PM »
Complimentary foods are fine for one offs, and if they are fed alongside complete foods (i.e. if you gave a complimentary pouch and complete biscuits). I put my chicken in a casserole dish with water and bung it in the oven for 20-30 mins, never thought of covering it. They dont like the water though.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2008, 18:23:23 PM »
I used to put mine in the wave for Kocka, very quick but make sure it cools down before giving it to a cat  ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2008, 12:41:12 PM »
Depends if it's a meal or a treat. Mine usually get 1/2 breast although most of the time I give them thighs or drumsticks as they are a lot cheaper and the cats love them the same - in fact Clapton loves skin, fat and gristle more than breast meat  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2008, 12:23:56 PM »
Oo thank you Mark. I think I'll try the casserole dish suggestion. How much should I give him of the breast?

Maryas it was tinned in oil, but I always wash it thoroughly beforehand.

:-: He's currently bobbing for his tin foil ball .. which somehow made it into the water bowl.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2008, 12:14:29 PM »
He does eat Chicken!! In fact there's some breasts in the fridge. How long does one boil chicken for ... sorry I've never boiled a chicken breast before.

I always roast it for about 1/2 hour - they love it that way.

Sally, one of the volunteers says she puts chicken breast (you could do it with fish too)  in a small casserole dish with some water, covers the dish with tin foil and cooks it at the same time as she cooks her own dinner. She says the cats love the juice as well. I need to try that for Alice  ;D
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2008, 12:09:47 PM »
Mackeral's a no go  :( I had to clear up a couple of large piles of Memphis sick this morning. He had the tiniest amount of Mackeral last night and I'm guessing it doesn't agree with him. He loved it which is a shame.

Was it tinned or fresh - if tinned it might have had too much brine/salt watere in it. I used to buy tinned tuna in brine and rinse all the brine off for Smudge - he didn't like the tuna in spring water or oil!!

Mary
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 12:16:27 PM by maryas »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2008, 12:07:36 PM »
I don't boil it to eat myself!!!  only for sick kitties

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2008, 12:07:01 PM »
It's boneless and quite thick. I always pan fry or roast. You wouldn't guess he had been sick with how he's running around though  :-:

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2008, 12:00:34 PM »
Is it bone in, or boneless?  If boneless and in smaller (thinner) size it can cook in 10-15 minutes.  If it is a bone in it takes about 20 minutes.  You will have to poke with a folk or knife tip and check the doneness.  Personally I panfry it as it seems to me much tastier! ;D

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2008, 11:56:38 AM »
I suppose about 20 mins not sure exactly you'll know by the look of it!!

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 11:55:41 AM »
He does eat Chicken!! In fact there's some breasts in the fridge. How long does one boil chicken for ... sorry I've never boiled a chicken breast before.

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2008, 11:52:10 AM »
Oh no poor Memphy, hope he feels better soon!!   :hug: :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 11:49:16 AM »
does he eat chicken usually bland food is recommended - I boil it

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 11:39:16 AM »
Mackeral's a no go  :( I had to clear up a couple of large piles of Memphis sick this morning. He had the tiniest amount of Mackeral last night and I'm guessing it doesn't agree with him. He loved it which is a shame.

He's not having his breakfast (it wasn't a little bit of sick, it was a lot) should I feed him dinner, if so what.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 19:37:01 PM »
The Hi-Life fish collection contains some yummy mackerel and sardine pouches, nice big chunks in jelly.  Geoffrey loves them, but fussy Milly turns her nose up  :naughty:
I was in PAH on Saturday. The hi-life pouches said complementary (12 pouches), the tins said complete (8 tins). That put me off since I want complete pouches if it's for Memphis. Normal tinned mackeral etc would be split 3/4 Molly and 1/4 Memphis.

:evillaugh: Franta has good taste!!!
I definately have a fishy lover. Well it's dinner time so we shall see how he likes it .........

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 19:30:16 PM »
I am sure in small quanties he will be fine  ;D

My birmans came here with fish biscuits and would not touch anything except fish cat food, Franta has moved on a bit and likes a bit of milk from my weetabix now. He will not just have a bit of milk but only from weetabix which also has splenda in it  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 19:30:12 PM »
The Hi-Life fish collection contains some yummy mackerel and sardine pouches, nice big chunks in jelly.  Geoffrey loves them, but fussy Milly turns her nose up  :naughty:

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 19:24:18 PM »
Oh he get's a very balanced diet. He eats anything and everything. Just need to make sure they aren't poisonous or bad for little kitties.

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 18:02:52 PM »
I'm no expert but my 1st cat, Tibby lived to be 26 and all she ever ate was 1 large tin of pilchards in tomato sauce each day.  She wouldn't touch biscuits or cat food of any description.  She was never ill and she never even had annual jabs at the vet.  All she had was conditioning tablets crushed in her pichards each day.

Mary

we had a foster cat like that - wouldn't eat anything but so of course he was called pilchard. he was a big healthy brute too.

His photo was on the notice board of a famous fish tinning company who supply us with damaged stock.
 :rofl:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 17:05:26 PM »
I'm no expert but my 1st cat, Tibby lived to be 26 and all she ever ate was 1 large tin of pilchards in tomato sauce each day.  She wouldn't touch biscuits or cat food of any description.  She was never ill and she never even had annual jabs at the vet.  All she had was conditioning tablets crushed in her pichards each day.

It just goes to show doesnt it? Wonderful that Tibby reached that grand old age!

I give mine pilchards in tom sauce sometimes, plus they have tinned sardines in water occasionally, the love 'em!

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 16:57:55 PM »
Aw Licia, poor hamster. :(  We read something new every day about diets and healthy food for humansd and animals - it's a wonder we know what time od day it is with all the confusion.  :Crazy:

Yes, I certainly think my Tibby was an exception and we can only try as what is good for one cat isn't good for another just like us humans (only , as we know, cats are indeed much fussier!!).  :rofl:

Mary

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 16:49:14 PM »
I think Licia is right, I know for a fact that my lot get sardines when my back is turned!

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 16:47:28 PM »

Mary

While probably this is not a diet which any veterinarian would reccomend, Tibby is one fine example that all cats are different and some can thrive on fabulously with it.  One thing that make me cringe is that I read now everywhere that healthyfood, even the tiniest morsel can be deadly to a dwarf hamster so absolutely none of it should be fed to them.  Napoleone, my dwarf winter white once gorged on a huge fistful of it which Cris's son gave to him while no one was looking, nothing happened he was perfectly fine (except that he was extremely cross after we dislodged what it was left from his iron grip once we found what was going on) and lived happily for another year and half to be almost 3.

Sorry to be side tracked and not to be an advocate of some extreme diet, however I am sure it is okay, like tuna and other hooman food, if they are fed in small doses and not to be substituted as a regular diet. 

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 16:00:18 PM »

Mary

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
Mackeral and Sardines
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 13:35:35 PM »
Every so often I give Molly a tin of Mackeral or Sardines. Is it ok if Mr Fish lover has a little bit?

Link to CatChat