Author Topic: Woman Dumps Cat in Wheelie Bin  (Read 6928 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Woman Dumps Cat in Wheelie Bin
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2010, 14:45:17 PM »
It's odd but the title says she apologises but I don't consider someone saying "are you sorry?" and her replying "Of course I am" an apology  :shify:

I hope she is squirming.

I feel sorry for her poor old mum  :(
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 14:46:48 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline BazandGem

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Bazza (missing since March 2010), Rossi and Joey
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2010, 23:13:24 PM »
BazandGem

I know it must go through your mind but I really don't think that could have happened to Bazza  :hug: If a cat was trapped in a bin I think when the lid was open he would have freaked out or jumped out so the bin men would notice  :hug:
Thanks, I'm sure you're right. He's probably just decided to go off and find himself a new garden to sun himself in somewhere (he was an adult unneutered stray when we got him so I half think he's averaging 3 or 4 years in a succession of different doting households!)

As far as the cat being allowed out at night/not coming home often - it does depend on where they live. I never worried about Baz going out at night because it was what he wanted to do and he'd pop in and out for a couple of hours at a time through the evening/morning but spend the afternoon asleep on our bed. But since we've had Rossi we've made a point of getting him when it goes dark and locking his cat flap for the night - but as he'd been in a foster home before we adopted him and was only young it was easy to get into a routine like this. The family had recently moved to the house from what I read online, so maybe it had never occurred to them that they should keep their cat in at night in the new house. Besides which, the time on the CCTV footage is 19.54 - hardly what you'd call late-night yob time!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2010, 17:11:02 PM »
BazandGem

I know it must go through your mind but I really don't think that could have happened to Bazza  :hug: If a cat was trapped in a bin I think when the lid was open he would have freaked out or jumped out so the bin men would notice  :hug:

the owner was quoted as saying

"She doesn't come home much, to be honest - she only comes home to eat and the rest of the time she is out and about so we didn't even notice she was missing."

says it all really, poor Lola  >:(

I don't think the owners deserve any crticism, at the end of the day some people let their cats out at night (I don't/wouldn't) and they are quoted as saying they noticed her missing when they got up to feed her. They looked for her in the surrounding alleyways but didn't find her until they heard the meow. They've  handled themselves very well throughout it all and Lola seems well loved and is also a rescue cat  :)

I agree on the last point and my big cats spend most of their time out at night, I was going to say when its not raining but this time of year that doesnt seem to deter Misa...........sigh.

I think this often depends on where you live, and the cat and have to say Kocka used to go outside at night in London, she waqs streetwise but very friendly to people, just hated other cats.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2010, 15:53:47 PM »
BazandGem

"She doesn't come home much, to be honest - she only comes home to eat and the rest of the time she is out and about so we didn't even notice she was missing."

I don't think the owners deserve any crticism, at the end of the day some people let their cats out at night (I don't/wouldn't) and they are quoted as saying they noticed her missing when they got up to feed her. They looked for her in the surrounding alleyways but didn't find her until they heard the meow. They've  handled themselves very well throughout it all and Lola seems well loved and is also a rescue cat  :)

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2010, 15:09:12 PM »

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

Offline BazandGem

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Bazza (missing since March 2010), Rossi and Joey
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2010, 22:49:06 PM »
As soon as I saw this today I just felt sick. Bazza went missing the night before our bin collection in March and I didn't know for sure he was missing in the morning (thought hubby had fed him and he'd gone out before I went to work). By the time I got home from work and he wasn't back I started to think the wheelie bins were a possibility. Binmen said they hadn't seen anything - and I'm sure if he'd been alive and in a bin, Baz would've jumped out as soon as they opened the top, but knowing that someone has actually done this to a live cat just brings it all back  :(

Whatever the reason is that she did this to the cat, she deserves to get whatever the RSPCA or police decide to punish her with. Even if there is some sort of grudge going on with her and the cat owners, there is never any excuse to take it out on a defenceless animal  :(

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2010, 21:38:30 PM »
Read about this on Aol news and could not believe it >:(

I am speechless :(

Wonder if she has done this sort of thing before

Offline Shiroi-Neko

• Distinguished Cat
  • Ai-Chan & Tora
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2010, 20:25:59 PM »
Some people on fb thinks she looks like rosemary west the serial killer from the 80's

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2010, 18:37:39 PM »
Facebook is in meltdown as the RSPCA coventry has set up a Just Giving page... it's conspiracy theories ecverywhere!

Offline Tagalong

• Senior Cat
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2010, 18:20:31 PM »
Anyone else noticed how she is carrying a black ? jumper ? which acts perfectly as a screen to stop anyone seeing what she is putting in the bin from the roadside ?? this is all a bit fishy somehow -no one heard the cat -no one passed by ? She also manages to scruff the cat quite efficiently !?
Valerie and all my pets

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2010, 17:09:35 PM »
I have only one cat that wanders in the few houses near me and thats Winston . He usually comes when i call him anyway -BUT when i let him out i watch exactly where he goes (usually to the same place) and i give him 10 mins -then i shout him and if he doesn''t come back within another 2 mins -i go and look for him and fetch him home.
He is currently out the front of my house now , in his little cat house -on guard  :rofl: .
I check on him even then every 10 mins to make sure he hasn;''t moved .   Maybe a bit ott -but at least i know he is safe .

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2010, 16:09:26 PM »
Yep, people have such wide views of cat care. Because they are independent not everyone would worry to the extent a lot of us would if we didn't see our cats before going to bed for the night. (I do a roll call.... :evillaugh: Clearly, that involves me looking around the house, not the cats moving....)

I know someone who is convinced her cats are likely to withstand cold weather better because they've got long fur. She loves her cats a great deal but seems to think all long haired cats are descended from Norwegian Forest cats or some other hardier breed. (Her thoughts, not mine. I've no idea if they're hardier or not!)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2010, 12:59:51 PM »
  They hadn't even found the poor kitty then    and she had been missing all night.  I would have been out of my mind with worry and completely unable to eat at all, let alone able go out for a meal 

I think most of us would be unable to eat in similar circumstances  but there are still people out there who assume when a cat doesn't come home it's just "doing what cats do" and feel no sense of urgency  - and indeed, there are some cats who will stop away for a day or two and then go home - usually un-neutered toms.

But, I think it would be unfair to say that those people don't care about their animals in the sense that, whether or not they care for their animals to the degree we believe they should be cared for, they don't want to see them hurt, or the victims of other people's spite or cruelty either.

I certainly work with someone whose cat doesn't have access to the house during the day while she's at work.  I find that unthinkable - particularly as she owns her own home, so doesn't have to consider landlords' wishes - but I have to admit she does - by her own lights - love the cat, and often takes him little toys home to play with or treats for his tea.   :Dont know:

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 12:14:31 PM »
I have suggested on fb that they cat proof the garden in future, got a mixed response  :rofl:

Brays lane is somewhere we will only home to if we are sure the cat will not be allowed outside. heavy traffic and cars parked all down the road.

it is an interesting story as she was caught on cctv but in terms of actual cruelty, there have been a few cats killed with pellet guns here that have made the papers recently and also from the binmen who have published some of their road kill stats, a large amount of cats and one body found in a wheelie bin covered in cigarette burns.....

Offline carolynl

• Adult Cat
  • my boy Jijo
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 12:02:23 PM »
That evil  :censored: shouldn't be given protection anyway.

And as for the kitten's owners, what were they doing going out for Sunday lunch as if nothing was wrong?

The attack happened at 7.55pm on Saturday and the kitten was trapped for nearly 16 hours before she was dicovered by the Manns who were heading out for Sunday lunch  

They hadn't even found the poor kitty then  >:(  and she had been missing all night.  I would have been out of my mind with worry and completely unable to eat at all, let alone able go out for a meal  >:(

Something doesn't add up here.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 12:10:50 PM by carolynl »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 11:32:58 AM »
Police protection; surely not? It's not like people have been given the name for definite. What a waste of resources.

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 10:36:17 AM »
link works fine in Opera :) another thread merge needed methinks.
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 10:31:50 AM »
I think unless it's been confirmed somewhere officially it's unwise to start a witch hunt; just my opinion.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 10:26:37 AM »
It says here that her name is (Ironically) xxxxxx and she is on FB - I'm not so can't see the link.

http://ourcompass.wordpress.com/2010/08/23/so-who-is-the-middle-aged-woman-who-stopped-to-stroke-the-cat-before-cruelly-dumping-kitty-in-the-litter/

btw - this is the 3rd thread about this. I started one but Karen at cov-cats had already started one so they were merged  :shify:

ETA - although the link doesn't work, if you copy and paste the whole thing it does. I don't know where the info came from that it is her - I would hate the idea of the wrong person being accused of something so vile.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 13:35:52 PM by Gill (sneakiefeline), Reason: was hoping to shorten my modify ! Its FB problem if they allow name to be published »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Cooper & Peanut

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 10:17:45 AM »
I saw this on facebook this morning. It made me feel sick  :sick:

Absolutely filled me with rage and disgust :mad2:

I read comments on the link and some folk thought it was funny?! :grrrrrr:

That poor poor cat must have been terrified  :'( :scared:

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 10:05:47 AM »
The news story (with CCTV footage) is here: http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20100823/tod-woman-caught-on-cctv-dumping-kitten-870a197.html

Now I've seen it, I don't think she's ill - she clearly looked around to see if anyone was watching before she did it, she obviously knew what she was doing.

What worries me about these sort of incidents going viral is that there are morons out there who will think it's funny to do the same thing.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 09:46:37 AM »
I read on another forum last night that because this has gone viral over facebook etc, the woman has been identified...she'll soon regret what she thought was a sneaky thing that no-one noticed now it's all over the world!  I know what you mean about it being a long time though, I can't help but think I'd have found one of my cats within a few minutes of going looking if they were in a bin that close to home  :scared:
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 09:48:29 AM by fluffybunny »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 09:32:07 AM »

Could well have been a grudge, but certainly didn't look like a put up job.   

Offline Tagalong

• Senior Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 09:29:34 AM »
TBH leaving aside the woman for a minute i think i would have been searching for my cat a lot sooner than the owners did --I wonder if there is a lot more to this than meets the eye at first glance -yes what she did was inexcusable and no way endorsable but could there have been a grudge between them ? does she know them -did she in a misguided way think it would teach them to look after their cat better as by example of what could happen ?? or is she just mentally ill ??? is it a publicity stunt even a set up job ????
Valerie and all my pets

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 09:20:49 AM »
That's :censored: disgusting! It's the sort of thing a chavvy teenager would do, not a middle aged woman. Is she mentally ill or something?
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Woman Dumps Cat in Wheelie Bin
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 08:52:50 AM »

Did anyone see the outrageous footage on the news last night, or in the paper this morning of a woman, aged about mid fifties, who walked past a cat who jumped up on a wall to be stroked.  She stroked it, then picked it up, opened the lid of a wheelie bin in the garden, and dumped the cat inside?!  She then walked off.

It was there for almost fifteen hours before its frantic owners heard its cries and tracked it down tot he bin.  It was a former rescue cat, and had been nervous of people until fairly recently.

What a hideous heartless thing to do.  It was captured on CCTV, as the owners of the property with the wheelie bin had previously had vandals attack their cars.   I wouldn't usually wish harm on people, but I hope this pathetic excuse for a human has her particular chickens come home to roost very soon and in great quantity for that act.

Link to CatChat