Author Topic: Phone lines hectic today  (Read 2359 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Phone lines hectic today
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 07:55:27 AM »

As well as the "Sillies" such as "I'm hoing on holiday, please can someone come and feed my cat twice a day - I am prepared to give a small donation it return"  :tired:

Not naming names but one of our people rang the lady independently and told her she would be happy to go and feed her cat while she was off sunning herself @ £10 per visit! (I think the woman was expecting a mug to feed her cat for a week and then give the branch a £5 donation or something  :evillaugh: )
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 07:55:56 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 07:51:54 AM »
And what do you say to those asking for flea treatment justifying it by saying 'you are a cat charity...'   >:(

I had one about 6 months ago who wanted cat food - she said her cat would go hungry if we didn't give it to her as she had no money  >:(
I know what I wanted to say to her  :tired:  but for the cat's sake, I contacted the nearest fosterer who left some food out for the woman to collect - which probably upset her as she was hoping we would deliver it as well  :Crazy:. It was a good 20 minute walk for her!!
Sharon said the same woman had done the same thing previously.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 12:08:39 PM »
I think that the classic always has to be "I am moving and cannot take the cat with me". "When are you moving?" "Tomorrow!"

I seriously think that some people must feel that you are sitting there waiting for THEIR call only. The other thing that they cannot grasp is the term "Volunteer". Seems awfully alien to them, they do not understand that you have a life, a family and a job. If they want the cat in now, it needs to come in now. "What do you mean, you need to cook dinner for your family?"
Nuneaton and Hinckley Cats in Need

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 12:00:48 PM »
And what do you say to those asking for flea treatment justifying it by saying 'you are a cat charity...'   >:(

Tell em to "hop it"  >:( 

I dont know how you can all keep your patience -  :hug: :hug: :hug: And much admiration to all you rescuers who must have to bite your tongues over and over again
People Power Works!!!

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 11:55:34 AM »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 11:44:51 AM »
I know - even when you tell them there is a waiting list you get "Yes but my cat REALLY needs to be sorted straight away"  :tired:

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 11:19:47 AM »
It certainly is the silly season TBH. Even ehen you do offer to help some people you get treated like something the cat has dragged in!  :censored:

I still say people should pass a test first before taking on the responsibility of a life, feline or otherwise. To be frank I think this should apply to some potentail parents as well!
Nuneaton and Hinckley Cats in Need

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 23:34:25 PM »
I know Sharon took a call on the homing line this morning from a disabled man who is struggling to look after 3 cats for a friend who in hospital miles away and has been told it will be long term. He is well meaning but really struggling to cope  :(

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 23:30:38 PM »
I can second that because it was the same on my phone days and TBH, it's making me feel quite low.  :(

We seem to be getting lots more human tragedy problems now. Families with young children forced to give up beloved pets. Sobbing on the phone to us. People being evicted and nowhere for puss to go... all rescues clogged. Abandoned cats sitting in vet pens. It's everywhere we turn...

When people are being foolish it's the anger that keeps me going. I wade in for the sake of the cats. But these are good people whom life has slung down the toilet and they want the best for their cats... but we haven't the room to help them and I feel so useless.  :'(

I think when the welfare officer comes back from hols I need a break myself. Or take a side step and go do some fundraising again.  :innocent:

Sorry... just feeling very tired tonight.  :-[

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Phone lines hectic today
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 21:43:34 PM »
Sharon said it has been like this all week

1. Badly injured cat in Canterbury (Pudding has been out looking but no luck so far  :( )
2. I'm moving next week and need you to rehome my 2 cats by then
3. My cat has had 2 lots of kittens in a row and it needs neutering
4. Stray in my garden, please can you come and get it
As well as the "Sillies" such as "I'm hoing on holiday, please can someone come and feed my cat twice a day - I am prepared to give a small donation it return"  :tired:
+ a couple of others.

Only one of the calls was to help us - someone offering 3 cat baskets.

Link to CatChat