Author Topic: Call received today - GOOD NEWS  (Read 14318 times)

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
Re: Call received today
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2008, 17:01:34 PM »
I sorted a Llaso Apso out for someone a couple of years ago, that was the same thing.......the dog was so matted and had excrement matted into his fur, he was living outside with no proper shelter but the owner was too embarrassed to do anything about it.  I got the dog sorted and the dog is now living with the guys mum being well cared for and loved and I get regular updates about him off both the son and the mum.  We don't know what goes on in peoples lives and sometimes a little compassion goes a long way instead of always assuming the worse.  As already said, this guy may be a crap owner but he may also be the opposite.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2008, 16:57:48 PM »
its hard to say, my mum had an elderly neighbour who had a much loved dog but it was very old and ill and she was so ashamed of how bad it had got she felt she couldn't take it to the vet because she was afraid of getting into trouble - it sounds mad to us but it made sense to her

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2008, 16:54:44 PM »
I can see where you're coming from BC,  I've been wondering the same thing.  He obviously cared enough to take the cat in and only he knows why he didn't get to visit or couldn't afford his vet bill.   I think sometimes we judge too quickly, he may not be the ideal owner but it doesn't mean to say he doesn't love his cat and he may be broken hearted over the whole episode.  Lets just hope this has a good outcome for all concerned  :hug:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2008, 16:44:50 PM »
alternately he may have sunk into such a deep depression about his failure to care for his most loved pet that he is presently sitting at home paralysed with that depression (which clearly you have never suffered from) and be contemplating suicide - it happens

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2008, 16:37:41 PM »
Oh, yes, BC, I've been there too - last summer in fact... and probably will be again I have no doubt.  :tired: But next to getting food on the table for the children, is putting food in the Jumpster's bowl. There is no way in hell he will be banged up in a vet's cage for weeks without a visit from me, bill or no bill.  :Luv: And if I had to face the fact I couldn't pay for him, it would have been after I'd called everyone in sight begging for help. It wouldn't have been left to the vet nurse. I would then accept it like an adult that the Jumpster's needs are beyond my capacities and the greatest thing I could do for him is make sure he goes to live with someone who'll love him every bit as much as he deserves.  :'(

So always being one to think the best of people, I'm assuming this puss's owner can't use a telephone and has no friend's/relatives/neighbours prepared to call for him, can't walk to get to visit his cat and will certainly be asking an independent witness to watch him put an 'X' on the rehoming form as he can't write either.  ;)

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2008, 16:00:23 PM »
Poor babe, at least tomorrow sounds like all her traumas will be over either way, lets hope so anyway  :hug:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2008, 15:58:40 PM »
Sorry but in that position, I would have been in every day and made every effort to pay even some of the bill. I know we don't know all the circumstances but 2 weeks between visits doesn't strike me as a loving owner.

I'm being devils' advocate here Mark, but if you are that broke, then you are that broke. It is sometime just not possible for a person to scrape together two pennies with which to bless themselves. When you are in that position, and being dunned by creditors and constantly being reminded of all the things you should/could do if you had the funds, then a daily dose of 'where's my money' is a high price to pay for daily visits to a cat you know is being well-cared for. I have been in that position and know how it feels so would not judge this person too quickly.

On the other hand they may just be an irresponsible sod who prefers to spend their cash on Christmas booze - until you know their situation, it does not seem reasonable to be on your high horse about them... any more than it was appropriate to be on the high horse with the vet surgery for phoning round ...

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2008, 15:56:11 PM »
I knew about this form Mark, but personally anyone who has a cat for 4 wks at the vets and dosnt see it.. Do they care..

PB pls let us know tomorrow about this puss as poor mite must be getting cramp by now in a cage for a month..

I hope they sign him over.. Any idea how he got the injury, age or name..?

I'm quite happy to go and collect him if need be - I am planning a PAH trip so will be right there.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2008, 15:54:47 PM »
Well, I never try to judge things as we never know all the facts, but if the nurse is being truthful this owner has been given enough rope. :tired: She told me the vet offered that if he paid once a week towards clearing the bill they would have given puss back by now - that was 2 weeks back when they last saw him and he still hasn't given anything. And she did say (off the record!!) the bill for the owner would have been drastically reduced had he shown genuine concern for the cat and financial distress.

Sharon, I've no details on the cat at all. I will call again tomorrow lunchtime to see what else we can do. But she has called ALL the rescues so perhaps this one may be picked up by someone else first. Nonetheless, I said we'd accept puss into our care.  ;)

But it has made me think that cats with owners and homes don't always have a nice Xmas. Poor soul!  :(

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2008, 15:46:48 PM »
I would think in law Des that that would have had to have been spelled out to them at the time of the cat going in, because officially the cat was in the vets care and she wasn't just abandoned.  And in theory, that could be said of a lost cat in a rescues care if an owner came forward after a couple of weeks.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2008, 15:43:33 PM »
When I was talking to our HQ last year over Tom, I was told that if someoen doesn't provide food, litter and shelter for a cat for two weeks, they are legally no longer the owners, so dont know if you could use that to get them to sign him over.
Please spay your cat

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2008, 15:41:39 PM »
I knew about this form Mark, but personally anyone who has a cat for 4 wks at the vets and dosnt see it.. Do they care..

PB pls let us know tomorrow about this puss as poor mite must be getting cramp by now in a cage for a month..

I hope they sign him over.. Any idea how he got the injury, age or name..?

Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2008, 15:31:27 PM »
Sorry but in that position, I would have been in every day and made every effort to pay even some of the bill. I know we don't know all the circumstances but 2 weeks between visits doesn't strike me as a loving owner.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2008, 15:18:31 PM »
The sad thing in all this, if the guy is on Benefits, he would have been entitled to go on the PDSA scheme but would have had to have registered before the injury.  What a mess and if he's not been to see the cat in 2 weeks, is he that bothered at getting her back  >:(  Let us know the outcome, I hope whatever it is, it's going to be the best one for the cat  :hug:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2008, 15:13:34 PM »
Okay, here's the skinny as far as I've gleaned.  :sneaky:

This poor puss has been stuck there since 14th Dec. His bill comprises a long acting antibiotic and a drain among other things. Sounds as if it was left for too long before taking in for treatment if you ask me. The owner is on benefits and has been dancing around the issue of paying as he just can't afford the bill. He does claim to want the cat back BUT the owner hasn't been to visit puss for 2 weeks.  :'( :censored:

It seems to be a case of them ringing round everyone trying to get someone to take responsibility for this cat. The vet has had enough as they are boarding this cat for nothing. The threat of not allowing the cat back to the owner is more of a bluff, I feel.

I have said we will gladly take responsibility if the owner wishes to rehome, but the bill is another matter. The nurse gave a strong hint that if we took this pud into our care, the bill wouldn't be coming out way. They do take our point about us being a charity and we cannot pay private bills.

After the vet forced the issue today, the owner is due to visit the cat tomorrow and discuss things with the vet. But if he goes for the rehoming option the nurse will call us back.

So I wouldn't say the vet is being a villian here, but he's obviously had enough and needs to get paid. I think we need to hope the owner signs over as puss isn't being well care for in my view.  :(

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2008, 14:58:42 PM »
PB has spoken to them and is  typing a message on here so everyone can see what the outcome was (I don't know yet  :-: )
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 14:59:51 PM by Mark »

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2008, 14:57:01 PM »
It all sounds very naughty and I really hope this poor cat gets sorted out.    I would think if they have the vets on their premises, they do have to be answerable to a degree  :sneaky:  Good luck anyway Mark and let us know how you get on  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2008, 14:54:00 PM »
In that case I would contact Pets at Home HQ and find out what is going on, find out whether they can in fact hold an animal for that length of time and how they can justify a £200 vet bill.

I know PAH will say it's nothing to do with them and it's a separate business that rents space from them.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2008, 14:53:09 PM »
PB is going to phone them to find out what's going on. It's our local branch where I overheard them talking about guinea pigs as "stock"

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2008, 14:51:00 PM »
In that case I would contact Pets at Home HQ and find out what is going on, find out whether they can in fact hold an animal for that length of time and how they can justify a £200 vet bill.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2008, 14:48:56 PM »
ah, first cause the problem, the expect someone else to clean up the mess I guess!!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2008, 14:48:18 PM »
Yep, some Pets at Home stores have vets, the Oldham one does. Not sure how good they are, and I certainly wouldnt think of going there for a vet!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2008, 14:46:00 PM »
It's the PAH vet  >:(

As in Pets at Home or have I gone suddenly stupid  :Crazy:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 14:45:00 PM »
I just realised who this vet is

It's the PAH vet  >:(

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 14:29:02 PM »
As you say there is more to this than meets the eye. Most vets do agree payments. They may have done more than stitch a paw. They may have had trouble getting paid in the past. It could be many things. I was surprised that a vet could think a CP branch would just hand over money to settle a bill though.

Our vet quoted less than that for a full exploratory including bloods and anesthesia on Alice  :Crazy:
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 14:30:27 PM by Mark »

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 14:25:59 PM »
This is where I think life is cruel, we don't know the situation the owner is in and I think it's unforgiveable what the vet is doing.  Personally I would begrudge spending that amount on a cut paw and I would let the vet know but a lot of vets are crafty and won't actually give you a price when you go in.   One of my vets gives you a set price on any op and that is all you pay and this includes follow ups, my usual vet doesn't do this and you end up paying more so it might be an idea to get the full picture before judging this person as being unfit to look after their pet.  You may be right Mark, and they may not deserve to be looking after an animal but this owner may also love this cat to bits, I hope it's the latter.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 14:16:48 PM »
Mark, it isn't that easy to take money out of benefits.
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 14:15:12 PM »
A lot of people don't just have £200 lying around and that price is extortionate for a cut paw.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 14:11:30 PM »
Hopefully, Julie will call this time and she can ask them. Basically, if he isn't paying and signs the cat over to us, he won't get it back as he is unable to care for it properly.

It's a shame the RSPCA don't offer loans that can be collected from wages or benefits if they are so almighty  :tired:
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 14:12:26 PM by Mark »

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 14:08:36 PM »
Mark, I'm talking about the local branch of the RSPCA not the HQ.   I know we do sometimes pay towards vet bills but it would have to be put in writing and would definitely be worth a try.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 14:06:21 PM »
You took the words out of my mouth, Dawn.

£200 for a stitched paw???  :shify:  :censored: :censored: It's not much more than that for a leg amputation.  :tired:

All sounds a bit fishy to me, Mark.  :sneaky:

Julie,

I have an idea. I will PM you their number. Maybe you can winkle more info out of them? - the thing Sharon asked is what will happen to the cat if the vet doesn't get their money?  :scared: - as you said, it all looks a bit fishy.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 14:04:33 PM »
The RSPCA won't pay  :Crazy:

They will only pay £50 towards an RTA so certainly won't settle vet bills. They have to think of their millions of pounds they have in the bank. They only like to spend it on propaganda  :-:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 14:03:33 PM »
You took the words out of my mouth, Dawn.

£200 for a stitched paw???  :shify:  :censored: :censored: It's not much more than that for a leg amputation.  :tired:

All sounds a bit fishy to me, Mark.  :sneaky:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 13:48:49 PM »
I'm not sure how a vet can charge £200 for a stitched paw, robbing  :censored:  :sneaky:  Has the owner contacted the RSPCA?  It might be an idea the owner writing to the local branch and seeing if they can help towards some of the payment.  They obviously cared about the cat to take it to the vets in the first place.  I hope the cat manages to go back home again.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 13:28:00 PM »
Seems a little perverse of the vet. After all, while the cat is there it is costing him money and if the owner is willing to establish a payment programme then they are relieved of the aggravation feeding and cleaning up after the cat, and the owner gets their cat back. Strange attitude - may be there is more to the story and the vet has a good reason for not agreeing to a payment plan (owner a flight risk etc). Still, I was under the impression that if an owner was unable to afford treatment a vet took possession of the animal and relinquished it into care when all else failed

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 13:26:53 PM »
Can't you pay it and have the cat?

Mabe we could donate to ward him/her

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Call received today - GOOD NEWS
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 13:23:38 PM »
A local un-named vet called today (not one we use) They said one of their clients bought their cat in 4 weeks ago with an injured paw which they have stitched but the customer hasn't got the money to pay the £200 bill and would we pay it?  :Crazy: - I explained that we are a charity with very little money and we struggle to pay vet bills for stray cats so don't have money to pay people bills for them. She said "We tried pet aid and they don't want to know either"  >:( - I said it's not a case of not wanting to know, we just don't have money to pay people's private bills. I said surely  your bill is increasing all the time you keep it? - wouldn't it be better to give him the cat and arrange a payment schedule with him? - she said "No - the bill isn't increasing but the vet won't give it back until the bill is paid in full - even if he paid us £20 a week, that would be another 10 weeks before he could have the cat back" - I said he must have known he couldn't afford it so should have gone to the PDSA first or spoken to you about it. I have phoned an animal grant charity Sharon told me about but waiting for them to call back. It says they only have £1000 a month in total to give out so not looking hopeful.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 17:42:12 PM by Mark »

Link to CatChat