Author Topic: Charlie's Story  (Read 2806 times)

Offline kelly-joy

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
Re: Charlie's Story
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2007, 19:46:38 PM »
Just to let you all know that Charlie has now got a lovely new home yay!

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 15:40:15 PM »
 :'( :'( :'( that had me in tears, i really feel for the poor lady.

Thank goodness the Blue Cross rang you.
He is 100% handsome , lets hope he finds his new forever home soon xxxx

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 15:34:37 PM »
I want him !  :Luv:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 15:23:23 PM »
What a gorgeous boy  :Luv:  So pleased they contacted you and you can help.  I really feel for his poor owner, being told he would be pts if they could not find somewhere for him  >:(  At least she can be sure nothing will happen to Charlie now, and he will be found a wonderful new forever home.

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 13:51:14 PM »
Thank god he was saved.. he is such a beautiful boy - look at those eyes  :Luv: :Luv:

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 12:41:00 PM »
Oh Kelly - thank goodness Charlie was saved, what a lovely ending for a lovely boy, his story has brought tears to my eyes.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 08:19:02 AM »
Glad his bloods are fine, and fingers crossed for him to find a good new home.
Please spay your cat

Offline kelly-joy

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 19:45:19 PM »
It truley is a sad story. I have him here with me at the moment and he is such a lovely boy and such a purr box and headbutts away. It would have been a total disaster him being but to sleep as he is such a lovely old chap.His blood results came back all great so in a few weeks time hopefully he will be off to a new home where he can be loved and spoilt just as he should be.

www.ukrcc.co.uk

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 19:39:33 PM »
What a sad sad story, such a shame that her carers didnt' do more - there is a charity specifically for this kind of situation, The Cinnamon Trust, I think more awareness needs to be raised about it. Thankfully this one has a happy ending, but it makes you wonder how many others dont have someone who thinks of ringing rescues, and just takes them to the vets (although hopefully the majority of vets have contacts to step in).
Please spay your cat

Offline hannah (weeny)

• Honorary Cat
  • JASPER!!
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 19:28:41 PM »
he is absolutely beautiful  :Luv:

i'm so upset reading this though, that poor poor woman.....  i dont think i even have the words...  i hope this is taken the way it is meant when i say why on earth wouldnt those around her have just.... fibbed.  (obviously you know that i think under no circumstances should he be pts) but......  god that poor woman.

thank goodness and well done that there are wonderful people like you and those mentioned that were there to help both charlie and his mum xxx

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
  • Mum to Sophie and Oscar
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 19:17:39 PM »
It is wonderful that you were able to help Charlie and his poor owner.  It is sad that she had all that distress at this time.  It goes to show what marvellous work you do Kelly-Joy

Offline kelly-joy

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
Charlie's Story
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 18:50:22 PM »
Charlie is approx 10 years old. He is a blue bi-coloured male Ragdoll. He is currently in the care of the UKRCC, following a rescue on Tuesday.

We were contacted by the Blue Cross and they asked for our help to secure the safety of a Ragdoll who had come to their attention the evening before. Charlie was facing being put to sleep if he did not find a home by the end of this week. His owner had contacted the Blue Cross, in despair. She was extremely ill, with only days left to live and had no one to take Charlie into their care. She had no family, her neighbours had no wish to help and so her carers told her that he would have ot be PTS. The Blue Cross did not have a rescue centre in or near the area where Charlie lived and so they contacted some more local animal rescues to explain the situation, all of whom were unable to help. On Tuesday the Blue Cross found the UKRCC website and phoned us to explain Charlie's plight and to ask for our help. Within half an hour of receiving that phone call from the blue Cross, we had co-ordinated with the owner and several of our volunteers and arrangements were set to take Charlie into fostercare.

On a brief personal note, we were totally disgusted that Charlie's owner, had not been shown more compassion and that no one involved in her palliative care had made the effort to make arrangement for Charlie to be rehomed, so that his owner had the peace of mind that he would be safe and well cared for. This was a terminally ill lady, in the last stages of her illness and she was expected to cope with the news that her companion of 10 years+ would be put to sleep, along with all she was suffering. We cannot imagine the distress and sadness she must have felt, but we are honoured to have been able to speak with her and reassure her that Charlie would be loved and well cared for and found a home. During a short phone conversation, this lady was given the peace of mind she was looking for and certainly that she deserved. Charlie's situation demonstrated the importance of the human side of the work of the UKRCC. It is well known that there are people who will not support animal charities, because they feel that charities that support people are more worthy. Many animal charities do in fact help people, providing advice, counselling and support for pet owners, as is demonstarted in Charlie's case. His owner has been given reassuarnce and peace of mind in regard to something very important to her, her Raggie companion and that is something that no human only charity could or would give her. Charlie's story is a symptom of a failing society

Charlie was taken into the care of the UKRCC on Tuesday evening. As his owner was so frail and obviously very, very distressed, we were unable to gain very much information about Charlie or his medical history. While in the care of the UKRCC he will be having a full health check, a full blood profile, to check his liver and kidney function etc. any necessary treatment, followed by a vaccination course and assessment, before he goes to a new home.

Charlie seems healthy and has certainly been well loved and cared for throughout his life. He is a gentle, affectionate boy and is coping well, considering he has been separated from his Mum, under such sad and distressing circumstances. At the weekend, we shall be going to collect Charlie and bring him back to a longer term foster home. We do have a potential permanent home for him, pending health check, vaccination and assessment.

We would like to thank the Blue Cross for giving us the opportunity to help Charlie and his owner and for their concern and offer of financial support for him. Also heart felt thanks to our rescuers and foster carers, Gail, Hannah, Steve and Kelly, without whom, Charlie may not have had the opportunity for his happy ending. Your help is so appreciated. 

And so here he is, Charlie, the handsome little man that was running out of time and was under threat of being put to sleep. I am sure you will agree it would have been a complete tragedy

www.ukrcc.co.uk

Link to CatChat