Author Topic: Cat flaps that the cat cant open???  (Read 1712 times)

Offline shykitty

• Kitten
Re: Cat flaps that the cat cant open???
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 22:57:35 PM »
Hi, Im so glad you are all fans of this wonderful product - I recently bought a petporte by emailing Milly on bestcatflaps@aol.com - she sent it and I got it 2 days after paying by Paypal.  It only cost £89.99 - usually they are over £120 and more. 

I had a black one as have a black front door.  She has black, white & brown. 

Its a fantastic product and keeps the local smelly tom from terrorising my cats - they were scared and started to spray themselves in the house - this Petporte has stopped all that!! Its great!

Email her, even for advice and to see if she thinks it can help your situation.    bestcatlaps@aol.com  :wow: :wow: :wow:

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
  • Bronte, Dino, Huxley & Heidi
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 20:14:40 PM »
The dusk/dawn sensor is a mode so only comes on if you set it to. The vet mode allows it to lock so they can come in but not go back out again. Ours is in a uPVC door but I'm pretty certain they have loads of different fittings for it. I'll just go look up the website for you and link it:

http://www.petporte.com/

The only thing I could see it doesn't do is you can't lock it to stop them getting in but then I've never needed that setting on it.

Offline rachelburdett20

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 20:08:52 PM »
Thanks for the replys, i was concidering a pet porte any way but our cat flap is fitted through a wall with a tunnel would it be posible to fit it through a wall and can you over ride the dawn/ dusk senser and manually set it to lock so they can come in but not go out when you want to, for example if i was to go out in the afternoon could i lock it so they can come in but not go out again

thanks

rachel

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 14:57:50 PM »
There is another one on the market now that you can lock - I cant remember who makes it but Ill check when i go to the vets this week!

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
  • Bronte, Dino, Huxley & Heidi
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 14:29:17 PM »
I have a petporte. You can't set it to lock when the last cat comes in but it does have a day and night sensor. It can be set to lock when it senses dusk and unlock at dawn. Once it locks it will still let your cats in but won't let them back out. It can also be sent to vet mode where it will lock and stop them from getting out until you turn the vet mode off.

However, I also have one cat who scratches and bangs at all cat flaps until she gets them opened. What she has figured out with the petporte is that if she pulls the wires she disconnects it from the electric and can get out. Time for a rethink on how we have the wire secured and get the manual out again.

It is quite expensive but for me it was worth it. I have 4 cats who come and go as they please and then are supposed to stay in at night. They are forever losing collars so constantly replacing lost magnets or infra-red plus collars would soon have mounted up to more than the cost of the petporte.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 14:02:35 PM »
Clever kitty!

Are they microchipped?  The only thing I can think of is a pet porte catflap which give access by the microchip.  I think you can set them to lock automatically whenever the last cat comes in...but they are about £100  :Crazy:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 13:51:59 PM »
I have that problem too. My oldest tom Jack just headbutts it until the magnetic seal gives way and then marches out with a "Bah, like that'll stop me" expression. We currently have a kitten that is due to be spayed any day now so it's pretty difficult her at the moment!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline rachelburdett20

• Adult Cat
Cat flaps that the cat cant open???
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 11:29:04 AM »
Hi

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem, we have a staywell 4 way locking catflap thats fitted into the wall, if i need to go out/in the evenings i will lock it so they can come in but not get out again, only problem is mia has discovered how to pull the cat flap towards her and get out.

Is there another make of cat flap that wont allow her to do this??, this one has a magnetic strip and she still manages it, they dont wear collers so one that involves a magnetic key would be no good

Rachel

Link to CatChat