Cat Health & Behaviour > Health & Behaviour General

Bit worried about my Cat.....

(1/3) > >>

Ela:

--- Quote ---but if I had your attitude my cats would LIVE at the vets.
--- End quote ---

rrrrr well it is that gut feeling and instinct, thankfully the cats are not that ill too often so I don't get it often. Also as I say every time it has been necessary.

Hippykitty:
I don't disagree with the policy of taking a cat to the vet immediately when it is needed, but if I had your attitude my cats would LIVE at the vets.

Ela:

--- Quote ---Although I think Ela is being a bit alarmist,
--- End quote ---
You are entitled to your opinion but all I can say it has always worked for me, every time I  had that gut feeling my cat needed to see a vet as something was wrong even the one that it did not show illness for a couple of days. My gut instinct has saved the life or sometimes prevented suffering and a cat has needed to be PTS although to me a layperson there was not really anything noticeable. One cat Tango I had looked so well ate his breakfast as normal on the Saturday, come Saturday tea time I put his food out and he just sat in a different place than normal and did not go to his food. I just knew all was not well, so I rang the vet who was still at the surgery and he asked me to bring Tango straight down. Tango was a little feisty to say the least and so the vet sedated him slightly to give him a thorough MOT and there at the back of his throat was a large tumour. I could have bought him home but Eric said I would only be returning in a few days. So while Tango was sedated we let him go. Honestly it was one of my biggest shocks as he looked so well. I am a big believer in not waiting another day to see how it is. We all know our cat and even if they just lay differently or somewhere unusual I can tell something is not right. Even if nothing was found I personally would rather pay a consultation fee and have piece of mind than be worrying about the fact that the little one may be ill. If I even think a cat is ill I would not be able to sleep then again they keep me awake anyway but at least I am not worrying.

Hippykitty:
Although I think Ela is being a bit alarmist, an MOT would be wise if you feel there's something wrong. My personal view is that this is normal feline behaviour during the winter - they almost hibernate. They become less active and stay by the fire. Cats dislike cold or rain. Also 11 is middle aged, so your cat may be a bit creaky and have a few ageing aches and pains which don't respond well to cold.
Often, during the summer, you don't know you  have a cat, they are out so much (Polly and Sam were like this, before the sun induced cancer in P's white ears...now she has to stay indoors and winter is the only time she's allowed out during daylight). Come winter, however, and puss won't leave the comforts of home, except maybe for a short constitutional stroll.
On the whole, don't worry, unless your cat stops eating, playing, and looks dull (third eyelid showing etc).  :yawn:

Ela:
If it were my cat I personally would take it to the vet for a MOT even if in the morning  they were OK then later in the day they perhaps sat where they don't usually sit, it is that gut feeling. only once did the vet not find anything and I felt a bit daft, but a couple of days later that cat came down with something and was very ill, so again I think my instinct was right. I just picked up on it before the illness really got hold.

Regarding litter trays, if people adopt from Cats Protection they need to sign a homing form and it asks will you provide a litter tray  and keep the cat in at night. We always say   litter tray should be provided irrespective of your cats age even if they are allowed out, if you keep an eye on what your cat is passing, you can spot many problems, e.g, cystitis is very common in cats and needs urgent Veterinary treatment. It is shown up if the cat uses the tray frequently and or, passes blood, something you would never know if you had no tray. We find that the wood pellets are excellent there is no smell of urine whatsoever.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version