Cat Health & Behaviour > Health & Behaviour General

Fleas can cause death - Don't let this be your pet

(1/6) > >>

Ela:
That is your choice, perhaps you could discuss tthis with your vet. All I can say is we have over the years dozens possibly hundreds of old cats in their late teens and twenties, all have been treated for fleas and worms on a regular basis.

Hippykitty:
Thanks ela, but it's their age which concerns me most regarding deworming, as I believe that tapeworm treatment can be quite nasty. I don't want to upset my cats equilibrium and send them into decline.

Ela:
quote]Does anyone think my attitude is mistaken? If so, why? (If it ain't broke, don't fix it!)[[/quote]

You very often do not see worms until they are endemic. If you suspect your cat had a flea they they most certainly will have tapeworms and of course round worms and others are common and not always seen.

Even indoor cats need flea and worm treatments on a regular basis.

Perhaps you will care to read www.petplanet.co.uk/pests_worms_cats.asp

Hippykitty:
Although I'm an experienced cat owner who regularly defleas with Frontline spot-on, I very rarely worm my cats. This is because they don't have pot bellies or wriggly things round their bums (which they show me every time they sit on my lap!). My reason for this is that they are very old (17 and 20 approx) and I don't like to stress them with too much medication. They are both very healthy for their ages.
Does anyone think my attitude is mistaken? If so, why? (If it ain't broke, don't fix it!)
It's not the hassle of giving pills which worries me (I'm good at that now), but the biological stress to their systems of having to deal with the worming pills.

Ela:

--- Quote ---Should you do carpets and bedding as well on a regular basis? No-one has ever told me to do that
--- End quote ---

It is a good idea to spray once a year, Staykill from the vets or cheaper from the  on-line pharmacy lasts 1 year. Please remember if ordered from the on-line pharmacy that if you go onto their site via one of the links from one  of the sites shown on the Rescur Room ( found under Rainbow Bridge) that  rescue will get a small commission

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version