Author Topic: What a bad start to the year  (Read 3636 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: What a bad start to the year
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2009, 19:48:11 PM »
Home check went well, he is going to his new home on Fri as long as his tum settles and his scabs respond to the ab's. Have also had an update on Tom, who is doing well, which is nice to hear.

Did have some sad news though, one of my foster kittens from last year was run over on New Years Day - his mum was run over shortly after she went back to her owner, so there may be something about that family. They would like to consider an indoor only cat though, so hopefully we will be able to help them out, although dont have any at the moment.
Please spay your cat

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2009, 19:36:43 PM »
Finger crossed the home check goes well. :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2009, 10:36:42 AM »
Yep - and the people I met in the vets came round, and they are interested in Jeff. I am doing the homecheck this afternoon, and hopefully he can go next Fri (he is on ab's till Wed). Don't worry about being negative, I have been thinking that for a while. We did have a good first day though, all 6 kittens plus one adult at the rescue reserved, Jeff reserved from here, and I have someone interested in Kelly's foster cat, and Rach might have an interest in her foster kitten. The amount of people that want kittens and wont even consider the 1yo we have is scary though.
Please spay your cat

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2009, 16:20:26 PM »
Thank goodness for you and the team, Desley.  :Luv:

I have a horrible feeling that economic worries are going to make this a terrible year for rescues, as people experience genuine harship or use the prospect as an excuse.  Sorry to be so negative  :( but forewarned is forearmed, maybe...
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2009, 13:36:50 PM »
she hadn't just rang the vets asking to pts for that reason,

We get a lot like that too, fortunately our vet seems like yours and will not do 'the deed' without first contacting us, of course the vet knows our answer before they ask.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2009, 09:33:19 AM »
There was no choice with this one Ela, she hadn't just rang the vets asking to pts for that reason, she had made the appointment and the vet rang me while they were in the consultation room.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2009, 09:00:02 AM »
That is terrible - pts to solve the problem, I ask you

The sad thing is that myself, I am sure you and indeed most rescues in the country know how common this is. Fortunately I can always tell when it is geuine and always bring in the cat immediately otherwise I there is no way we would be able to take them all in straught away.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 13:17:47 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 22:35:03 PM »
I know MM, but it is looking slightly promising. While we were at the vets, there was a couple in teh waiting room, and my vet jokingly said that if they wanted another cat, there was one without a home - they are consideirng another cat at the moment, so they took my number, and they are going to come round tomorrow afternoon and discuss things. I think Jeff would be a better match, as Suzy (tortie) is a bit hissy so far, and their existing cat is an 11yo tortie - I wouldnt put two torties together!! Jeff does have some scabs from a flea allergy though. If they consider JEff, I might ring a local rescue to see if they can help out with Suzy, as they have a lot of success with homing oldies. Also going to get a poster up at the vets, and a friend is going to put one in the local pet shop for me. We have lots of kitten viewings tomorrow, and someone rang last night wanting a lap cat (shame Sam isn't right, he would have been perfect for her!!), so have sent her a pic of Harry, who is with KElly, and hopefully she will be interested in him, so we might be able to home some adults as well as kittens, which would be great.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 19:14:08 PM »
Well done on rescuing another 2 needy souls but do remember we have our limits  :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 10:57:46 AM »
What sites have you posted on for a home for the torti, Desley? Sorry it's been such a rough start. :hug: But as Sue says - you've done an amazing thing for Jeff and Madam Torti. :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 08:27:00 AM »
I do think it is going to be a bad year - the other rescue I do bits for are completely full too - they do dogs, cats and small furries.

IT certainly is, and bad timing as I have just gone back to work!! These two are lucky, it just means that I will have to say no until someone gets rehomed (and at the moment only two can be, depending on what the vet says about JEff tonight)
Please spay your cat

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 08:10:49 AM »
I was quite surprised that one of our larger local shelters started a re-homing campaign on Monday of this week, as they normally don't until mid month in January, but it seems they too are inundated not just with dogs and cats, but rabbits too.   :(  They had a beautiful litter of kittens which were just coming up to 7 weeks old and had been dumped in a skip in a cardboard box just before Christmas.   

8 cats is a lot for you to give shelter to, Desley, but again thank heavens you were able to step in for these two.  I hope they can both be re-homed to loving carers soon.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 08:03:31 AM »
That is one way of looking at it Sue!!

Jeff is eating very well, and he has finally let me see him out of the carrier, but he does have some scabs on his back - one looks like what Clover had, which was damage from flying through the cat flap, and we do know he has been 'forced' out of a catflap. Not sure about the other two patches though, but there is hardly any fur missing from those, so they might be older. Will take the Frontline to the vets with me.

I cant remeber what the tortie I am picking up tonight is called though, but at least she is in good health. No offers of a foster home  yet though, so looks like I will be up to 8 cats tonight - only ever done 8 adults overnight once, so lets hope someone gets rehomed soon.

The only enquiries I have had this week have been for kittens - one person rang yesterday and was querying us not opening till Sat, and then asked if I knew anywhere else she could go for a kitten - it is only 2 more days till we open for heaven's sake. Mind you, we only have 6 kittens in, and I know I have told 3 people to ring back on Sat, and we had someone before Christmas interested, so a few people are going to be disappointed.
Please spay your cat

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 07:54:02 AM »
Not a good start to the new year at all in one respect for you Desley, but for the two you've been generous enough to help, you're a Godsend.  :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 09:34:45 AM »
Im sorry your year has started off so badly ,i take my hat off to you all for the hard work and dedication you put in to go that extra mile for these poor kitties, i hope things start to pick up for you all in this worrying time  :hug: :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 09:08:58 AM »
Sounds like you're starting the year much the same as us Desley....  gawd only knows what this year has in store for us all!

Hope that you manage to get things settled your end and things under control :hug:
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 09:02:42 AM »
What a start! I do hope you can sort something out soon for them both and there isn't more to come so soon
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 08:07:30 AM »
As I woke up to snow this morning, I was really glad we managed to catch the stray - he is currently camped out in the cat carrier in the bathroom, so definitely likes to hide, but he didnt hiss at me when I stroked him this morning, and he has wolfed his food overnight (friend had fed him about 4 pouches last night, I wasn't quite that generous). Just need to get the vets to keep the tortie till tomorrow for me, or it will be 3 visits in as many days!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 00:01:50 AM »
That is terrible - pts to solve the problem, I ask you  >:( You must despair Des.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 22:22:31 PM »
You are right this year is not starting well  :(

I hope that someone can take her on, its lower than -8 here a couple of hours ago and they are forcasting about -11 in the country. A very bad time to be a stray cat  :'(

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
What a bad start to the year
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 21:51:18 PM »
Had an e-mail off a friend at weekend, there had been a new cat around for a while, but they assumed it was a neighbours as he had a collar with two bells on, although it became obvious over Christmas that he was a stray, so asked for advice, as he is timid but gets hissy when approached. Last night she enticed him into the house, and it was obvious he is an older cat, and not in great condition, so as I drove to work in minus 5 (it was actually minus 7 by the time I got there), I decided I would re-arrange the cats in the house to squeeze him in. He arrived tonight, with a nice food donation and while he was allowing us to stroke him when straight out of his carrier, he is now hissing when I approach him. He will be going to be scanned on Thurs. The people who have been feeding him have called him Jeff, and he is a lovely dark tabby.

This afternoon at work, the vet rang - I never like that when I dont have any cats there!! She asked how full I was, so I said very, but what did she need? Someone had brought in a 13yo to be pts as they had acquired it from their daughter due to allergies, and now the dog wasn't getting on with it. They got permission to rehome, but on the understanding that if they couldnt, they would pts. So my options are find it a place, or allow her to be pts - I popped in on my way home, and she is a lovely cat, a dark tortie, but quite affectionate. I am putting a plea out to see if someone can hold her for a few days for me, or indeed wants to rehome her, but other than that she will come here either tomorrow or Thurs, I Can't allow her to be pts while she is in good health.

So, we haven't officially opened for the year yet, but I have had to agree to two today, and the main rescue person has turned some people away this week as she is poorly. Doesn't bode well for a good or quiet year.
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat