Author Topic: HELP US URGE TESCO TO GO CAGE-FREE!  (Read 4929 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: HELP US URGE TESCO TO GO CAGE-FREE!
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 07:25:02 AM »
The supermarkets always blame the customers and say that they wouldn't sell them if there wasn't a demand for cheap eggs. That is a flawed argument as if all eggs were free-range, it would bring the price down. I have only bought free-range eggs since the 80's when I first became aware. Another thing to watch out for is ready-made items such as cakes, as they are often made with battery eggs. Marks & Spencer  products are all made using free range - I'm not sure if there are any others - I would imagine Waitrose are the same.

The same goes for the chickens. They are reared in appalling conditions. If you see a chicken with red marks on its wings, its because they are fed so many hormones etc, they have to use their wings to stop falling over and develop sores etc. All so the likes of Tesco can sell 2 chickens for £4 etc. I know there are a lot of people that are on a tight budget but that is no excuse to buy meat from animals that have suffered. I would always say cut down on meat but obly buy free-range. You can buy 2 legs in Asda for under £2. I know the veggies will say that isn't far enough but its the best we will ever get as people will always eat meat.

Eating less of, but better quality meat isn't only better for animals, its better for our health as well.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 07:48:01 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

MBll

HELP US URGE TESCO TO GO CAGE-FREE!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 00:10:45 AM »

In July, Advocates for Animals will be embarking on a 10-day tour of major Scottish cities as part of our ‘I’m Cage-Free!’ campaign in a bid to encourage the superstore, Tesco, to end the sale of eggs from caged hens. We will be visiting Tesco stores across the country joined by Hetty, a 6-foot battery hen, and a body screen TV, showing footage of the terrible conditions egg-laying hens endure on battery farms.

As you will know, a typical metal battery cage is about the size of a microwave oven, is completely barren and houses four or more hens for a year. Each hen has a floor area about the size of a piece of A4 paper. The hens cannot even fully stand up straight or stretch their wings, never mind run or fly. All they can do is eat, drink, pass waste and of course lay eggs. Confinement and overcrowding cause frustration, chronic suffering, severe bone weakness, osteoporosis and physical deformity - egg-laying hens suffer a miserable life, they need our help.

Tesco is the largest supermarket in the UK which has yet to commit to selling only cage-free eggs. We will be urging Tesco to follow in the footsteps of other supermarkets such as Sainbsurys and Morrisons who have recently implemented a date to work towards all eggs sold being cage-free. Tesco’s biggest suppliers, Glenrath Farm Limited, was recently exposed by Advocates’ investigators to be breaching Scottish animal welfare regulations on one of its many battery farms.

We want to encourage Scottish shoppers to go CAGE-FREE! We will be looking for volunteers to help distribute our leaflets, educate shoppers about the cruelty of the battery cage and we will also need a volunteer to dress up in a human-sized battery hen costume! Dates and locations are below:

Monday 9 July – Dunfermline & Kirkcaldy     Monday 16 July – Stirling & Glasgow

Tuesday 10 July – Perth & Dundee            Tuesday 17 July  - Kilmarnock & Ayr

Wednesday 11 July – Aberdeen                Wednesday 18 July – Castle Douglas & Dumfries

Thursday 12 July – Inverness                            Thursday 19 July - Galashiels

Friday 13 July – Fort William & Oban          Friday 20 July - Edinburgh

If you are able to attend any of these events please contact me for further information on 0131 225 6039 or e-mail joanne@advocatesforanimals.org.

THANK YOU in advance and I look forward to hearing from you!

Joanne Sim

Campaigns Assistant
Advocates for Animals
10 Queensferry Street, Edinburgh, EH2 4PG, Scotland, UK
Tel:  +44 (0) 131 225 6039
Fax:  +44 (0) 131 220 6377
www.advocatesforanimals.org

Email from SARA

PS Also hundreds of barn kept hens/ducks etc are crammed into sheds & have no room to turn/walk or stretch they are up to waste in their own dirt etc. This is just as cruel as caged hens (from me)

Link to CatChat