Author Topic: Moving house checklist!  (Read 2303 times)

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
Re: Moving house checklist!
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 20:31:58 PM »
The most important thing you need to have in your nbew house for when you fetch her from the cattery is..........................................

A packet of DREAMIES  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :rofl: :rofl: :hug:

Good luck with the move.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 20:02:40 PM »
I would think about cat proofing the garden if possible then she can have the best of both worlds

Congrats on the new house - more furniture to buy and the redecoration oh the fun with colour schemes a great way tos tart the new year and decade
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 19:11:54 PM »
Cats can map in their head very well and I went ddown from London to DEven 5 yrs ago for Christmas and took Kocka with me.

We had a stunning peaceful time there and on the way back we stopped at a service place on the motorway.

Kocka then used to go for a walk with me, on a harness and she started walking and walking and walking and I suddenly realized where she was going, she was heading to the place where we turned in cos she wanted to go back there and not home!  I didnt want to go home either cos it was hell and we were moving in 3 weeks to here.

Soi  goes to show that they map even when they are in the car in a place they dont know.

Sasa also does this when she has been to the vets and she starts bouncing in her cage as we turn up my road, cos she knows shes home and wants to get out! We will have travelled 50 miles by then!

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 19:11:45 PM »
Yes that's a thought - there's lots of houses and I very much doubt she'd wander....

... hmmm thinking about it I really do think that a few forays into the garden in the Summer would be nice, but on the whole an indoor life would suit her better (and me lol!) and I can already see her stretched out infront of the new gas fire  :evillaugh: Plus we have radiators in the new place (instead of storage heaters) and so i'm going to get a radiator bed for her!

I just love her so much and want her to be happy  :)
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 19:06:59 PM »
If she rarely goes out then she shouldnt have a territory anywhere near your new place, thinking where i could get in 5 mins from here is alot further than the area my lot frequent.
If it was a straight walk through a field then more of a worry but a built up area has plenty of obstructions for a homely sounding katie

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 19:02:12 PM »
Thanks Millie,

I'm actually consdering keeping her as an indoor cat and could do with some advice. She very rarely goes out at all even in the Summer and really just spends her days snoozing in the sun inside. I'm not sure whether this has been that we've not had a proper garden before, whereas now we'll have a big back garden and bushes round the back for her to explore and she might want to go out more. I kind of like the fact that I know where she is all the time and I think that going from a 1 bed flat to a 2 bed semi, she'll have more space and can keep safe  :)

I think that I might keep her indoors over the Winter and see how she settles. When the Summer is here I can see how we feel then. We're o a quiet cul de sac, but I still always worry about her wandering off or fighting with other cats (yep, i'm a paranoid meowmy!!!)

Hmmm, just seen your post Gill - the house is around a 5 minute walk away and although it's far away from anywhere she's ever been it's something i'd not considered!

Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 19:01:41 PM »
 :luck: with the move!  :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 18:57:37 PM »
Is the new place far from where you are now?

The closer it is the longer she will need to stay in. I would keep her in about the same time unless you are sure she cannot start walking back to your old house.

I think a cattery is a good idea, Kocka was kept at the vets for me.

Hope the move goes really well  :hug:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 18:55:15 PM »
Congrats  ;D
If she doesnt mind id keep her in til spring arrives, i know my lot wouldnt as they barely go outside in winter  :innocent:

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
Moving house checklist!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 18:52:30 PM »
Well exciting news in the fact we've bought a house and hopefully will be moving in the new year!!!  :naughty:

I'm making a list of things for Katie as we've never moved with her before and I want it to be as straight forward as possible. I was thinking that I will pop her in the cattery for a couple of days whislt we move so that she's not under our feet and freaked out by all the boxes and then bring her home to the new house.

I know I have to change her microchip details, change the address with the vets, get a new disc engraved for her, get a feliway refill, decide on where to put her litter tray in the new house....

Have I forgotten anything?!

Also, how long do I need to keep her in the new place (it was 5 weeks before I let her out when I first got her)?

:thanks:

Link to CatChat