Author Topic: About to handrear 4 week old kittens any magic tips?!  (Read 1267 times)

Offline rachelburdett20

• Adult Cat
Re: About to handrear 4 week old kittens any magic tips?!
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 21:30:57 PM »
good idea with the thermos.....will be doing that, the less i have to move at 4 am the better!

mum is a feral, had kittens in a burnt out car, cpl are trapping mum and spaying her as there is a entire male hanging around her all the time and they dont want to create another feral colony.

Offline KittyB

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Rusalka, Orpheus, Tosca and Carmen
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 21:23:38 PM »
I don't know a lot as I've never done it myself. A fury hot water bottle might be useful. Something warm for them to snuggle up to when your trying to sleep? :)
Kitty x x x

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 21:20:23 PM »
Oooh, how exciting! Do you know what happened to Mum?  :shy:

Tiggy & Benji were handreared although they were around 5 weeks when they came to us so were lapping (cimicat - via sitting in the bowl itself) rather than being bottlefed! I would be wary of mixing the milk and keeping it hot due to bacteria forming but you could take a thermos flask of boiling water up to bed with you and pour that into a jug do it like you would a babies bottle - for babies you use cooled boiled water in the actual bottle, add the powder then put it in the jug of hot water to warm up.

As for finding indoor homes when the time comes, if your local rescue won't rehome kittens to indoor homes (my CP wouldn't and 95% of others wouldn't, RSPCA would to the right home and kittens in pairs) then I bet they have a steady stream of people enquiring about them so you could cream off the good ones  :naughty:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 21:14:50 PM »
Sorry cant help om your questions but well done  ;D

Offline rachelburdett20

• Adult Cat
About to handrear 4 week old kittens any magic tips?!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 21:10:25 PM »
Hi

Just wondered if anyone had any good tips for handrearing, just about to take on 4 week old kittens,
know the basics, cimicat, keep them warm, stimulate to toilet ect ect  as student vet nurse.

is there anyway of keeping milk at right temp over night so dont have to keep leaving bedroom to warm it ect, ect or some magic udder like set up so they can all suckle at once ect ect

any good sites for finding indoor homes / ones with cat proof gardens when the time hopefully comes as i know i wilol be super over protective of my babies :)

Thanks

Rachel

Link to CatChat