Cat Rescue & Rehoming > Rescue & Rehoming General

Help for Cat rescues from Pets At home ........

<< < (3/4) > >>

SamMewl:
Teresa - we used litter trays for 20 years, I know because when I started here as a volunteer I was cleaning them 3 days a week!

We have gained a lot of support over the time HCR has been running although it is still a small shelter run from the back garden of the founder. To ensure the survival of the rescue after the founder can no longer work and also to try and help the hundreds of cats that are always on our waiting list (currently about 400) it was decided that we need a bigger, permanent shelter. So a campaign manager was brought onboard to promote us and try and secure funding. Initially there was concern that this would actually divert funds that were desperately needed for the day to day running of the rescue, however, the campaign manager has developed our fundraising side enormously. Most weekends we do supermarket or street collections (which can raise anything from £200 to £800), tombolas at shows, table top sales etc. This weekend we will have a big orange cat complete with money buckets to follow the olympic torch around our nearby town!

There is always so much to do and worry about on site that without a seperate band of fundraising volunteers properly organised by the campaign manager we would be struggling a lot more than we are.

Teresa Pawcats:
Guess I`ve been doing it wrong all these years because I am still using old fashioned  litter trays and struggling to find funds to neuter every cat and more that needs it,good thing is we manage and volunteers are good and reliable but sadly will never be as gifted at fundraising.

SamMewl:

--- Quote from: Teresa Pawcats on June 14, 2012, 21:17:37 PM ---
--- Quote from: SamMewl on February 11, 2012, 09:42:15 AM ---They have been really good to us too. We got a grant for over £6000 last year, so we could put automated cat toilets (cat genies) into each pen, much nicer for the cats and the volunteers (except now when the pipes freeze :doh:).
They also let us do collections and tombolas in their store  :)

--- End quote ---

How wonderful, though I cant help but think how many cat spays could be done for £6000,

--- End quote ---

True - but we get enough from adoptions and fundraising to pay to spay every female cat that gets near us  :)
The thing with Pets at Home as well as applying for money from other trusts and foundations is that they like to fund a 'project' with a start and an end rather than just running costs. We rely on volunteers for cleaning and although we do have many and they are a HUGE help, it is not a reliable workforce. With the cat genies in we know that if no-one turns up its still possible to clean alll the pens everyday.

The in-store collections are a regular sorce of cash that we pretty much just hand over to the vet  :)

Teresa Pawcats:

--- Quote from: SamMewl on February 11, 2012, 09:42:15 AM ---They have been really good to us too. We got a grant for over £6000 last year, so we could put automated cat toilets (cat genies) into each pen, much nicer for the cats and the volunteers (except now when the pipes freeze :doh:).

--- End quote ---

How wonderful, though I cant help but think how many cat spays could be done for £6000,

SamMewl:
They have been really good to us too. We got a grant for over £6000 last year, so we could put automated cat toilets (cat genies) into each pen, much nicer for the cats and the volunteers (except now when the pipes freeze :doh:).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version