Author Topic: Find out why vets Cat Henstridge and Paul Manktelow want you to Neuter Your Pets!  (Read 1501 times)

Si

We paid 60 for the girls and Ella was slightly more expensive as she came into season early about three days before she was due to be done

Offline Ellen2010

• Distinguished Cat
  • Sophie 9/93 - 3/10/11 Play hard my little angel
  • Slave to: Timmy, Baby, Danita, Tia, Miffy and Domino
Looks like Cats protection has took an average price in the differences between areas as in my area for a female cat to be neutered is £30 tops and £20 tops for a male to be neutered (correct August 2008 when my youngest 2 cats were neutered aged both 5 months).

Dogs with Dogs Trust can also be neutered with their approved vets in the area that I live for £30 also this was checked last week for my next door neighbour that has a Staffie.

In the programme last night it said that a third of all animals are PTS because of the need for spaces and these are healthy animals.
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
Animal Madhouse vets Cat Henstridge and Paul Manktelow explain why neutering pets is so important.

Cat

The unwanted pet population is a huge problem, with over 100,000 dogs and 2 million cats stray across the UK. The problem is getting worse as people breed their pets, either by accident or design, without thinking about the consequences. During the series, I visit overstretched rescue kennels to talk about the problems they face and watch a perfectly healthy dog being put to sleep. After witnessing this and meeting the other dogs who will share a similar fate, you realise the true scale and tragedy of the issue. This is why I am so passionate about responsible pet ownership and neutering.

Having your pet neutered not only gives significant health benefits, it also means that they cannot add to the population of pets in this country. Although it may seem like a nice idea to have a litter from your dog or cat, the reality is there are far too many already. Every puppy or kitten that is bred prevents one from being rehomed from a rescue centre. These centres are overflowing with all sorts of animals desperate to find loving owners before the worst happens.

Vet Paul

In my everyday veterinary work I see many pets with health problems caused by being un-neutered; unwanted pregnancies, fight wounds and womb infections to name just a few. To keep an animal in a domestic situation you have to make decisions on their behalf and neutering is a positive step to improve the health of your pet. By launching the Balls Off and Spay Day campaign I hope to highlight the many health benefits of neutering. I feel that it is important that owners understand that neutering is an essential part of responsible pet ownership and not something to be ignored.

Read more about Animal Madhouse's Balls Off and Spay Day Campaign - http://www.channel4.com/programmes/animal-madhouse/articles/balls-off-and-spay-day-campaign

Charities' views on neutering

PDSA

Most people are aware that neutering their pets helps to stop unwanted pregnancies, thereby reducing the numbers of stray and abandoned pets. However, many pet owners don't realise the health benefits also associated with this procedure, such as preventing pyometra (a potentially life-threatening infection of the womb) as well as reducing the risk of prostate disease and breast cancer.

Neutered male cats are less likely to roam and fight, which in turn reduces their chances of getting feline AIDS (FIV), which is spread by bites and scratches. Neutering may also reduce aggression in dogs, but not always. Owners should speak to their vet for advice if their dog is behaving aggressively, and the recommended treatment may or may not include neutering.

Neutering is a vital part of responsible pet care, and has important health benefits. It also allows very social animals, such as rabbits, to be kept together without producing unwanted offspring. PDSA recommends that all owners speak to their vet about the health and welfare benefits of getting their pet neutered.

PDSA provides veterinary care to the sick and injured pets of people in need and promotes responsible pet ownership. The charity operates through a UK-wide network of 48 PetAid hospitals and over 350 PetAid practices (contracted private practices). To be eligible for PDSA care, pet owners must be in receipt of Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit and live within the designated postcode catchment area of their local PDSA PetAid service.

Pet owners can find out more by downloading a free copy of PDSA's Neutering leaflet

RSPCA

Neutering has many benefits that apply not only to dogs and cats but also to other small animals such as rabbits. It prevents female animals coming into season, when they may attract unwanted male attention, become pregnant or have false pregnancies.

Neutering also prevents the risk of testicular cancer in male animals and uterus infections and cancers in females. In male dogs and cats, neutering can reduce behaviors such as urine marking and roaming.

Some RSPCA branches, clinics and hospitals can help with subsidised/free neutering if pet owners are on a low income. Your vet will be able to offer further advice on the best time to neuter your pet and also on how much it will cost. This will depend on the species, size and sex of your pet.

Cats Protection

Cats Protection champions neutering as the only effective way to reduce the number of unwanted cats in the UK. During 2009 they helped neuter more than 160,000 cats making them the largest single cat neutering group in the world. Neutering is relatively cheap if you take into consideration the life-long benefits to your cat. Owners should expect to pay between £45-60 for a female cat and £25-40 for a male. Cats Protection offers financial assistance with the cost of neutering for anyone on a limited income.

Link to CatChat